Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• x13pow
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Front HDMI Missing on My20

I have just picked up a HSE LUX and there is no front HDMI port, there is 2 in the rear but having my fire stick plugged in to these do not allow me to watch from the front so i have to get in the back to setup for the children.

Anybody worked out how to get this fixed? if i fit a older front panel with hdmi do you this it would work? or has anybody fitted the a xcarlink ?

I wish i ordered the TV tuner which i tried to change but it was too late Sad
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

It's all well fitting an older panel with the HDMI connection, but if there is nothing under the original panel, i.e. a wiring connector or socket for it to connect too, then am afraid it's a lost cause.

See if there are any wiring diagrams online with regards to this, or unscrewing the panel yourself to see if there is a connector for the HDMI, otherwise you will just end up with a dummy HDMI socket.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • x13pow
    United Kingdom 

Yes it would be a waste if it doesn't work but at the moment i have no idea how much they cost but i do know them and the connector is normally a multi plug so guess the only thing would be to try, I can search my TOPIX account for the wiring diagram i guess.

Anyone any thoughts on the xcarlink?
  • BruceT
    South Africa 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Fuji White

Sorry for the side question but what is this HDMI plug for anyway? I believe you can plug in a hard drive with movies on it but doesnt work when driving anyway. Or is this incorrect?

Thank you
  • x13pow
    United Kingdom 

Live TV through a fire stick, i only need it in the front to actually navigate to it in the first place as i cant leave my 3 year old todo this.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

BruceT wrote:
    Sorry for the side question but what is this HDMI plug for anyway? I believe you can plug in a hard drive with movies on it but doesnt work when driving anyway. Or is this incorrect?

Thank you

If you have the Dual View specced, then the front passenger can watch the TV whilst on the move.

Am sure the same will apply to whatever is plugged into the HDMI, if you have the dual view.

However the driver cannot view anything whilst on the move for safety reasons, just when stationary can they view the TV.

I think the same principle would apply if you DON'T have the Dual View specced. Still be able to view and set up whatevers plugged into the front HDMI, but only when vehicle is stationary, but not on the move.

(I am in the process of using the front HDMI for reversing purposes only, as have connected a couple of external cameras. Hopefully get it finished this week and put the photos up).

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 28th Oct 2019 9:57 am. Edited 1 time in total

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • BruceT
    South Africa 

Ok thank you.
    Seems a bit of a waste to me if you dont have dual view then whats the point. Will give it a try though as you never know maybe I am lucky and I have dual view. Very Happy

How would you know if you have dual view without trying to play something?

I have an HSE with no sim, but has HDMI, and two USB's as well as the DVD player. Seems like its a bit of a lucky draw what is fitted.

Sorry for the thread hijack.
  • Chopsy
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

From memory I think if you have dual view you get a tab on your main screen with 2 screens overlapping.
  • Chopsy
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

If this link works it will show you the icon to look for

https://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/docume...c/G1888176
  • BruceT
    South Africa 

thank you Chopsy.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

The whole point of dual view is so that you can play either a dvd or watch TV for the front passenger. The driver can then view the map or whatever else they want too on the infotainment system. That's the easiest way to test it.

There is also a tab on the infotainment which has 1-2 on it. This is for setting the front passengers viewing choice. If you don't have this tab, then I am afraid you dont have it.

I highly doubt you will have it unless you specced it. I only found out that I needed it, so that the front passenger can watch the TV and a DVD on the move, so I thought it was pointless for the rear passengers to be able to watch all this whilst front passenger misses out.

It's like the rulers you got in your school days which when held at an angle would flip and move. The dual screen is like that. If you move your head from left too right or vice versa, you will see 2 seperate images on the screen.

• BruceT
    South Africa 

Thank you Roadrunner.

I didnt spec my vehicle as it was a demo model I purchased at a steal. I dont recall seeing the tab but I havent tried the DVD player or the HDMI yet either.
    I also dont quite understand why have a DVD player also, unless you have that dual view screen.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

No problem BruceT Thumbs Up

I am not sure either tbh. I suppose its just a money maker for LR.

Pointless having RSE and the front passenger cant even view the dvd or the TV without forking out £600 plus for the dual view.

However I think its aimed at kids in the rear seats more than anything else, and you have to pay extra for the privalege for the front passenger.

Had RSE in the FE, and as soon as you drove the car, the screen went blank and all you got was the audio from the Dvd playing. Very annoying.

I bought an aftermarket double din for my last car, complete with a DTV, and reverse camera, all for £250.

Both front and rear passengers could watch both the TV and dvd. Was not dual view but was nearly half the price of the dual view by itself.

TV was around the £1k for the LR, so was about £1,600 including the dual view screen.

Compared to my setup i saved £1,350 and really impressed with my unit.

Sat Nav, front and rear cameras, DTV, Dab radio, dvd, Internet access, mirror link for phone, USB connection etc.

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 28th Oct 2019 11:16 am. Edited 1 time in total

• BruceT
    South Africa 

I think i know why they are called Discoveries now.....we keep discovering things about them Smile

Thank you again for all the info.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Welcome Thumbs Up

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum