Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• TomThumb
    United Kingdom 

N/S carpets soaking wet again

Stealer reckons the soaking wet carpets are due to worn & perished seals on the tailgate.

Having recently traded in my trusty RR Sport for a MY19 3l hse lux it’s already back in the dealers for soaking wet carpets n/s front & rear.

I was waiting for a call to confirm the windscreen seal was faulty & then half expected the fight to get it rectified as I now know water ingress is not covered under the approved used warranty.

I only had the front tread plate up & the amount of pooling water under the carpet there was horrendous.
    I have searched Google & the forum but couldn’t find another instance of a leaking tailgate.

The dealer reckons shape of the shell & floor pan would run most of the water into the front footwell, as the drive is totally flat, not noticed anything amiss around the tailgate, I’m not so convinced,

So I’m in a car that seems to let in more water than the titanic & the best I can hope for is a goodwill gesture from either JLR or the dealership to fix & make good.

Not a happy bunny atm.

Disco 3 to RR Sport to a MY19 3l hse lux
    First post on the D5 side

Tom…

Last edited by TomThumb on 28th Oct 2023 9:46 pm. Edited 4 times in total
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Really feel for you, and sorry this has to be your first post here.

It's not an issue I know anything about, but I hope you can get it sorted, and then go on to enjoy all the merits these cars have. Good luck!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • TomThumb
    United Kingdom 

I can’t say I’ve paid to much attention to the back end, but can’t say I’ve noticed what grommets the dealer had been referring too.

No loaner available otherwise I’d have left it with them for the 2 1/2 weeks they wanted it for,
    so there putting the trim panels back on & I’m picking it back up tomorrow.

Hopefully JLR will make good, but only time will tell.

Then there’s any future rust or damp wiring to contend with,
    all things considered, I’ve definitely lost faith with Land Rover atm.

Tom…

MY2019 Hse lux in Indus Silver
    Deployable tow bar, cubby fridge, side steps, black pack.
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Re: N/S carpets soaking wet

TomThumb wrote:
    Stealer reckons the soaking wet carpets are due to worn & perished seals on the tailgate.

Having recently traded in my trusty RR Sport for a MY19 3l hse lux it’s already back in the dealers for soaking wet carpets n/s front & rear.

I was waiting for a call to confirm the windscreen seal was faulty & then half expected the fight to get it rectified as I now know water ingress is not covered under the approved used warranty.

I only had the front tread plate up & the amount of pooling water under the carpet there was horrendous.
    I have searched Google & the forum but couldn’t find another instance of a leaking tailgate.

The dealer reckons shape of the shell & floor pan would run most of the water into the front footwell, as the drive is totally flat, not noticed anything amiss around the tailgate, I’m not so convinced,

So I’m in a car that seems to let in more water than the titanic & the best I can hope for is a goodwill gesture from either JLR or the dealership to fix & make good.

Not a happy bunny atm.

Disco 3 to RR Sport to a MY19 3l hse lux
    First post on the D5 side

Tom…

Leaking windscreens would tend to show up on dash or in my case in the recessed rear of the sun visor. Pulled my visor down and got wet trouser front…. on the way to a meeting. Shocked I had to explain it wasn’t excitement to be there . I just drove a LandRover Discovery.
  • TomThumb
    United Kingdom 

Got the disco back & dealer is 100% sure it’s not the the windscreen,

Down the sides of the rear tailgate, the plastic trim that incorporates the air vents!
    Looks like the run off from the roof runs down the side channel, thru the bumper & supposed to run out on the floor,

Not on mine !!!

It’s the seals behind this trim that have failed, chucking all the rear n/s run off into the cabin.

So won’t know the full extent of any water damage until all the carpets are out & everything is checked for damp.
    So new carpets all round at the very least!

I have had issues with the 360 cameras all going offline in the past !
    so am I right in thinking the camera module is located down the n/s somewhere ???

waiting on feedback from JLR as to how things move forward.

Tom…

• TomThumb
    United Kingdom 

*Update*

Result

Had notification from the dealership that JLR have have approved the initial claim,
    so new carpets front & rear / rear tailgate trim & seals,

Just waiting on said items to be delivered to dealers before they re-book it in.

Then once the seats & carpets are removed, they can access if any other item’s or components have been affected by the water or damp conditions.

So far so good 👍

Tom…

• TomThumb
    United Kingdom 

Update 5th Sept 2023 All fixed

Thought I’d post the final outcome

The dealership had the Disco in last Week,

New carpets front & back / rear tailgate trim both sides replaced & all covered by JLR,
    Apart from initially quoting 2 days & taking 4 1/2, the dealers reckon no signs of any damp or corrosion on any components or wiring.

They did however mention the water ingress had been both ns & os, (that was never mentioned previously)

Personally I reckon the faulty seals on tailgate are from the production build, it was only the exceptionally wet weather June & July that gave me a slightly damp carpet on the surface, but pools of water underneath it,

The job sheet came in at just under 2k, 🙈 so so glad JLR picked up the cost, 👍

Tom…

• 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

Glad you got it sorted and the car back. Hopefully never again!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • TomThumb
    United Kingdom 

Back to a soaking wet Disco

Thought I’d post a follow up. Re: MY19 hse lux (owned for less than 6 months)

After the dealership supposedly fixed the water ingress from the rear tailgate & replaced all the carpets back in Sept, all under a good will gesture from JLR.

My Disco is again carrying more water inside than the Titanic,

* The car smells like a damp wet dog,
    * We can hear the water sloshing about under foot on the n/s,
    * The n/s carpets are saturated front & back, with slightly damp carpets on o/s.

It has been stood for the last 10 days, but last time out, the radio reception seemed a little patchy at times, a slight smell but I did have all the kids in the car,
    but thought nothing of it,

but today no radio reception at all across the bands,
    No kids, so couldn’t blame the smell on them either🤭

I’m guessing the radio antenna booster / amplifier module is submerged❗️

It was to late in the day to speak to the service department, but I did chat with the supplying dealer sales manager who assured me my call has been logged & someone will call me Monday morning to get this sorted.

First time round the bill (just south of 2K) was covered by JLR as a gesture of good will,
    I’m guessing the dealership is on the hook this time round as they signed off on the original diagnosis / repair.

To say I’m gutted is an understatement,

Lost faith in JLR vehicles & the supplying dealer all together.
    a car rusting from the inside out, wiring & possibly modules under water,
    not to mention the cost,
    To top it all, water ingresses not covered under a comprehensive Land Rover used car warranty ❗️

Tom…

• TomThumb
    United Kingdom 

Finally got a call back from dealership & they agreed for me to leave the disco with them for a few day’s, or weeks.

1: to keep it undercover in there workshop (keep it dry & avoid anymore potential damage).
    2: so they can investigate where the water ingresses is actually coming from.

Tho they were adamant that the 1st repair had been successful & this must be a new leak, (all without casting an eye over my motor)

So I’ve been told any repairs or replacement parts are again at the mercy of JLR & good will gesture.
    Service manager seems to be avoiding me,
    no car or loaner for the time being,
    Car rusting from the inside out.

Gutted is an understatement😢

Tom…

• 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

I feel for you, genuinely. No one wants this. Might be a 2019, but that's still an expensive and young car age-wise. I hope you get a resolution.

• Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

TomThumb wrote:
    Finally got a call back from dealership & they agreed for me to leave the disco with them for a few day’s, or weeks.

1: to keep it undercover in there workshop (keep it dry & avoid anymore potential damage).
    2: so they can investigate where the water ingresses is actually coming from.

Tho they were adamant that the 1st repair had been successful & this must be a new leak, (all without casting an eye over my motor)

So I’ve been told any repairs or replacement parts are again at the mercy of JLR & good will gesture.
    Service manager seems to be avoiding me,
    no car or loaner for the time being,
    Car rusting from the inside out.

Gutted is an understatement😢

Tom…

I went through 2 years of recurring visits to the dealer to try to sort out a problem.
    They tried all manner of ideas and carried out several mechanical changes…all failed to solve the problem

My dealer squirmed & wriggled too, on occasions they claimed that their ‘expensive’ changes WERE “successful” …and yet the problem persisted.

The point to make clear here is, no matter how successful their chosen repair was ….they were pursuing an incorrect diagnosis of the problem and effectively repairing something that clearly didn’t need it. Half of my front suspension was unnecessarily replaced!

They made the diagnosis, not you.

And it doesn’t matter whether they charged you £150 for the diagnosis or they just stuck a wet finger in the wind. They chose the course of action and it was the wrong one.

In taking on the task FOC they accepted THEIR responsibility for it….it’s still theirs.

They will tell you JLR say this and that and won’t allow this or that. It’s rubbish!
    Just keep pointing out THEY accepted the responsibility and now need to find the right direction.

Good luck
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

If i'd bought a car of that recent age and value from a dealership less than 6 months ago, I would be horrified if they didn't pull out all the stops to fix an issue like that, regardless of what the small print on the warranty said. Hope you are looked after and get a satisfactory result.
  • TomThumb
    United Kingdom 

After the initial so-called fix,
    I had occasionally checked the carpets after some heavy downpours but hadn’t noticed any damp,

Tho removing the sill protector did show the deep thickness of the underlay / soundproofing & a small view of the floorpan,
    no wonder it took a while to show on the surface if it’s leaking behind a panel.

No visible signs of water runs anywhere, my money is on the windscreen!
    although most of the reports are on MY 17-18 vehicles & leaking at the top.

I got the impression they wanted the vehicle undercover asap more for damage limitation,
    but getting someone to look at it & report back could take a while!

Tom…

• Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

They often need a roving JLR technician to inspect it before JLR will authorise work.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum