Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

FBH running on a cold day

Well, you discover something new every day. Today, I found that the FBH on the D5 runs automatically to help warm up the engine on a cold day just like it did on the D4.

I'd assumed that, as the FBH isn't standard on the D5, it would only run when commanded to do so by the timed climate or the remote fob and that it would do nothing during normal driving.

However, today I opened the bonnet just after starting the engine (still warm after the car had been parked for about an hour) and heard the FBH running. The FBH was warm to the touch and a look underneath confirmed it was blowing hot exhaust gas out of it's exhaust pipe.

So there you go, the FBH on a D5 (if fitted) helps keep the car and engine warm on a cold day even when the engine is running.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • bammmy

Hi Jon,

I notice you have FBH Timed, is that standard or an extra? If just the timed was the extra that you’ve ordered will it work without the timer, if that makes sense? Or does the HSE have another way of setting the timer via the app on a phone.
    Finally why did you have that fitted as an extra when I believe that the heating is actually set via the app, what is the advantage you have got?

Mark
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

The FBH is an optional extra. It heats the car and engine block without the engine running.

The ability to start the engine remotely via the app on the phone is standard and I also have that option available, but with the FBH I can set a timer to automatically warm the car up every morning before I set off to work. The windscreen is defrosted, the cabin is warm and the engine is already partially warmed up before it is started which should reduce the wear associated with cold starts.

It also includes an additional remote fob which can activate the FBH remotely and there is an option on the screen to activate it manually to heat or vent the car without the engine running (e.g. sitting in the car waiting for someone).

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum