Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• plumpmoose
    United Kingdom 

Newbie with numpty questions

I have been lurking for a while and feel time is right to register and join.

Like many first reaction to the LRD5 was a no (looks and big jump in price). But certain colours and the black pack seems to be a grower and think I will join the ownership fold soon.

Couple of newbie questions.

The market has undoubtable brought the price of used ones in line (3.0 HSE or similar) with where they should have been, so 2018 digital dash versions are in the £45-55k range.

How do I know if engine is the Td6 or the SDV6?

What is the difference?

Most ads I have seen use td6 for 68 plates cars, which cant be right?

Get feeling that digital dash versions have most of the original issues sorted and assume the better engine?

My preference is to buy privately (seller and buyer gets a much better deal as the £5-10k dealer spread is greatly reduced), but given issues listed on here am I mad?

Grey/silver HSE or HSE lux with black pack and 20-21 inch wheels is sort of where I am heading. Although on PH there is a couple of nice private black ones (one pre and one post digital dash) which would do, but aren't very local to me for a tyre kick.

TIA
  • Chalkey
    England 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Indus Silver

Hi I have a silver SE with a few bits added, silver is easy to keep clean. I have the 2lt which suits are needs, the 3lt seems to be having some problems. Which ever engine you go for it's a fantastic car, good look if your search. Let us know how you get on👍

MY 21 3.0 D250 S White, 20in wheels, twin sun roof, privacy glass, heated stirring wheel, roof rails.
    Gone 17reg 2.0 SE Silver, 21in black wheels, privacy glass, roof rails, side steps.
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Plumpmoose, Hse & lux had digital dash at 18my, 17my was the twin fixed dial.
    19my saw the introduction of the twin turbo SDV6 engine, start of production was around June 2018, you may find a few 18 plate Sdv6, but there would have been alot of tdv6's in the delivery chain so I would not be surprised to see 68 plate tdv6's, most would have sept reg and probably dealer pre reg to get them in the system whilst they could still be sold as tdv6 isnt certified to the latest EU6d-temp emmisions spec.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • Notxal
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

I have a Byron Blue with Black Pack, tints and black interior. Wasn't sure when I first saw it but its grown on me considerably. Much easier to keep clean looking than my previous Santorini Black D4

• Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Thought black pack had black roof and black surround round the rear number plate

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Notxal
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

From the LR Website

BLACK DESIGN PACK

For a striking effect, Discovery can be personalised with the optional Black Design Pack3 on SE, HSE and HSE Luxury models. The Black Design Pack includes a Narvik Black grille, fender vents and mirror caps, with Black Discovery bonnet and tailgate script.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Mine has the black pack plus the black wheels which are a separate option

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Notxal wrote:
    From the LR Website

BLACK DESIGN PACK

For a striking effect, Discovery can be personalised with the optional Black Design Pack3 on SE, HSE and HSE Luxury models. The Black Design Pack includes a Narvik Black grille, fender vents and mirror caps, with Black Discovery bonnet and tailgate script.

Thumbs Up

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Well we have a grey roof. This option was only available on the highest spec of all the 3 black packs available, along with dark interior headlining, if my memory serves me correctly.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

I was the same as you, not really sure about the D5 but have bit the bullet and gone for one. I have the MY18 2ltr HSE and to be honest, after driving the 256bhp D5 I think the 2 ltr 240BHP seems to pick up faster. OK the MY19 306bhp 3ltr ought to be better.

I have Corris with black roof, black pack, inc black rear panel and black 22" alloys. All in all seems to work for me whilst the rear is still growing on me I think it does look better with the black panel.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • plumpmoose
    United Kingdom 

OK thanks, so the Td6 has about 250 horses and maybe one turbo and the SDv6 has about 300 and two and lives in MY19 versions.

Need to drive one, so visit to dealer is next step. They have quite a few MY17 and MY18s and hopefully a MY19.
  • Chalkys HSE
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

In comparison, I've driven the 2.0L and found it to be abit breathless at the upper rev range and clunky on the bottom end, The 3.0L 256 just seemed to be that bit more normal for the Discovery, prob due to my own driving style and the fact that i prefer the V6 engine over the 2.0L.

The 306 however transforms the car into what can only be described as effortless driving prowess, I;m not looking forward to getting back in my 256 that's for sure... The pick up, in gear and cruising is something that feels absolutely up to date and right up there in terms of quality and dare i say engineering !

the driving difference between the 3 engine config's for me are completely separate,

2017 MY D5 HSE 3.0 Td6 Corris Grey, Side steps, roof rails,
  • unido
    United Kingdom 

Best bet is just to test drive and see what meets your needs. Don't get carried away with figures on paper.

I have had multiple 3.0l Discovery's and have just bought a 2.0l D5, whilst my Dad has the 3.0l D5 256bhp, he has had a nightmare with the oil issue, luckily we have a great dealer.

The difference in performance to the 2.0l is very minimal, I know the 3.0l has more torque but only 16bhp more yet isn't it around 120kg heavier? which is like another 2 full tanks of fuel sat in the boot!

Driving both of them frequently I can't see a great deal in it to be honest, 3.0l fractionally smoother around town perhaps, 1 second quicker to 60 but who jumps off the lights in a Disco anyway Very Happy 2.0l you could argue you get reliability and MPG.

I absolutely adore the 3.0l D4 and D5s but don't underestimate the 2.0l, I am very impressed.
  • gavinadams
    Australia 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

I like your feedback on the 2L.
    Makes me feel a bit more comfortable with the MY19 HSE SD4 I have on order.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

Agree the 2ltr is a great engine. Constantly surprised at how well it can move this car.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum