Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• rsr
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

Third time lucky???

After having my 2 previous D5's go back for various reasons I'm struggling to find a suitable replacement from a different brand so I'm thinking of another D5. Surely I can't have three bad ones!!
    I'm looking at another HSE Lux but the spec's have changed since MY18 so I'm trying to choose my options. I've read a bit on here about adaptive dynamics, is it really a game changer or a nice to have? I'd be interested to hear from those who have driven both. Annoyingly surround cameras are now an option too. From what I hear the SDV6 is a lot better than the TD6 too.

Fingers crossed..

MY17 Carpathian Grey HSE TDV6, MY18 Indus Silver HSE Lux TDV6. MY20 Lux sd6 Eiger Grey
  • Chopsy
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I have a HSE Lux SDV6 having had a near identical one in TDV6. Definately more noticeable power. Seems smoother too.
    Didn't miss the cameras as found them distracting (other than rear one). However, adaptive cruise and parking functions became standard so a bit of a trade off there.
    Can't comment on adaptive dynamics. Didn't bother as I drive fairly steadily and have no issue with normal ride feel.
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

I personally wouldn’t chance it again, not after two duffers.
  • nickground
    United Kingdom 

My car history has had 18 Range Rovers, 2x Discovery and 1x Discovery Sport. If I had read your post 25 years ago I would have advised you to run as far away as possible, the chance of three duff vehicles in a row was a certainty.

In the past 6 years I have had a 4x latest Range Rovers and the DS and each had at least 20k miles added. Four were faultless, the only one that gave issues (RR) was bought at launch, I know you should never do that, and all the issues were developed out in the latter vehicles.

I would probably take the chance. I have also had some other expensive cars which haven't lived up to their perceived reputation (Audi & BMW specifically).

Nevertheless good luck.

D5 HSE Lux SDV6
    D3 2005
  • Labbix

If I were you I would wait 48 hours as than the MY20 will officially become available to order Wink (after a slight delay of course), now it’s still MY19 (showing ‘K’ in the VIN)
  • DangerMouseUK
    United Kingdom 

Isn't MY20 supposed to be the facelift?

Also would like to hear about Adaptive Dynamics
  • MalithS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

20MY isnt changing much at all. 21MY is supposed to be the face lift (mid cycle).
  • MalithS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Labbix wrote:
    If I were you I would wait 48 hours as than the MY20 will officially become available to order Wink (after a slight delay of course), now it’s still MY19 (showing ‘K’ in the VIN)

Im pretty sure the 19MY order cutoff has passed already. I thought from Apr time all new order would be 20MY delivery maybe June onwards
  • Labbix

Nope, JLR HQ just confirmed me... from end of this week, for sure next week it’s MY20. Anyhow the big changes I expect as well for MY21, being the new ingenium 3 liter engines, both petrol and diesel (and I would think MHEV as well) and some redesigned things of course.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

jeez, would anyone want to risk a new 3L 6 cyl ingenium engine in its first couple of years of production? JLR had enough issue getting the 15 year old Td6 to work properly post 2017, and in some models still has issues with the ingenium 4cyl, god knows what joys the all new one will bring....

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • DangerMouseUK
    United Kingdom 

I was told the mild facelift was going to be this year.

Will they announce the facelift model towards the end of the year then?
  • RAW
    England 

Face lift, i was hoping for a rear lift on the MY20, i need to look at replacing my D4 this year and ive tried the D5 and found it very nice but i use my tailgate as a work bench out on site and other than having a pull out floor to create a bench i cant see the current tailgate working for me.
  • Rikster23
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Just to answer the OP’s question on adaptive dynamics...

I had a loan D5, albeit an SD4, for a couple of weeks that didn’t have adaptive dynamics. I thought the drive was fine. An improvement on the D4 I had a couple of years ago but still a big old 4X4.

Then my SDV6 arrived with Adaptice Dynamics and wow... such a difference. It corners so much better. I mean, obviously it isn’t a sports car and I find that I drive relatively sedately when I’m in the D5... but the difference with AD, I personally find, is really noticeable. Plus, it’s still lovely and comfy on the straight and when driving normally... it just hunkers down and tightens up in corners. Just like you’d want it to.

Def worth the money IMHO!

Cheers

Rik

MY2019 HSE Luxury 3.0 SDV6 - Corris grey, Dynamic Pack, Black contrast roof, Adaptive Dynamics, Electric Tow Pack
  • chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

RAW wrote:
    Face lift, i was hoping for a rear lift on the MY20, i need to look at replacing my D4 this year and ive tried the D5 and found it very nice but i use my tailgate as a work bench out on site and other than having a pull out floor to create a bench i cant see the current tailgate working for me.

Which alternative cars have a tailgate like the D3/4? I was disappointed with the loss of the split tailgate, but quite like the D5 set-up. I don't use it as a workbench though.

Andrew
  • RAW
    England 

That’s why i have hung on to this one a bit longer, I’m sure ill end up changing to a D5 unless the new defender surprises me, Spec’d up a HSE commercial and on the verge of ordering just trying to come up with a work around as after having the D3 ‘s and D4’s so long it all works so well Laughing
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum