Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• mctavish
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

USB Media - greyed out

Hi,

Does anyone know the reason for a USB stick showing as a Media Source but **greyed out**?

I have two Sandisk 128GB USB sticks, both formatted as FAT32. One works perfectly and appears as a selectable source, the other always appears in grey when connected and can't be selected.

Both work fine in two other (non-LR) cars, various computers etc.

I've tried everything I can think of to make it work - wiping, reformatting, clearing partition, etc.. Interestingly, I also get the same problem with a Sandisk 64GB when I try to use it as a media source, yet the car is perfectly happy to read this particular USB stick for navigation map updates.

I've tried removing all subfolders and just have a handful of MP3s in the root folder - still doesn't work.

I know that when a USB stick is used that is formatted in an unsupported format (eg. exFAT) a warning message appears on my ICTP screen and isn't happening in this situation so I take that as meaning that the car is happy with the (FAT32) format yet something is causing it to not let this be selected as a source.

I'm running software version 19A.

Any help much appreciated!

EDIT: added screenshot showing my ICTP screen with both USB sticks inserted into the two USB slots by centre console

Last edited by mctavish on 6th Sep 2019 11:37 am. Edited 3 times in total

MY2019 D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey - Dynamic Pack, HUD, TV, Adaptive Dynamics, Capability Plus, Deployable Tow Bar, 360° Cameras, Activity Key
    Previous LR: RRS Autobiography, D3 HSE x2, Defender 90 XS, Defender 90 County SW
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Ive got the same make and size as you, but never had a problem apart from very occasionally when I use it for a map update, despite deleting the update, it appears to occupy space, but then I reformat it and it’s fine.
  • mctavish
    United Kingdom 

Thanks Dave - and that's pretty much how I'd expect it to work, with a format back to FAT32 always sorting out any issues introduced by using the device for a nav update.

I've even tried formatting FAT32 using a PC rather than a Mac to see if that makes a difference which it didn't.

MY2019 D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey - Dynamic Pack, HUD, TV, Adaptive Dynamics, Capability Plus, Deployable Tow Bar, 360° Cameras, Activity Key
    Previous LR: RRS Autobiography, D3 HSE x2, Defender 90 XS, Defender 90 County SW
  • Chopsy
    United Kingdom 

Think I've read somewhere that you can only have 1 type of the same external connection available at any 1 time. Remove the one that usually works and see if the other is available then?
  • mctavish
    United Kingdom 

Thanks - I'd had that thought too and found that I still get the same greyed out result even with just a single USB stick plugged in.

• Chopsy
    United Kingdom 

Yeah. Sorry. Think the actual text suggested you can't connect more than one usb device from a single port. Misread it.
  • B McP
    Scotland 
    2020 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

USB Issues

I have had three USB's connected, and they all show up in the Media source correctly (USB 1, USB 2 and USB 3), plus the Media Library. However, I have noticed that the Media source will remain greyed out until the system has updated the device directory (much like a PC reading the directory on a disk drive). Once it has completed the updating of the directory, then the device shows up fully on the Media screen and can be selected as normal. It can take a wee while to do this, depending on how many files are on the USB.
  • Labbix

B MCP is correct, I always have 2 64GB USB’s plugged in, and almost never I disconnect them, and sometimes they are immediately shown, sometimes it takes a (big) while and then they show, first one, than the other, even the media library from the car itself has the same issue. I think the car sometimes re-reads the content and is re-indexing the whole USB... if you wait long enough the 128GB will show as well, otherwise it’s a software update for the car or installing the same software again that will be necessary.
  • mctavish
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for the suggestions to wait a while to see if the greyed out USB stick becomes available. It's a clean FAT32 format with only 4 MP3 files on it at present to keep things simple and, in theory, quick to index, and so far I've waited 15 minutes after turning the system on - without any success. I'll try again on a longer drive to see if this makes a difference.

What I did discover last night after buying yet another 128GB USB stick, this time from Samsung rather than Sandisk, is that the Samsung device works perfectly, both on its own and alongside the one Sandisk device I have that my car is prepared to read. At least that gives me a working solution for the time being even though it doesn't give a reason for the original problem!

Cheers for the input and suggestions.

• Labbix

15 minutes is way too long to index things. I have 2 sandisks 64 as well, but will try Samsung next time Wink thanks for this info!
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum