Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

MY 2017 end HA026xxx

It had its first service at 6900 miles (12 months and before my ownership) and during my ownership it has covered another 4500 miles and says it is 1700 miles from a service, so in theory will have made it 6200 miles to its second service.

In its defence, I can see that it has not had the first software update for oil dilution yet (dealer is doing that this week along with the other long list of updates) so guess I just need to see how long it is before service 3.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Hauser wrote:
    Chalkys HSE wrote:
    Yours is a 2018MY vehicle then ?

Nope, MY17.
    But yes, it is MY17 and still my VIN is within the range of N222vX.

Qouting from topix:
    Name: N222v2
    Modell: Discovery (LR)
    Modell Year: 2018
    VIN: 030810 - 079568

My MY17 VIN is SALRA2BK9HA0379xx.

Greets,
    Hauser

So what was the Month of manufacturer, which digit relates to month is it 10th from the VIN ?

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • Hauser
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Fuji White

Digit 10 relates to the MY. H = 1991 or 2017. Smile (Month not included in VIN).
    Car got initial dealer inspection first week of October 2017 in Germany. So had to travel from Solihull, UK
    to Germany. Don't know the exact build date. Sad

Greets,
    Hauser

Discovery 5 (MY 2021): HSE, D300, Fuji White
    Discovery Sport (MY 2016): HSE, TD4, Firenze Red w. black roof
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

I'd suspect that if yours is accepting Updates it is a 2018MY Vehicle, build date late August sept time which would be correct ?

Mine is July 2017 build and is 2017MY and my VIN pre dates the start of the 2018MY config.

• Hauser
    Germany 

Mine is definitely a MY17. VIN says so and I do have the old (analog) instrument cluster (not the shiny new TFT display).

What is your VIN (just X the last 2 digits...)?

Maybe mine was one of the last build MY17. But I have no idea, since the car was pre-owned by the dealer.

Greets,
    Hauser

• Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

MY change occurs Aug / Sept every year pre the year begins so 2019MY with the TFT dash only started production in Months Aug / Sept last year in 2018, these are still 2019MY vehs altho built in 2018 plus the 10th character of the VIN will read 2018 despite it being 2019MY..

So the TFT dash plus the 306BHP engine denotes the Model Year change over, this engine came across from the RRS in an attempt to eradicate the Oil Dilution problem, despite the fact that NO fuel is in the Oil that is the terminology JLR use to identify the issue of not being able to harnes the archetecture surrounding the re generation process and the multi faceted approach they would like to use to measure the different processes employed to work out the service interval. But they can't.

This is due to the fact that customers cannot drive the vehicle correctly. Censored

The line in the sand according to the manufacturer on the 2018MY is that the 18MY has the operating system that will accept the Nv222.3 updates, of course you have the problem of being say 35 computers adrift and still outside the MY so there may be an unalotted number of Veh's that are 2017MY that have the computers fitted, if that akes sense well done.....

i'm rubbish at explaining Whistle

• Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

Hauser wrote:
    Mine is definitely a MY17. VIN says so and I do have the old (analog) instrument cluster (not the shiny new TFT display).

What is your VIN (just X the last 2 digits...)?

Maybe mine was one of the last build MY17. But I have no idea, since the car was pre-owned by the dealer.

Greets,
    Hauser

mine ends 70XX

• Hauser
    Germany 

Chalkys HSE wrote:
    MY change occurs Aug / Sept every year pre the year begins so 2019MY with the TFT dash only started production in Months Aug / Sept last year in 2018, these are still 2019MY vehs altho built in 2018 plus the 10th character of the VIN will read 2018 despite it being 2019MY..

So the TFT dash plus the 306BHP engine denotes the Model Year change over, this engine came across from the RRS in an attempt to eradicate the Oil Dilution problem, despite the fact that NO fuel is in the Oil that is the terminology JLR use to identify the issue of not being able to harnes the archetecture surrounding the re generation process and the multi faceted approach they would like to use to measure the different processes employed to work out the service interval. But they can't.

This is due to the fact that customers cannot drive the vehicle correctly. Censored

The line in the sand according to the manufacturer on the 2018MY is that the 18MY has the operating system that will accept the Nv222.3 updates, of course you have the problem of being say 35 computers adrift and still outside the MY so there may be an unalotted number of Veh's that are 2017MY that have the computers fitted, if that akes sense well done.....

i'm rubbish at explaining Whistle

Hi Chalky,

sorry, but I do disagree on quiet a couple of points:

The TFT dash was available MY 18, which they started to build somewhere Sept./October 2017.

The 10th digit shows the MY, not the year the car was build. So an MY18 does have a "J", doesn't matter if it was produced December 2017 or June 2018.

Also the 306 bhp engine didn't carry over from the RRS in order to address the oil dilution issue, but to meet the EU6d-temp regulations. It has nothing to do with oil dilution.

Greets,
    Hauser

• Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

I do appologise, i can only work on the Info that the Maunufacturer has given me, They told me that the 10th Character related to the year of build,

I hadn't realised that the TFT dash was available 12 months ago ? and was told that the RRs cross over was an attempt to fix the single turbo Td6 engine that was re jigged for the D5 much to the Head engineers disaproval at Gaydon, They told me the archetecture was wrong, that they stated the D4 engine was an already proven unit but they knocked a turbo off to adress the emmisions scandal and the fact that they couldnt get the figures in that state of tune, Their words not mine, it was wrong, heat sink and adblu nozzle in the wrong place, software failed to adress the issue and the 306 BiTurbo seemed the natural plaster to stick the wound back together.

• Hauser
    Germany 

Hi,

of course, we all can only collect info and puzzle it together. Smile
    That's what we are here for, aren't we?

Interesting reasons, non of which fit the info I got though.

Just got Info from a friend who works at a LR dealer. My D5 was build September 14th 2017. Thumbs Up
    Probably on of the last MY17 D5.

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

thing is if there is actually no dilution, then of course we have no problem with our 2017 cars, which means it is down to a software engineer to rewrite the software so it doesn't give rubbish feedback and notifications, resulting in hassle and unnecessary work being paid for

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Hauser
    Germany 

Yeah exactly.

But you won't know if you don't get your oil tested.
    It's not that expensive though and knowing your oil condition is a relieve.

Knowing mine, I am hoping this early service warning can and will be solved soon through a patch.

Greets,
    Hauser

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

you'd think they would have sorted it by now, people keep planes flying and things into space all the time, I know they can throw a bit more money at the software engineering but.....

• Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 

The Oil Dilution issue is something which JLR were aware of before the D5 went into production or on sale to the general public, we had an Evoque that suffered heavily from it, so much so the actual Oil smelt of diesel, it wasn't measured in 2015 when we had it we were just informed of an oil filter change under re call and i think they updated it. End of story,

The terminology was adopted by us or applied to the D5 by them it doesn't really matter who invented it but it stuck. Suffice to say that when the Press vehicles that were being used as Demo's the problem of early service came about fairly quickly and whatever terminolgy was applied at that time has stuck. If you read some of the early Demo's on long term loan to some of the motoring press where they kept these vehicles for between 6 - 12 Months thay all mention the vehicle going in again and again for an early service.

Something which JLR have adressed in part for some whilst leaving others out in the cold....

Whatever the reason for adopting the RRS Unit it would appear that the issue for the D5 has largely been addressed, For what i have been told by the Manufacturer is the 2018MY vehicle this CAN accept updates as they learnt early on that the sequential applicationof through the Urea into the DPF of the Diesel Exhaust Fluid only impacted on the fact that the cannister was NOT hot enough "too far away" so the application of cold wet fluid hampered the already existing problem of the fact that there was too much metal pipe between the back of the Turbo housing and that of the DPF Unit, this length of pipe suffered from heat sink in that it struggled to create or carry enough heat to generate an efficient burn, imagine squirting cold wet liquid onto a hot surface, it has a cooling effect and also creates steam... If the DPF fails to re gen due to heat loss it will try again and again until it creates a clean emptying of the can, The opening of the urea to apply fluid into the manifold knocks a certain ammount of miles off the service level indicator. Hence the early service warning, It is this that is at odds with time "Calendar" and distance "miles / KM's"

Fuel in Oil "FIO" or "Oil Dilution" is merely a term that has been applied to something that covers up the fact that the DPF fails to conduct an efficient re-generation of the DPF under normal drive cycle due to inadequate hardware architecture,

This was relayed to me by a senior Engineer at Gaydon and i have no reason to challenge his reasoning or expertise on this, he said to me that when they were told to re jig the manifold and knock a turbo off that they themselves in engineering said it wouldn't work ! and questioned the work already invested in the on going infastructure D4 that they thought was working absolutely bang on and required no messing about with ! The main reason for this was emmisions as it was failing to get inside the current legislation ?

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Great explanation.

So bottom line is on a 2017 TD6 there is no real cure and they have sold a car that in effect should never had made it into production from an engineering viewpoint.

I do have an option to get out of mine due to issues with the dealer (its gonna cost me though) but it may be the best thing to do, since i cant take a day off every 3 months to have it serviced, ignoring the cost involved in that

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum