Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Braehead
    United Kingdom 

BMW just flood the market with PCP deals on all their cars. The dealer was falling over himself trying to get me into one at the end of June! I bought my M2 second hand so got a good slug off the new price but still lost a bundle in the year of ownership (went on Tuesday) as there was no exclusivity they way there used to be with performance vehicles.

My preference is really a Disco5 - it's by far the best combination of space (passenger + boot) and comfort. My only concern is the growing hatred of and regulatory risk associated with diesel, despite it being the best option for this type of vehicle from a fuel economy (and performance) perspective. Someone mentioned the other day that the diesel bans in some areas has resulted in a rise in CO2 levels due to more petrol cars. Fair enough NOx levels might be down but new diesels are so much better in that regards anyway. Regulators looking through the wrong end of the telescope again!
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

I do share your concerns, and would have preferred a diesel as we do use the trailer alot, but decided against it. This is our first petrol one.

Touch wood all good so far. Silky smooth with plenty of pull Thumbs Up

We did look at the FF and RRS but just as well getting a saloon she said as it will only seat 5 people, hence we opted for the D5 as the 2 extra seats which are used frequently are a godsend.

Saves taking 2 cars, so it was a no brainer and better value overall.

Am sure diesel of petrol whatever you end up getting you won't be disappointed. Excellent car and so comfortable. Head and shoulders above the D4.

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 11th Jul 2019 1:29 pm. Edited 1 time in total

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Labbix

Another negative for me regarding Audi and BMW is that it doesn’t feel spacious enough inside (and the boot is too small according to the wife). That’s the reason I keep a ‘white’ roof as well in the D5 in stead of the black option. In smaller cars I like the feeling that the car ‘wraps around’ me, but not in big ones, than I prefer that airy feeling. Although I have to agree that pure driving wise, on road only though, both are more pleasant to drive than the D5. But you can’t have it all...
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Yes I agree Labbix with regards to boot and interior space.

The black RRS had a black interior, which looked so small visually, hence went for lighter interior. Mrs did not like it, neither did I as it looked cramped, plus already had black on the D4.

Had cream headlining on the FE which gave it a spacious look. However the Black Pack 1 gave us a dark grey headlining on the Lux which I tried to get changed, but garage could not as it was set in stone on the builder. Dont really notice it tbh as both sunroofs are always open. Still feels nice and spacious, not claustrophobic like the RRS.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

[quote="Braehead"]
    Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    So it remains a fight between X5 M40i, Disco SDV6 and SQ7. Disco is the best of the utility options and the other two are probably the best of the sporty options.

Of all my test drives, my 24hr X5 and 48hr D5 drives were the closest together, just a few days apart, so the best comparison.

I felt the D5 edged out the BMW on luxury, refinement, ride, utility/practicality and (most surprising of all) in the consistency of handling. The X5 felt, space-wise, from a class below.

It was a X5 30d MSport with a large spec and that engine was noticeably noisier and more 'dieselly' than the D5. Now, I love the B58 40i engine (see my pic/car history!) and I have no doubt that it would transform the refinement of the X5 as it managed that trick even in a 4-series. Would the relative lack of torque be a problem in a big SUV though, not sure as I didn't get to drove one and the X5 lost on other factors to the D5. That engine is a big selling point of the X5 for me, all the same.

The X5 certainly has a more sporty vibe, cocooning driving environment and lower set all-around. The handling didn't gel with me though. It feels like BMW don't have the air-suspension as sorted as JLR do. The mix between softness and firmness was confusing at times, wallowy when not necessarily expected and then joltier unexpectedly too. It has adaptive switchable modes, of course, and with a longer period of driving perhaps I would have stumbled across a better combo of comfort/sport/individual. The D5 was softer, but more predictable and linear in it's responses. That was a D5 SE. I hope my order of a Dynamic HSE Lux hasn't Censored the handling Smile

Having spent 5 days in 2 RRSs as well, that would be where my money would go if I wanted the sportier end of the big SUV market. A Dynamic PHEV RRS is a marvellous way to get a petrol one....!

If I wanted real sportiness, I think the Cayenne would beat the X5 easily, noting that a Cayenne is significantly more expensive if you want decent equipment levels.

Long winded way of saying that you are right - D5 is the best utility option, but also beats the X5 and Q7 in interior ambience in my view. That's a matter of taste though.

I wanted petrol too at the outset, I've convinced myself that our other petrol car will be enough if a city ban arrives and that a D5 will always have a rural market to sell too in diesel form. Only time will prove me right or wrong on the latter.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Braehead
    United Kingdom 

Great replies thanks - seems we've all struggled with the same things. Nothing like a bit of confirmation bias to aid decision making Laughing
  • Braehead
    United Kingdom 

In 5 seat configuration do the second row seats recline at all or are they fixed?
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Yes am sure they do recline a bit.
    Only noticed that when I was hoovering the car out.

• klinkhammer
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

I'm so glad you put up this post as I'm going through the same process but whither to go from 4 to 5.

Great replies folks keep them coming.
  • Braehead
    United Kingdom 

[quote="Equilibrium"]
    Braehead wrote:
    Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    So it remains a fight between X5 M40i, Disco SDV6 and SQ7. Disco is the best of the utility options and the other two are probably the best of the sporty options.

Of all my test drives, my 24hr X5 and 48hr D5 drives were the closest together, just a few days apart, so the best comparison.

I felt the D5 edged out the BMW on luxury, refinement, ride, utility/practicality and (most surprising of all) in the consistency of handling. The X5 felt, space-wise, from a class below.

It was a X5 30d MSport with a large spec and that engine was noticeably noisier and more 'dieselly' than the D5. Now, I love the B58 40i engine (see my pic/car history!) and I have no doubt that it would transform the refinement of the X5 as it managed that trick even in a 4-series. Would the relative lack of torque be a problem in a big SUV though, not sure as I didn't get to drove one and the X5 lost on other factors to the D5. That engine is a big selling point of the X5 for me, all the same.

The X5 certainly has a more sporty vibe, cocooning driving environment and lower set all-around. The handling didn't gel with me though. It feels like BMW don't have the air-suspension as sorted as JLR do. The mix between softness and firmness was confusing at times, wallowy when not necessarily expected and then joltier unexpectedly too. It has adaptive switchable modes, of course, and with a longer period of driving perhaps I would have stumbled across a better combo of comfort/sport/individual. The D5 was softer, but more predictable and linear in it's responses. That was a D5 SE. I hope my order of a Dynamic HSE Lux hasn't Censored the handling Smile

Having spent 5 days in 2 RRSs as well, that would be where my money would go if I wanted the sportier end of the big SUV market. A Dynamic PHEV RRS is a marvellous way to get a petrol one....!

If I wanted real sportiness, I think the Cayenne would beat the X5 easily, noting that a Cayenne is significantly more expensive if you want decent equipment levels.

Long winded way of saying that you are right - D5 is the best utility option, but also beats the X5 and Q7 in interior ambience in my view. That's a matter of taste though.

I wanted petrol too at the outset, I've convinced myself that our other petrol car will be enough if a city ban arrives and that a D5 will always have a rural market to sell too in diesel form. Only time will prove me right or wrong on the latter.

What seats were in the X5 and how did they compare to the D5? It would seam the X5 comes with a multitude of different seat option but my understanding is that the D5 HSE lux comes with just the one option. I find it amazing you have to pay extra for lumbar and bolster adjustment on the X5.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum