Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Yes That bad !! doesn't make any difference nose up/down or wherever, I naturally thought there must be a blockage or restriction, but can't see one, even thought there must be a specific nozzle to insert but apparently not, Hey Ho Rolling Eyes

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

You should be able to pour it in if facing uphill

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • Bursztyn
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Corris Grey

DEF Overfill?

I bought this genuine JLR DEF 10 litre kit when mine was showing around 3k miles remaining: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-LR104014

Used it as per instructions enclosed with the kit and filled with around 8 litres before the second 5 litre container stopped emptying. DEF mileage remaining went up to 8,500. Trouble is it seems to have stayed at this remaining mileage figure for the last 800 miles or so.

Went to my dealer today and spoke to the 'workshop supervisor' who reckoned I've probably overfilled the DEF tank. Solution: partially drain and reset the DEF tank level sensor. This of course is chargeable as, according to the supervisor, it's down to me. I stressed I used a genuine JLR kit but it didn't seem to make any difference to my argument. Is this simply a ploy to make a few £££ or should I trust my JLR dealer and book my Disco in for a partial DEF drain and sensor reset, and part with a couple of hundred quid???

Any thoughts or words of wisdom from members who may have experienced the same issue?
  • Chopsy
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

So, I wonder if you deliberately overfill the system causing it to permanently read full, does that mean that you can use the car without def once it runs out, or is there a sensor elsewhere that would pick this issue up. I thought the only issue was the car not starting if the def tank was empty - which under these circs it wouldn't know. Not that I would want to try it.
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

You can’t overfill it. It’s just taking time for the high level to drop to show it’s being used.

I always brim it.

MY19 Silver HSE Lux SDV6
    MY19 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux SDV6 - gone, MY18 Carpathian Grey HSE Lux TDV6 - gone
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Yep, filled mine to the brim multiple times. It's just taking a bit to use up the DEF so the level retreats down the filler neck. No harm done.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

have to admit I have never filled it, I let it get to between 1500 and 2000 miles and then just pour a 10 litre container in, takes it back to about 7000 miles.

Then I go back to local BP garage, spend 10 minutes dribbling Adblue into the same 10L container I bought ages ago, since for some reason you can't hold the adblue pump on full fill as its cuts out instantly, but the nozel on the Adblue pump is bigger than the filler on the D5, so I can't fill directly.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Simon S
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Chopsy wrote:
    I read somewhere that topping up can be an issue if the car is nose down on a slope. Flat or upwards seems to allow better filling.

Oh wow if that's the case you have just saved me HOURS of misery!! I always struggle with mine taking barely a dribble at a time without spitting it back up and I always reverse on to our sloped drive!!! Never even thought to try that but I will today!

Simon S
    3.0 HSE SDV6 Commercial in Carpathian Grey
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum