Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• DS51MUD
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Insurance and trackers

Hi all
    New to the group and to ownership of a D5. On Friday I take deliver ship of my, new to me, HSE sdv6, it has InControl remote. My insurance company wants a tracker fitting. Has anyone else had this or do they accept the built in system

Tia
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

My insurance company were fine without one being fitted - for them the threshold was £70k car value, so I sneaked inside. I think you'll find some threads on here on a similar topic, so if you wanted to change insurance companies, there are plenty who won't insist on one.

Good luck with the car and please post some pics when she lands. I'm in love with mine after 4,500 miles... Best car I have ever owned....

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

NFU happy with mine. HSE has LR tracking service as standard.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • Labbix

I was asked to have one fitted as well, all paid by the insurance, or let’s say no extra cost nor reduction Wink
  • DS51MUD
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

A couple of photos the dealer sent me
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Some insurance companies demand a tracker, some don't. Those which demand a tracker are not necessarily the cheapest quotes anyway. Shop around.

If you need one, can the built in tracker (InControl Secure) be activated on a vehicle if it wasn't specified at manufacture? Presumably the hardware is already present if the vehicle already has InControl Protect & Pro Services ect?

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • LancsLad
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Mine was fine when we explained that it had one factory fitted.. Wink

Santorini Black MY 18 HSE Dynamic BLACK TDV6
  • EMcC
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

I have the two 'Emergency' buttons up by the interior mirror. I was told one is LR Assist to be used in case of vehicle faults/breakdown and they will know where you are and the other was for accident/crash type emergency and again was told they will know where you are.
    So is that not a built in tracker ?
    My vehicle is a November 2017 build, delivered April 2018, 3 litre D5 SE.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

No, that is a system where the car sends it's one time position from an action in the car.

A tracker can be turned on remotely and thus track your car.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

InControl Secure can only be activated when new. Can’t be added later in the cars life. Hardware is likely there but LR won’t allow spec changes after the car has left the factory (based on experience with the DS so assume the same with the D5).

There is a certificate you can download that states the Thatcham catagory (Cat 6 TTS). This may be all you need to convince the insurance company the service is activated and has the LR tracking centre keeping any eye out. They call even if the interior alarm has been tripped to see if the car is still with you.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 

jimbg wrote:
    No, that is a system where the car sends it's one time position from an action in the car.

A tracker can be turned on remotely and thus track your car.

Yes, this uses the cars navigation GPS and embedded sim. The InControl tracker is a separate system.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

DS51MUD wrote:

A couple of photos the dealer sent me

Well nice Cool Thumbs Up

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • MalithS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

simonh wrote:
    InControl Secure can only be activated when new. Can’t be added later in the cars life. Hardware is likely there but LR won’t allow spec changes after the car has left the factory (based on experience with the DS so assume the same with the D5).

There is a certificate you can download that states the Thatcham catagory (Cat 6 TTS). This may be all you need to convince the insurance company the service is activated and has the LR tracking centre keeping any eye out. They call even if the interior alarm has been tripped to see if the car is still with you.

Yes the car already has the hardware to support incontrol secure but its just missing the 'secure' subscriptions if you didnt opt for the tracker option when you ordered. This will just be an off board activation (on a server somewhere) to enable that vehicle to have tracker. Even with secure you dont really get to see and track where the car is. It only shows you the last parked location on the app, the difference is if the alarm or other event is detected that shows as theft, in control will be notified and they will call you to check. The app at this point disables you viewing the location of the car and the in control team can provide the tracking data direct to the police (they dont give you access to live data).
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

my insurance company insisted I fitted a tracker (LR dealer then told me I would invalidate the warrenty!!!)

I went ona compariosn website and found an alterntaive insurer (LV) who a) didn't ant a tracker and b) was over £100 cheaper than my original insurer, and indeed over £100 cheaper than my previous £9k car.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • MalithS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Funny story when we picked up our HSE in Sep my wife tried to sign up and get the 7 day free drive away insurance for the date of collection. Dealer gave us the number for LR insurance and when she went through it all (both of us have 12+ years driving with no incidents) at the end they insisted the car needed a tracker fitted (HSE so didnt have secure as standard) for them to give us the drive away insurance!! Seriously LR insurance themselves couldnt give us their drive away insurance knowing the car they are selling us! Just ended up going on comparison site and getting insurance who didnt even ask for tracker.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum