Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• JW
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Where do you buy your Adblue 10 ltrs containers

Not having a service plan this time I ned to do my own adblue top ups. Initially was going to buy from Halford but have read several posts that their product may not be suitable for JLR engines due to claims that the JLR software indicated incorrect fluid. Advice appreciated
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Euro Car Parts

I use this Ad Blue without any problem.

• winger
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Aintree Green

You should use AdBlue that meets ISO 22241-1 (note the -1 at the end). As Dangerdave says, Greenchem meets this, and you can get 10L for under a tenner from Amazon.
  • JW
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Many thanks guys. I will get my order sent.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I have been using the Halfords 10 litre containers since 2017 and have had no problems.
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Oh, that’s handy to know. The above Amazon price is hard to beat that said. Just ordered a couple of 10lts delivered for £15 odd.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Be careful stockpiling too much AdBlue. It has a shelf life - it needs to be kept cool (but not too cool), dry, and dark. Also, make sure you use all the AdBlue in a container once it's opened - don't close the container and save it. Once opened, the ammonia in the urea solution begins to evaporate and precipitate crystals, which changes the % solution of the urea. This happens more slowly through the cap/seal and bottle, but even on a sealed bottle it happens.

You could end up with bad DEF solution and get a quality warning, requiring a tank drain/flush to resolve.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

What if you store it upside down, akin to a tin of used paint, which will prevent the paint forming a skin or drying up completely. (Talking from experience).

Not sure if this will prelong the life of the adblu, or slow down or possibly prevent crystals forming?

Just my tuppence worth Thumbs Up

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

I suppose it's possible. With a full / sealed container there's little room for crystals to form inside the bottle and the penetration of water and ammonia is slow. Temperature is probably the most important factor for preserving the shelf life of new/sealed containers - cooler is better than warmer, which shouldn't normally be a problem in Olde Angelond and points north. The rule of thumb is you should use your DEF within 6 months, but if you keep the containers cool and dark it can last as much as a year. It freezes at -11C and should be able to withstand repeated freeze/thaw cycles without changing the solution percentage.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Interesting facts there. Food for thought.
    I like to buy in bulk usually as it saves time.
    Mind you I have no use for it just now, but the next car may well be a diesel in a few years time, so will remember these tips Thumbs Up

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • klinkhammer
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

It's there a heater in the adblue tank to cope with minus 11 conditions?
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

I'm sure I read somewhere that they just stop using adblue in very cold weather.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

although ad blue will freeze the engine generates enough heat on start up to cope with minus 25C probably even colder. We went down to -25 this winter if I remember and mine started and ran just fine .

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

klinkhammer wrote:
    It's there a heater in the adblue tank to cope with minus 11 conditions?

Yes, there's a heater in the tank pump assembly. Cold diesel engines don't produce a lot of NOx, so there's not really a need for AdBlue until the exhaust system is up to operating temperature. By then, any frozen AdBlue in the line and injector has thawed by being in contact with the warm/hot exhaust system, and the tank heater has melted any frozen stuff in the tank.

I've been in -20F with mine, and at that temp, fuel gelling is more of an issue. Takes a second or two for the glow plugs to heat the fuel in the line before the engine starts.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum