Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

If it’s Parks of Ayr you dealt with, I’d suggest you try another dealership.

They put a tow bar on my last LR and I had terrible problems.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Blackbeltbob wrote:
    I think it's it's too low even though it's above EU guidelines.
    When I tow with it raised it nearly goes away. Add in weight and it's perfect.
    So I think I'm just going to have to keep some weight on the nose and suffer it till I get rid of it.
    FFRR here I come - one day!

Is it not worth just getting under the back and checking all bolts are tight??

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Have you checked the nose weight. min 7% max 10% of trailer Gross weight that means anywhere from 50kg to a whopping 350kgs dependant on trailer load.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

Hate to say it but a VW ownwe pulled on site when we were in France last year with a banging deployable tow bar with his caravan attached, all brand new and first time towing. He unhooked the caravan and the tow ball fell/twisted 180 degrees and pointed at the ground.
    It was eventually traced to failed bearing which allow the ball to rotate and lock, but they had collapsed. The AA man (yes AA came out to France and thats another story) stated that it ws a common issue that he was seeing on all makes and they are all similar in design. Initial symptons are banging and grinding nosies

Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Not good!! I hope the design is such that should there be a failure, that the tow ball itself cannot come totally adrift from its housing and effectively part company from the car. Shocked

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

On the VW one that I saw in bits it couldn't just made a lot of nosie and rotated when you unhooked the trailer/caravan. Would not like to re-attach a trailer if it had rotated.
    There have been a few reports of LR/RR vehicles where the deployable tow bar has stopped and seized in mid position but dont know the reason for that.

• Craigp
    England 

I had a software update for the deployable tow bar a couple of days ago. But they said it was to stop it deploying randomly. Not had this problem or heard of anyone who as.
  • MalithS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

If the orange indicator on the towbar button (in the boot) is lit up when the towbar is deployed this indicates that the towbar is properly deployed and locked in position. There is no movement once the towbar is locked in deployed position. If you are getting movement this has to be something else loose maybe the cross member itself. If the locking mechanism has failed the towbar will not stay in the deployed position and just pushing it down by hand will make it fall.
  • Blackbeltbob
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Russell wrote:
    Blackbeltbob wrote:
    I think it's it's too low even though it's above EU guidelines.
    When I tow with it raised it nearly goes away. Add in weight and it's perfect.
    So I think I'm just going to have to keep some weight on the nose and suffer it till I get rid of it.
    FFRR here I come - one day!

Is it not worth just getting under the back and checking all bolts are tight??

Yip done all that and all appears ok.
  • Blackbeltbob
    United Kingdom 

harrythespider wrote:
    Have you checked the nose weight. min 7% max 10% of trailer Gross weight that means anywhere from 50kg to a whopping 350kgs dependant on trailer load.

I think it's running light on the nose hence when weight is added it lessens the noise.
    Again it's even higher than guidelines but I think it needs to go up more.
    It does still do it with weight on just not as bad.
    And it's even worse when the weight is over the axles. Very annoying.
    According to the car weighing it's at the lowest setting.
  • Blackbeltbob
    United Kingdom 

Dangerdave wrote:
    If it’s Parks of Ayr you dealt with, I’d suggest you try another dealership.

They put a tow bar on my last LR and I had terrible problems.

It's Parks I'm dealing with partly due to the Bambi incident but they didn't fit the original however they've been ok so far.
    Except when it was serviced and they washed it when they were explicitly told not to. Rolling with laughter
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

The first car I purchased from them was fine. Fast forward 2 years and a complete change of personnel and they delivered to me a new car they had damaged by putting on a tow bar. Terrible attitude once you fall foul of them. Took me a lot of effort to sort, they really didn’t want to have the car back. No doubt they remember me with fondness.

Their other branch at Inverness used to be okay, I had a couple of new cars from them too, but since the fall out, they have been pretty cool, but again in two years since Parks took it over, used to be MacRae and Dicks, there’s been almost a complete change of personnel.

Yes, I don’t want the garage washing the cars were either. I’ve had damage on a couple of occasions that gets denied when you point it out.

I now use John Clark LR at Elgin. It’s over 100 mile round trip, but at least you get a smile, efficient service and their prices are good.
  • Blackbeltbob
    United Kingdom 

I used to use Morrisons who were great but struggled to get the stock I wanted.
    We then used Pentland but for the warranty work on the towbar I went to Parks to save the 160mile trip as they are only 9 miles away.
    When they washed it this time they have lifted the lacquer that was applied to a wee repair I had done so I will need to get redone. I am not happy.
    Plus whatever they wash the wheels with makes them look utterly horrendous - like a mildly trained chimp flung muck at it.
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

The said last new car from Parks had polish swirls on it in addition to the scratches from installing the tow bar.

I got the D5 from Guy Salmond at Stockport. I flew down to pick it up. They collected me from the airport. Very pleasent people, very efficient and the car was spotless and gleaming even after 7 hours to get home!

It’s a pain in the neck knowing when you get to Perth, you still have 2 plus hours to go. Oh how I hate the A9.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum