Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Well funnily enough that's what the trainer told me too. They reported it too the LR garage and
    they told them it's fine, and just keep driving it until it breaks, then it will get replaced Shocked

So, would you buy a car that has been used by LRE?

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Labbix

4500k to change pads (and rotors?), still too early for my liking... but indeed they have to work hard and such off road days are pure fun Wink
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Nope definately not an OV plated experience car.

Luckily am able to always purchase brand new, but I would not a happy chappy if it made that noise, and they refused to repair it.

Here's hoping your one doesn't develop the clunking noise.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Labbix wrote:
    4500k to change pads (and rotors?), still too early for my liking... but indeed they have to work hard and such off road days are pure fun Wink

He never mentioned replacing the rotors, but they will probably be getting scored to bits as well.

So they most probably change those too after a couple of times changing the pads.

The cost will be pocket money to them, especially for the amount they charge for a full days course.

With regards to wheels and tyres, the latest James Bond film was filming there recently. They rang and asked for a few sets of wheels if they had any spare ones.

After filming, replaced the lot with brand new tyres the instructor said.

I wish I had neighbours like that Rolling with laughter

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    Nope definately not an OV plated experience car.

Luckily am able to always purchase brand new, but I would not a happy chappy if it made that noise, and they refused to repair it.

Here's hoping your one doesn't develop the clunking noise.

It's interesting to note that JLR sell off the LRE cars via their dealers as "approved used JLR cars".

Alas, I doubt I will ever be able to afford a new D5 (and tbh not sure I would even if I could).

If the rear diff was to get noiser, and they don't do anything, then my D5 would probably be another that mysteriously self ignited lol

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Labbix

Here a good explanation from Porsche why they use the active rear diff lock:

Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus) including electronic rear differential lock:
    Standard in all 911 Turbo models: PTV Plus. The system actively enhances vehicle dynamics and stability and operates, in conjunction with an electronic rear differential lock, by varying the distribution of torque applied to the rear wheels.
    It improves steering response and steering precision. At high speed and when accelerating out of corners, the rear differential lock, with infinitely variable torque distribution helps to ensure greater driving stability.
    But what does that mean for the driver? Remarkable stability, easier handling and outstanding traction. As well as greater agility with precise steering and stable load transfer characteristics. What else? Unrivaled driving pleasure at every twist and turn.

Same goes for the disco Wink
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Mordred1973, can you not permanently disengage the rear diff from the infotainment system, if you don't require it?

At least you won't get the horrendous clunking noise, or does it auto engage/disengage, when slippage is detected, and can't be permanently disabled?

I forgot to ask the instructor, as when I took over, I could already see that the rear diff was already activated on the screen. It did help on the steep slippery rock climb I did, as I think a car without would have definitely struggled. (I have this footage on video and it's impressive with all 4 wheels spinning).

I was afraid that the driveshaft would break, as it was making such a noise. I jokingly told the instructor that I don't want to break the car, but he assured me it was fine, as that is what the dealer told him. He did not sound convinced either with the dealers advice. If it was my car I would be worried driving it tbh.

With regards to the Ex Demonstrater LRE cars, I would avoid anything with OV, OW, OE, and OY in Fuji or Yulong white.

We were using a 19 plate HSE which had only covered 4k. So it will probably get punted shortly, after taking the stickers off, and replacing or refurbing the wheels with new tyres and then advertised as a low mileage managers car. I noticed that several of the cars had badly scored alloys, due to all the rocks on the course. It made me cringe. Noticed a 19 plate FFRR having several large chunks of rubber gouged out from the tyre sidewalls as well.

Also done the offroad course at Knockhill a good few years ago using an Isuzu Trooper. The instructor told me the same. Cars will get the plastic trim bits over the arches replaced if damaged from branches etc, and any dents will be pulled out, before selling as ex demo cars which they are. A good workhorse I may add, but not a patch on the D2 that I had.

However ex demo in my mind suggests that a car is used on the road, for normal driving purposes, and not thrashed about offroad.

I would definitely be buying a cheaper set of alloys if I was taking the car offroad or steel wheels which are alot more durable and take a good battering.

I can see the appeal, say if a farmer buys a used D5 with the rear diff, etc and save several thousand in the process, as he will probably be throwing a few sheep in the boot, along with his wet muddy sheep dog, hence buying a dealer approved car, which he will most probably be using offroad too, makes far more sense than a brand new car.

However I dont think the kids or the Mrs would be impressed having a permanent sheep smell in the car, and even though the cars are made for this, the amount of punishment and abuse they suffer from the Experience days, is a no go for me.

Even brand new cars can break down on day 0, and am talking from experience.

End of the day, we all have different needs and requirements, and it's a hit or miss tbh.

And for those who are moaning about the lack of space in a D5, compared to a D4, I rest my case Rolling with laughter

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 22nd Oct 2019 5:49 pm. Edited 1 time in total

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

roadrunner....

No there is no option to "disable" the rear active diff, in the same way there is no option on the centre, it just appears on the screen in the same way with the padlock unlocked and then locks up as soon as it sees fit. Judging by mine, the centre locks the second you put foot on the gas at all and the rear locks predominently when pulling away but not in the straight line (thought that would of course be when the diff was supposed to be free to allow the wheels to rotate at a different speed).

From a Facebook group, I can tell you, JLR do not do anything to the cars prior to disposing of them, other than if a service is due, when their "defleet company" Paragon undertkaes the service for them. The cars go to closed auctions for JLR dealers to buy along with all of the other JLR fleet vehicles, resplendant of LRE stickers, gouged wheels and tyres etc and it is for the dealer that yhas purchased them to tidy them up.

The couple of ex LRE D5's I know of, still had tyres dating back to date of manufacture, front tyres that lose their pressure due to having a layer of grit and muck between the rim and tyre. The dealers in general then refurbish the wheels and sell them as "JLR Management Cars".

Of course now that the V5 doesn't show the former keeper, no one will be any the wiser....having said that, they tend to have an amazing spec on them.

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Thanks Mordred, I learned several things from your post Thumbs Up

Well that may well explain why a few people are putting up posts that their wheels are already blistering on their preowned car. Possibly has had a cheap spray and refurb, unbeknown to the owner.

I think on the V5 it should say who the previous owner is, as at least the customer will have a better idea of its history.

Yes i agree, ex managment cars are usually really well specced up with all the toys Very Happy

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Alas as a result of GPDR the DVLA no longer provide detail of who the former keeper was.

The days of contacting them to ask about the car have gone

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Yes it's a shame, all going online and paperless nowadays.

Sadly making it easier for fraudsters though.

Read a while ago that the number of people not buying a tax disc has increased since they got rid of them.

I miss carefully ripping around the perforations, and replacing the disc.

Those were the days Big Cry

• DG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

I've had 2 x D3 ...2 x D4 and now a D5 ...never needed a rear locker even on the most hardened terrain ...including following those with one. Ultimately it isn't required and IMO just a hat tip to those beardy woolly underpant wearing duffender lovers Whistle Wink
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Blimey a brave man, 5x Discovery. This is my first and most definitely last experience of JLR

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Only rear locking diff I ever had was on the D1, which I inherited from my dad, which he had specced from new.

Never had the need to spec it on the 2,3,4 or 5.

Unless I end up living in the most desolate or remotest part of the planet, I may have a rethink and tick the option box on the D6 Laughing

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum