Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Blackbeltbob
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Tow bar banging

Evening.
    I have the deployable tow bar.
    I mainly tow an Ifor Williams 12 x 6.6 flatbed which is only 2 years old. However the symptoms are also there with other trailers.
    The trailer was banging on the back of the car. Took it into LR and they couldn't find an issue so took the trailer in and went a drive with the mechanic and he agreed there was an issue so they replaced the tow bar.
    Tried the new one over the weekend and it's still doing it.

Has anyone else had this issue?
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Yes but mine is caused by the hitch rattling around in the receiver. I can tighten it up with an M12 bolt

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Blackbeltbob
    United Kingdom 

To open up the innuendo I wondered if my ball was misshapen but not on two devices I would have thought.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

I know you have said that it is replcated with other trailers but have you towed the trailer with another tow vehicle and proved it isnt the trailers at fault just to play devils advovcate ?

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Blackbeltbob
    United Kingdom 

Yip I've tried that. Silence.
    Never heard a peep from all the other D4's either.
    I've checked every bolt on every trailer. Nothing.
    I lowered the tyre pressures and that helped but you can't run it at 30psi when they should be over double that as a minimum.
    It's very annoying.
  • Blackbeltbob
    United Kingdom 

No one else got issues with the deployable tow bar?

Does anyone have pictures of what the fixed one looks like and any comments on it before I get mine swapped again?
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

I have the deployable one but not towed with it yet - will be March before I hitch up

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Yep got a deployable, have towed the caravan (1750kg) with it 3x not had any odd noises tho

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

No issues with my deployable bar and a 1650kg caravan. Hardly know it’s there sometimes Shocked

Jon
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

3500kg IWT tipper and all seems fine, not even any probs with LED lights. Haven't tried tow assist triangle dots yet though!

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Blackbeltbob
    United Kingdom 

Thanks folks.
    That makes me think it's this car that has an issue so will go back to LR. Again!
  • albion123
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Corris Grey

Hi, I'm having the same issue but with the multi height tow bar, did you manage to resolve it?
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Could it be possible that when replacing the rear cross member with the tow bar one, that the dealer forgot to tighten the bolts properly, hence the banging noises?

Thankfully no issues with the multiheight fixed one either.

They did forget to reconnect the parking sensor wiring loom, after fitting the towbar, and had too take the rear bumper off again, to access it, but thats another story Rolling Eyes

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Ajc66
    United Kingdom 

Same problem, did wonder if there was some kind of built in dampener on the tow bar?
  • Blackbeltbob
    United Kingdom 

I think it's it's too low even though it's above EU guidelines.
    When I tow with it raised it nearly goes away. Add in weight and it's perfect.
    So I think I'm just going to have to keep some weight on the nose and suffer it till I get rid of it.
    FFRR here I come - one day!
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum