Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• EMcC
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Front Indicators

I was indicating to pull into my drive the other day when a pedestrian started walking across my front.
    I stopped and waited for him to clear my entrance, he did so and then stopped to watch me enter my drive.
    He indicated that he wanted to speak to me, so once parked up I approached him.
    He said he was really amazed at my vehicle because when I indicated right and started to turn into my drive my right headlight dimmed allowing the indicator to be seen more clearly and he had never seen any other car do such a thing.
    I was not aware of any such thing so just pretended that it was normal.
    I am not in a position to see if that is such a thing and cannot find any reference to it in the handbook.
    Was he having me on or is that another thing about the New Discovery 5 that I wasn't aware of ?
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

No that is correct when you have day lights on, look at many other new cars and they all do it

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

It’s the law for DRL’s isn’t it? They have to dim when indicating.

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Why don't you just jump out the car when it's parked up, with the indicators on, and see for yourself.
    Sorry for stating the obvious Laughing

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

I was lead to believe that this only activated with a combination of indicators an the turned steering wheel. However I will try to see when parked up. Thanks for the heads up I never would have thought of that.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

I can assure you he is not having you on. I have noticed the exact same when the Mrs is turning into the drive whilst indicating. Seen a few Range Rovers also doing this.

However I am not sure if like you say the car has to be moving with the wheels turning for the lights to dim, so will let you report back Thumbs Up

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • D5Comm
    United Kingdom 

Pretty standard on all new cars with DRL now.
    Also notice for a few years now that Mercs and I think VW's have a left or right fog light flick on when turning with lights on at low speed. Not sure if LR's are doing this too?
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Any car with DLR’s next to the indicators will do this. The LED’s are so bright they effectively make the indicators invisible. Thus they either dim or turn off. No steering wheel input needed. See it all the time on the motorway with cars going in the incoming lanes.

Take a look next time. Easy to spot Whistle

Last edited by simonh on 26th Dec 2018 1:01 am. Edited 1 time in total

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

D5Comm wrote:
    Pretty standard on all new cars with DRL now.
    Also notice for a few years now that Mercs and I think VW's have a left or right fog light flick on when turning with lights on at low speed. Not sure if LR's are doing this too?

That is their implementation of cornering lights. An option on LR’s and built into the head light cluster. They could activate the front fog light as a cheap way to do this like other manufacturers, but don’t as they’d rather charge their customers. Premium brand see, means you have to pay for stuff other manufacturers include for free Rolling Eyes

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum