Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• 33Lurcher
    United Kingdom 

D5 Poss Next Year

Currently in D4 (2016 SE Tech) , and am considering my options when the contract is up (or before) , mine has done 23000 and will be at 30000 mls when its 4 yrs old.
    I took out WD warranty after the LR one expired in Feb this year .
    Have experienced Oil dilution probs/early service warnings in my D4 and previous DS and I am interested to know which engines/model yrs are most affected ?

Also does the D5 have a Fuel Burning Heater or equivalent ? ,

Early days yet but appreciate your views .

TIA
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

2017-2018 had oil dilution problems but at least the later models seem to have been fixed with software updates.

The 2019 SD6 engine doesn't seem to have been affected.

The FBH is available as an extra cost option. It's not fitted as standard.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • 33Lurcher
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for reply Thumbs Up
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

The software update is applied to all cars and my MY17 ( one of the first in March ) is fine now.
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

I have an MY18 3.0td6. It had apparent ‘oil dilution’ issues when it popped up needing a service at 1500miles. I took an oil sample for analysis before it went in which didn’t suggest there was excess dilution from fuel.

So, I got a free oil change that removed the early wear metals from the engine, it was software updated and ever since has tracked the 16000miles between services almost perfectly with absolutely no issues.

I would probably be considered by JLR as having the incorrect use profile- I do quite a bit of short journey driving. However I do undertake regular (fortnightly probably) longer runs too. The latest app gives you distance to service and DPF condition much more conveniently that you could get before. I no longer have service anxiety(!) and have stopped logging and plotting my mileage and service interval. In fact I even have a pre paid oil testing kit that I never used having anticipated I would need more evidence if I came to reject.

In my view the issue is solved and the car has been a joy to own ever since.

Jon
  • Labbix

I believe there is nor was an actual oil diluting problem, in any case no more or less then with any other diesel even looking at other makes. JLR software is not always the best... and definitely not from the start. If I look back at my use of the car it was mainly long runs (only holiday use), but now it’s the daily driver since 6 months with very short km’s, like 4km to kids school and back and shopping close by. So the worst conditions for a diesel and oil dilution. But it is still on track. Only thing that went up a lot is ad blu usage, which is absolutely normal as well. So I was worried as well at the start, but that’s long gone now. But make sure your car has had all possible updates, than it should be good.
  • 33Lurcher
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for replies , pro's /cons on the 2.0 v 3.0 engine ?
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

3 litre diesel over the 2 litre.
    As its such a big bulky car I feel the 2 litre is underpowered and has to be worked hard.
    However different buyers have different needs.
    A few on here say they like the 2 litre, but when pulling out at a roundabout, towing, or overtaking, the extra poke of the 3l is a major benefit Thumbs Up

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

I4d can suffer from balancer shaft whine, not as many on here as the Disco sport though.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

At an extra £5k plus a pop, you pays your money .......

I haven’t found anyone with a 2lt wishing they had a 3lt.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

2.5 tonnes, stressed 2.0 litre or relaxed 3.0L even JLR seem to think 258 horses wasn't enough so gave it 306. rather points to 3.0 litres don't you think?

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Dangerdave wrote:
    At an extra £5k plus a pop, you pays your money .......

I haven’t found anyone with a 2lt wishing they had a 3lt.

Dangerdave, there is a few posts from earlier on where a few members have expressed their concern about the 2l being underpowered.

I distinctly remember that the saleman told me that parting with best part of 70k for a 2l, you need your head read.

No way would I buy one he said.

Also several car magazines have said too avoid the 2l diesel and go for the 3l diesel instead.

Like I said every person is different, with different needs.

The 2l probably be ok if you don't carry heavy loads or tow.

Personally was a no brainer, as we use 7 seats regularly and tow occasionally, and carry heavy loads, not to mention the amount of hills around where we are.

Was a £1,500 premium for the 3l as opposed to the 2l, which to me was money well spent Thumbs Up

Have had 500 kg in the boot as well, several times.
    (Holds 900 kg with seats folded I believe), and felt much better in the 3l than the 2l, which was getting thrashed alot more, especially uphill, and also found the same when towing a heavy trailer uphill.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • 33Lurcher
    United Kingdom 

Thinking that the 2.0 may be more suitable for us , no need to tow and only 2 of us , going to have a look at local dealer this weekend see what they have in s/h .
    Prob an SE model as don't want Panoramic/sun roof .
  • Labbix

@harrythespider: ‘even JLR seem to think 258 horses wasn't enough so gave it 306. rather points to 3.0 litres don't you think? ’

I don’t think JLR believed it was underpowered, but do believe that the sequential turbo setup was better to reach the higher temperature required to initiate the regeneration needed to comply with the emissions standards...
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Each to their own.

I had a bevy of D3/4s 3lts and apart from the differing exhaust noise, I can’t tell any difference.

As regards performance, it’s lively, although I don’t tow anything more than a trailer and I keep within the speed limits.

Salesman tend to be disingenuous and without much knowledge tbh. They are in it to sell. The last one I fell out with told me I was a fool to pay cash for a car, I just got up and walked out. You don’t go into a showroom and have the seller tell the buyer they need their head read, even if they believe it. Whistle
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum