Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

33Lurcher wrote:
    Thinking that the 2.0 may be more suitable for us , no need to tow and only 2 of us , going to have a look at local dealer this weekend see what they have in s/h .
    Prob an SE model as don't want Panoramic/sun roof .

If possible get a test drive of both, a 2l and a 3l back too back, as a comparison.

Probably better with the 2l, if just the 2 of you, and not towing Thumbs Up

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Dangerdave wrote:
    Each to their own.

I had a bevy of D3/4s 3lts and apart from the differing exhaust noise, I can’t tell any difference.

As regards performance, it’s lively, although I don’t tow anything more than a trailer and I keep within the speed limits.

Salesman tend to be disingenuous and without much knowledge tbh. They are in it to sell. The last one I fell out with told me I was a fool to pay cash for a car, I just got up and walked out. You don’t go into a showroom and have the seller tell the buyer they need their head read, even if they believe it. Whistle

I wholeheartedly agree, as I think that some of the negative comments, they should keep to themselves, as all customers are different and have various needs. They must think customers were born yesterday, sugar coating everything, making it look better than it is.

Had I initially been after a 2l, I would have walked out too, before having a friendly word with the manager.

End of the day, it's us who are paying the salesmans wages, and a comment like that, even tho I perceived it as wideboy patter, could have potentially lost a sale. (I think the salesman is the one needing his head read) Laughing

I also asked about mud flaps and salesman said that he thought the car looked far better without them, and no need for them was his opinion. I disagreed Shocked

It's like saying I need a tow bar, but salesman says no need, just stick a roof box on and your sorted Shocked

With regards to paying cash, they obviously want you to take finance, so that they can benefit from the interest. Tried that tactic with me too saying its alot of money upfront, but why pay alot more at the end of the day in interest rates, if you can afford to pay it outright.

End of the day, its not the salesmans job to dictate or force us what we end up buying or what we cannot put onto the car.

Yes, they are there too advise, and thats about it.

I know what I want spec wise and accessory wise before hand, as I do my homework before I walked into a showroom. Done it all on the builder.

Never gone in blindly as several collegues felt they had been ripped off with extras they felt they were pressurised into like wheel refurbs and paint coatings.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Labbix wrote:
    @harrythespider: ‘even JLR seem to think 258 horses wasn't enough so gave it 306. rather points to 3.0 litres don't you think? ’

I don’t think JLR believed it was underpowered, but do believe that the sequential turbo setup was better to reach the higher temperature required to initiate the regeneration needed to comply with the emissions standards...

I mentioned way back that I thought the 3l TD6 diesel would have benefitted from being at least 300bhp as opposed to the 258bhp the FE had.

Was having to floor it way back for a safe overtake letting the single turbo spool up.

Am sure the D4 was a twin turbo.

Anyhow seems the new diesel 306 bhp is a far better and smoother engine, as several have posted on here its an improvement over the TD6.

Is the new diesel still a single turbo or have they gone and made a twin turbo?

My brother is test driving one this weekend so will be going along and see how it compares to the older TD6

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 19th Sep 2019 9:57 am. Edited 2 times in total

• Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Very true. Might as well pay cash as the savings rate is so poor, but if you go to borrow!

The only finance thing I’ll do is if there’s a contribution, then I’ll pay it off inside of a week, no clawback.

Paid my last like that, got £2,500 contribution, paid off in 24 hours and got charged the princely sum of £6 interest and a few pence. A lot of dealers don’t like it because LR can and do claw back off them if you don’t keep the finance for 28 days.

PS - put mudflats on myself!
  • Labbix

TD6: single turbo
    SD6: sequential (= bi-) turbo
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Well 2 is better than 1 usually Laughing Thumbs Up

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

the one thing my dealer got right! I said I was planning to pay cash not take their finance, their finance manager said "if you have the cash, why would you pay interest on a loan, finance it yourself over the same period by making the monthly payments back to your savings account.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

True, figures in the bank are just that, it doesn’t really matter so long as you don’t drop too much. Anyway, its soon made up tbh.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum