Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

Engine choice

Hello all,

I am just waiting for my D5 to be ready for collecting, and I just noticed that on the purchase contract that I signed it is written that the TDV6 is only 155Kw.

I knew that my one is from last year, but did LR actually make a 155KW for the D5, as I can only find reference to the 192Kw version.

I am not worried, as I really like the car, and it will still be more than enough for my purposes.

I am only asking so that I know.
  • Simon S
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

No idea how Kw's convert to hp but I think the TD6 with 258hp was superceded by the SD6 with 306hp. No doubt someone will be along to correct if I'm getting all crossed up somewhere!!!

Simon S
    3.0 HSE SDV6 Commercial in Carpathian Grey
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

well according to google, 155KW = 206BHP or 211PS

258PS = 190KW

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

if its a V6 diesel there are 2 versions depending upon age, the TDV6 is 258 hp the SDV6 306 hp

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

That is what I thought, but the dealer has written that my d5 is 155kw which doesn't seem possible.

It must be a typo!
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

I would be checking the order spec and want written confirmation of the delivery spec with the relevant corrections

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

When you sent your reply I was sitting at the LR dealer asking exactly this!!

The one that I am getting is indeed the 155KW version (210bhp).

I am really not worried about it as it is more than I need for my purposes, and it drove really well when I test-drove it.

I am just surprised because I have not found reference to a 210bhp version of the D5 anywhere.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Odd isn't it, especially since the TD4 is 240PS which is 177KW, so why would they make a TD6 with less power than the TD4?

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

Personally, I think the salesman has made a mistake because I have looked on www.mobile.de (living in Luxembourg) and I cannot find ANY D5s with only 210bhp.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

I will check the COC when I get the D5 in the next few days.

Out of interest... how long does it take to get a vehicle registered in the UK?

My D5 was in stock at the dealer (it was the exhibition car), and consequently it didn't need ordering.

It has taken them 1 week, and the car still isn't ready.

Would this be the same in the UK?
  • MalithS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

It doesnt take them long to register a vehicle at all. Mine was delivered to dealer 6 days after it was built and I picked it up 3 days after it got to the dealer. By this time they had cleaned it up and done the PDI and also applied the spare wheel fix. Registration was 1-2 days Im sure as I got the reg details to insure the car before I picked it up,
  • Labbix

Is Luxemburg not depending on the BeNeLux importer? I think so, and in Belgium cars have less HP because of taxation. These taxes go by steps: limits are 163HP and 211HP is another one if I remember well. So most probably that’s the reason, which means you might have a ‘Belgian’ car...
  • Labbix

It’s pure software though, and can be ‘reset’ Wink
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

You are correct!! I have just been given the Chassis number, and it is indeed 211bhp.

I am not worried though as in some ways it means the engine should last longer as it is no under as much strain.

How can it be reset though?

Thanks in advance.

Nick
  • Labbix

Before, with Volvo at least, they officially supplied the non restricted software to the dealers. So you could get the ‘full’ power as what the car was designed for. But still it’s not really full power as car manufacturers like to be within safe limits of course. That’s the reason as well so many tuners exist, to open that bit of extra punch that the engine is capable of. So you have two options: ask your dealer for the original mapping for the engine and if they can apply it (illegal in Belgium as not the correct tax will be paid, but if you inform your insurance not a real problem as no one would care, and only detectable by government if they would put your car on a powerbench, what they only might do in case of a freak accident, which normally means it’s not possible anymore as the car will most probably be wrecked. So a lot of Belgians did it, although more in the past than now, as legislation changed and now depends on the region you live in... so a 100 meter difference in location, being in Flanders or Wallonia or Brussels, can be lots of 1000 of € in tax difference. Belgium knows very well how to make simple things difficult!).
    Second option is to go to a reputed tuner and they can do the remapping (or place a box in between so warranty will not be affected), lots of options for these, just make sure you are well informed, most of the tuners will work with their own warranties for their products and agree to remap it again if needed, cost should not exceed 1000€, but that’s my opinion. At Volvo it was 700€ for the official remap Wink
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum