Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Tyre Wear.

Just got cars service done last week.

Cars only on 6,000 miles, with no offroading and towing lightly around town occasionally.

Running Pirelli Scorpion 285/40/R22's - All season, mud and snow run flats.

Just looking at the paperwork and its saying all tyres are down to 6mm Shocked

Correct me if am mistaken but am sure new tyres are usually 8mm deep, unless they have a chunky offroad tread.

So by my calculations the tyres will need replaced at 18,000 miles ?

Going by that figure the tyres are already 30% worn - i assummed the run flats were made from a harder compound, so would take longer to wear out??

Got 30k out of the D4 tyres before i replaced them. Big Cry

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 6th Mar 2019 11:12 pm. Edited 1 time in total

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

I replaced my Scorpion Verde All Seasons at around 30K miles, probably had a few K left but were becoming very prone to tram lining. New set have cured the tram lining.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • BlackDog
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

I'd say 6mm after 6K miles aint too bad really, especially when new ones, that are supposed to have 8mm never quite do. You'll get over 20K easily and from a big bus that isn't too bad. Smile

Hse Lux SDV6
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Run flat alert, alarm bells ringing for a long time BMW owner Smile

I didn’t realise these came with run flats, is it just certain wheels? I’m looking at the standard 21s on the HSE Luxury - hopefully not run flats?
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Never been a fan of pirelli, other than from the grip POV, the compound seems very soft and consequently wear rate is pretty poor. Some owners appear to get better mileage than others and that applies across all the discovery marques.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

30K miles isn’t too shabby. My D3/4 lasted around 23/25K miles on the original tyres.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

BlackDog wrote:
    I'd say 6mm after 6K miles aint too bad really, especially when new ones, that are supposed to have 8mm never quite do. You'll get over 20K easily and from a big bus that isn't too bad. Smile

Yes, very true as its not exactly a lightweight vehicle.
    I did consider that the cars bulk maybe a factor, or hoped that it was just a typo and 7mm all round Laughing

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

On the topic of tyres I was told that run flats cannot be repaired with a plug or a patch but obviously they can. Looks like you can see the blueish soundproofing material in the tyre as well.
    My mates got a Nissan Gtr and he managed to get his run flat repaired after it picked up a screw Whistle

• Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Tread depth variation between axles

Although this is an old thread, could I just add that I am at 20000 miles on my 22” Pirelli’s and they are still 5mm all round (dealer safety check yesterday).

Quite happy with that...except there is a possibility I am getting a drumming sound from my front tyres that MAY be due to toe&heel wear. (Apparently they haven’t been rotated at each service!!)

Rather than faff about starting to rotate old tyres I was considering swopping the two front tyres for a pair of nearly new Pirelli boots that are 7mm and 8mm.

Is there any issue with having 5mm on the rear axle and these two (7&8mm) on the front axle? (Or vice versa)

Thanks
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

None.

I got 4 new sound reducing Pirelli tyres and kept them in my garage for when I needed them.

Last month, the original front ones wore down quicker than the rear as you’d expect. I didn’t rotate. When the front got down to 3mm - it one only on the near side outer edge - just my driving manner rather than tracking, I changed them for new, but not the rears, which still had over 5mm left. Everything is perfect.
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Thx
    Will do the same.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

I have 27k on my 285/40x22 scorpions with over 5mm left on them. They have been one of the best (slowest) wearing rate tyres I have ever had on a Disco

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Run Flats don't have a harder compound, they have a stiffer sidewall. Tread compound is the same.

I've never, ever, on any car, had factory OE tires last more than about 25k miles. Earliest was 16k on factory Goodyears on my VW Touareg TDI, longest was 25K on a Subaru. Pirellis are particularly soft.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum