Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• CumbrianCanary
    United Kingdom 

SIM Card - Vodafone V

Wanted to get a SIM put into my MY17 today. Vodafone shop suggested the Vodafone V would be the best solution. But when I've put the SIM in, it can't get a signal. Anyone else tried this and made it work?
    TIA
    CC
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I use a Three data sim along with many others.
  • RB
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

I have o2 and voda working fine in my MY18

MY18 Corris Grey HSE Lux TDV6
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

3 here as well

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • CumbrianCanary
    United Kingdom 

RB, is your Vodafone a V SIM or a standard one?
  • J77
    Scotland 

V sim is no good not compatible with cars. V sim is for smart devices that use WiFi or Bluetooth.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • RB
    United Kingdom 

It is a std voda sim that we supply, I wasn’t aware of the V sims, however they do seem to have limited compatibility from what I cansee here

https://shop.v.vodafone.com/UK/Devices

Would suggest getting a std sim, and then perhaps a data sharing plan so you can share your data between your devices or if you don’t want the hassle a std data only plan

• CumbrianCanary
    United Kingdom 

Thanks everyone. Seems like I've been given something that won't work! I'll take it back and get something more suitable.

I explained to the shop what I wanted it for, so looks like they don't their products very well!!

It's a shame you can't have a second SIM attached to one account, as I never use all my data each month.
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

RB wrote:
    It is a std voda sim that we supply, I wasn’t aware of the V sims, however they do seem to have limited compatibility from what I cansee here

Would suggest getting a std sim, and then perhaps a data sharing plan so you can share your data between your devices or if you don’t want the hassle a std data only plan

Data sharing plan ? Why?

A Three PAYG pre loaded SIM just works. Cheap on Amazon too. Car can set up a Wi-fi hotspot using the SIM that anyone can use. No additional plans needed.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • mcunnin
    Scotland 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Im with Simonh a 3 PAYG sim get one from "my memory" or "amazon" pop it in and forget about it for a year lasts 12months from first use 12G and for less than 30qids. also keep an eye open on the three site they do some special offers some times my contract on my mobile is for unlimited calls and texts and 100Gb data a month for 20. spotted that a couple of months back called and signed up that day.

2017 HSE Lux 3.0L Santorini Black
  • RB
    United Kingdom 

simonh wrote:
    RB wrote:

Data sharing plan ? Why?

A Three PAYG pre loaded SIM just works. Cheap on Amazon too. Car can set up a Wi-fi hotspot using the SIM that anyone can use. No additional plans needed.

It all depends what Tariff and provider you are with, I have 20GB/month on my phone and never get anywhere near it, for 4 or 5 quid a month I can get a second sim and attach it to my phones data plan.

It’s horses for courses and was mealrly explaining other options, I agreee prepay cards are great too and used to use them for the mifi in the caravan, but now share the data instead as it works out best for us

You could also just set your phone up as a hotspot and allow the car to connect to it too, but iPhone hotspot keeps needing to be re-enabled for me which is a pain

• jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I think the point was that for around the equivalent of around £2 a month you have a SIM that more than covers the data usage of the car?

Mind you when we have spent so much on a car does it matter! Rolling with laughter
  • simonh
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Farallon Black

RB wrote:
    simonh wrote:
    RB wrote:

Data sharing plan ? Why?

It all depends what Tariff and provider you are with, I have 20GB/month on my phone and never get anywhere near it, for 4 or 5 quid a month I can get a second sim and attach it to my phones data plan.

It’s horses for courses and was mealrly explaining other options, I agreee prepay cards are great too and used to use them for the mifi in the caravan, but now share the data instead as it works out best for us

You could also just set your phone up as a hotspot and allow the car to connect to it too, but iPhone hotspot keeps needing to be re-enabled for me which is a pain

Ah. Understood. I use a cheap Three PAYG pre loaded with data. Will replace once it’s used up.

Velar HSE D240 - MY19
    Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 10 Land Rover’s and 20 years of amazing customer service.
  • Houghty
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Loire Blue

I have a regular Vodafone sum and it works a treat. The only frustrating thing is Vodafone have done away with the shared data plan across multiple sums I.e. all data on one account. I therefore have a 40gb sim for my phone and another 5gb one for the car. Hmmmmmm
    It’s a shame they took this away as it was a very good option previously

MY18 HSE in Loire Blue with Dynamic Pack and 22" Dark Grey Aero wheels
  • CumbrianCanary
    United Kingdom 

When I spoke to Vodafone they told me it was now illegal to have 2 SIMS linked to one account!
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum