Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

That's basically it, 2017MY pre NV222.3 is a dead herring, with no view to release anything in the form of a cure or fix, to add insult to injury they are going to charge you for an Oil and filter !

How this works i am not sure because the 2018MY which can be tweaked you don't have to pay for Oil & Filter ! In my head the way this works is so simple, We can't fix so we've set your residual at £37K that's guarenteed, we will offer buy back or pay for your inconvenience in having to keep having Oil and Filter changed, In my case every few thousand miles, the last instance only covered 1,700 miles.

And according to the manufacturer, it's my fault !

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

I bought it used in september 18, looks like my biggest financial mistake.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Hauser
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

So mordred1973, your VIN is not in the range of N222vX?

Greets,
    Hauser

Discovery 5 (MY 2021): HSE, D300, Fuji White
    Discovery Sport (MY 2016): HSE, TD4, Firenze Red w. black roof
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

to be honest not a clue....

was first registered (to JLR Ltd) in July 2017.

VIN is SALRA2AKXHA02xxx

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Hauser
    Germany 

Chalkys HSE wrote:

Whatever the reason for adopting the RRS Unit it would appear that the issue for the D5 has largely been addressed, For what i have been told by the Manufacturer is the 2018MY vehicle this CAN accept updates as they learnt early on that the sequential application of through the Urea into the DPF of the Diesel Exhaust Fluid only impacted on the fact that the cannister was NOT hot enough "too far away" so the application of cold wet fluid hampered the already existing problem of the fact that there was too much metal pipe between the back of the Turbo housing and that of the DPF Unit, this length of pipe suffered from heat sink in that it struggled to create or carry enough heat to generate an efficient burn, imagine squirting cold wet liquid onto a hot surface, it has a cooling effect and also creates steam... If the DPF fails to re gen due to heat loss it will try again and again until it creates a clean emptying of the can, The opening of the urea to apply fluid into the manifold knocks a certain ammount of miles off the service level indicator. Hence the early service warning, It is this that is at odds with time "Calendar" and distance "miles / KM's"

Fuel in Oil "FIO" or "Oil Dilution" is merely a term that has been applied to something that covers up the fact that the DPF fails to conduct an efficient re-generation of the DPF under normal drive cycle due to inadequate hardware architecture,

This was relayed to me by a senior Engineer at Gaydon and i have no reason to challenge his reasoning or expertise on this, he said to me that when they were told to re jig the manifold and knock a turbo off that they themselves in engineering said it wouldn't work ! and questioned the work already invested in the on going infastructure D4 that they thought was working absolutely bang on and required no messing about with ! The main reason for this was emmisions as it was failing to get inside the current legislation ?

Hey again,

You wrote that one big reason for this issue is the placements of the AdBlue tank (and the turbo), because the fluid would be loosing to much heat on the way to the DPF.
    So what exactly does the software update do on MY2018 vehicles to change that physical fact? Very Happy
    (And why does it not work on MY17...?)

Greets,
    Hauser

• Hauser
    Germany 

mordred1973 wrote:

VIN is SALRA2AKXHA02xxx

Qouting from topix:
    Name: N222v2
    Modell: Discovery (LR)
    Modell Year: 2018
    VIN: 030810 - 079568

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

just checked TOPIX

Mine is due:

N025 Oil Dilution counter reset
    N118 Service required message not displayed (not true since it is currently displaying a service due in 1700 miles) & service reset function

• Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

Hauser wrote:
    mordred1973 wrote:

VIN is SALRA2AKXHA02xxx

Qouting from topix:

So being HA02 this pre dates the designation of HA03, so if the 2018 build starts at HA030810 and stops at HA079568 This really isn't that difficult.

Anything before HA030809 is 2017MY
    Anything after HA030810 is 2018MY
    Anything after HA079568 is 2019MY

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

yep so mine falls into the "oops we built and sold something that was a poor design and has no fix, tough get on with it (it'll be worth naff all at 3 years old) " category

• Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

Hauser wrote:
    Chalkys HSE wrote:

Hey again,

You wrote that one big reason for this issue is the placements of the AdBlue tank (and the turbo), because the fluid would be loosing to much heat on the way to the DPF.
    So what exactly does the software update do on MY2018 vehicles to change that physical fact? Very Happy
    (And why does it not work on MY17...?)

Greets,
    Hauser

No, what i wrote is that the SDV6 in the D4 had 2 spinny things, When the D5 was intended for market they took the smaller one and the mid sized one and replaced both with one bigger one, This it was presumed would aid it's ability to get it under a certain criteria for release with regards emissions.

The adblu tank has nothing to do with anything ? it is the placement of the nozzle that squirts the fluid into the hot bit that is in the wrong place, Having only one turbo means that there isn't two and thus heat is lost due to space created and the fact the bigger turbo isn't getting as hot resulting in the pipe loosig heat through the transfer of increased pipe length.

The other relates to the sequential release of the fluid into the sytem to neutralise the harmful chemicals that are located in the DPF, this should reach 600 degrees, but it isn't, theres a pipe that looses heat and the cold wet fluid hampers heat by its very virtue of being just that ! once the fluid is released it knocks a certain ammount of miles off the service, so lets say for arguments sake and to keep it simple it looses 100 miles every time it squirts out some wet stuff, if it tries to regenerate 10 times in a 135 mile journey your service counter will drop by one thousand 1,000 miles. ? so 10 times activated minus the 100 miles lost every time it opens is 10 multiplied 100 = 1,000

The sodtware update was to re write the algorytmn that some one wrote to the vehicle telling it that if it travells fro Yorkshire to spain "KNOCK 2,000 MILES OFF THE INDICATOR.
    So, if it is displaying 7,500 miles to service when i set off and drive 2,000 it should read 5,500
    If the vehicle sits on my drive for 3 months and does not move and it displays 7,500 miles in January you should expect that 3 months later it might read 4,500 as every calendar month it should drop a thousand or so,
    Also as discussed every time the nozzle squirts fluid it knocks a certain number of miles off, unfortunately i do not know what this figure is ? and neither do they, the reason for updating the system alledgedly ? to tell the 3 parameters, Adblu nozzle - calendar - miles to STOP conflicting with each other as the readings were wrong.

• Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

mordred1973 wrote:
    just checked TOPIX

Mine is due:

N025 Oil Dilution counter reset
    N118 Service required message not displayed (not true since it is currently displaying a service due in 1700 miles) & service reset function

Those are the only ones for the 2017MY, it's had both.... it gets them every time the Oil & Filter changed,

I bet that 1,700 miles doesnt last long ?

• Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

Hauser wrote:
    Chalkys HSE wrote:
    Yours is a 2018MY vehicle then ?

Nope, MY17.
    But yes, it is MY17 and still my VIN is within the range of N222vX.

Qouting from topix:

My MY17 VIN is SALRA2BK9HA0379xx.

Greets,
    Hauser

Hauser, can i just you do know that 37 comes after 30 ? and that despite what you said previously your vehicle is in the 2018MY range ?

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Interestingly.....those updates were listed in September 2018, 1 month after it had its first service...and are still listed today despite a) the car undergoing its pre-sale 165 point check and b) the dealer claiming all of the updates were done in the 3 hours the had the car for another reason.

The dealer has subsequently admitted, they undertook none of the updates required prior to sale nor did they do them in the 3 hours they had it subsequently, because in total there are 8 updates required which they estimate will take them at least a complete day and thus need it overnight just to to the updates.

We will see once it comes back, they've had it since Wednesday last week (so day 8 now) to undertake all of the updates and to respray both bumpers which had black paint peeling off and one wheel which also had black paint peeling off.

Lets hope they bring it back soon, since their Disco Sport loan car only has 500 miles of Adblue left!

• Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

I know what your saying, but neither of those two updates do anything other than re setting the parameters to go agin from 16K miles.

Which in my case is 1,700 miles.....

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

ah so dealer trying to tell me there is an update that is going to improve the issue is actually complete rubbish there is nothing they can do other than change the oil and filter and we are stuffed for the life of the car with service intervals between 1700 and 7000 miles?

Assuming so, that actually makes all 2017 TD6 cars unfit for purpose and JLR should be modifying them to make them fit for purpose. Think in month 4 it is time to quit this Land Rover ownership lark.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum