Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• LiftedDisco
    United Kingdom 

Burning oil smell after early oil change?

Wondering if anyone might be able to assist...

I’ve had the early oil change scenario and had dropped this into Northampton to be told on collection that it was ‘only a software update’ and that this had been carried out...

Following this, I have had a weird smell of burning oil - lifting the bonnet shows that there is spillage around the filler cap and some apparent staining around the acoustic hood and down the side of the block by the vacuum drain point.

On speaking to the service manager, it turns out that my ‘software update’ also included an oil change (despite the fact that they had absolutely denied this when I collected...) and at some point I need to book the vehicle in to be cleaned...

Now, this hasn’t happened, mainly because it’s a fair old round trip to get to the dealer and I had thought that ‘a bit of spillage’ would simply burn off over time.

I’ve now got the situation where a drive on a bit of dual carriageway and come to a stop at traffic lights etc or run home and then reverse onto the drive leads to a definite smell of burning oil in the cabin.

This is now 2-3,000 miles after the alleged oil change / software update and I wonder if I have an ongoing leak...

Has anyone else experienced this?

Any thoughts - I’ve looked at the oil filter (thinking it may not be nipped up completely) and all appears to be dry...

Wot u fink folks????
  • Jim4244

Hi

I take it that we are talking about Guy Salmon Land Rover Northampton?

I have had 5 cars from this dealership but sadly the Dealer Principal was promoted and took over their premier LR showroom in Coventry.

Since then standards have fallen in both the showroom and the service departments to shockingly low levels. My car had to go in for a simple 1 hour warranty job a few months ago. When it was returned to me the area worked on was scratched and covered in greasy hand prints. I pointed this out to the service manager and the scratches were polished out and the car cleaned.

Another time I had to get an adblu top up. I didn’t check under the bonnet until the next day and found adblu had been sprayed over the entire engine compartment where it had then dried and crystallised. Evil or Very Mad

Any work you have carried out at this dealership should be checked, with the service manager, at the time you collect your vehicle.

Jim
  • LiftedDisco
    United Kingdom 

I’ve been using them for around 10 years on servicing - regrettably in all that time, I’ve never managed to actually buy a vehicle from them as they simply won’t do a deal...

However, the servicing has normally been OK and I have some long standing relationships there - Paul Smith was spot on as the service manager, then there was a bit of a challenge where nothing really got sorted and now Lucy Cornwall is running the service team and things are improving.

I think it’s more a case that JLR sales have grown exponentially over the last few years and the capacity of the dealerships simply hasn’t kept pace - try booking anything in and they are doing well to get it into the workshops in less than 5 weeks...!
  • rich
    New Zealand 

MY17. Yes I have this ongoing. Dealer found drips going on the bell housing... hence the smell in the cab. Something was replaced but smell still appears. Wonder if its possible for something to pressurize in that area. Only really happens under load. Town running. Nothing.
  • LiftedDisco
    United Kingdom 

Thank you... any ideas on where stuff was dripping on the bellhousing and, also, how they found it?

I have an endoscope if needs be...!
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

I now have a burning oil smell as well and when looking at the back of the engine there is evidence of oil dripping down the back. LR assistance have looked and thing it may be rear crank shaft oil seal, booked in for next Monday so we will see what happens

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • LiftedDisco
    United Kingdom 

Hi Russell

Hope all is well with you and Mark... how's he doing these days???

Jess is now working at Gaydon (!) so I should have some clout (yeah, right...) but wondered if you can help identify where you have seen the oil... is this visible from above, or do I need to be pulling the undertray off to get at it from there?

Any pointers would be appreciated!

Rob
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

Hi Rob
    Yes we are all good and Mark is doing well as well.

The oil is viewable when looking from the drivers front wing down the back of the engine towards the gearbox. Oil can be seen laying in the bottom of the tray and on fittings pipes at the bottom O/S of engine/bell housing. It is not a lot but a growing film.
    LR assistance came out and had a crawl underneath and confirmed there is oil leaking but only a small leak and possibly from the rear crank seal. All booked in for Monday next week.

But here you go, how long o do a rear crank seal on a 3lt D5??? Answers on a post code and I was shocked.

Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

I could cheat and quote the time in topix, in reality it will be about 50 per cent longer, so looking at a 2 day job.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

Dealer are saying 4 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

They've quoted the time for the front crank seal, not the rear.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

That was my thought as well
    Cannot see how they can get gearbox clear, torque converter out and old seal out let alone refit in that time

• LiftedDisco
    United Kingdom 

I’ve found the oil...

Be interested to know how you fare with your dealer on Monday - I’m going to start work on ours and see what we can get done...
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

So where was the oil coming from, back of the engine, top or bottom

• LiftedDisco
    United Kingdom 

It’s at the rear and just above the heat shield for the exhaust

I’d be surprised if it’s rear crank seal (which books at 7.7 hours incidentally...) but let’s see what they think.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum