Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Dohnut
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for all your replies. Makes interesting reading.

Personally I seem to change my mind daily at the moment. The interior design of the XC90 appeals more but externally I prefer the disco and in SDV6 form seems to have the Volvo licked in the engine dept. too.

It’s a shame the Q7 is styled like so... the tech, engines and build quality seem superior but I can’t get past the fat estate car looks.
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

I’d probably take a Q7. Perhaps a Volvo. Both have bad depreciation, but then so does a D5. You don’t buy a new car for an investment.
  • Labbix

Q7 boot is very small, for sure with the 7 seats and really cramped at the back. No spacious feeling in the front either... but engines are good and top technology!
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Oh? Mind you the kids are gradually flying the nest and taking up permanent Uni residence. I think they see it as an occupation in itself. The eldest has plans for basically a decade there. Crying or Very sad

Anyway, the upshot is I don’t need the space so much.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I don’t get on with the Q7 inflated estate looks either. If I had to choose another 7 seater, the X7 stands head and shoulders above the competition for me. A little anodyne in styling and certainly lacking in the luxury feel that the Disco HSE luxury cabin has, but a great steer and very refined. Top notch tech in every way too.

The other drawback is it’s just a bit too big around busy car parks and stupid small mirrors make you more conscious of its size in urban driving. Given where you live Dave, and making an assumption that the extra length may not bother you, I’d suggest checking one out.

No need for 7 seats, I’d get the X5 45e that Jim has gone for.

Disco sure is tough to beat though.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Labbix

New defender, if it wasn’t for the dealer Wink
  • Andeh13
    United Kingdom 

Neighbor has a new XC90 and they looked at the Disco5. He wanted to the Disco5, his wife preferred the look of the Volvo.

He regularly admits he wished he had held out and gone for the disco5, purely due to all the little 'niceties' the disco5 has. Folding tailgate, electric seats, air sus, more powerful engines, rear seat entertainment, though he admits his blue is a much nicer colour the D5 palette which I agree with him on.

He has not been without problems as well, 2 x new door locks, new infotainment screen, water leak and his infotainment system still regularly frustrates him.

Seeing as we regularly park up next to each other, and take it in turns driving to the pub & have done for the last 18months, I can very confident say the d5 is the better all rounder. Volvo is simpler & 'cleaner' but it is simply out numbered & out gunned.
  • Browser
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Fuji White

I had an XC90 before my D5, excellent tech, everything worked, it was a T6 petrol engines was so sweet, great Scandi Design.

Seats where really uncomfortable, no space in row three, no armrest on the door card top, so uncomfortable on long journeys, stop start battery always flat, the touch screen was complicated distracting and awkward to use, no tactile buttons.

The D5's tech is pretty 80's and why there needs to be three different ways to turn the heated seats on Ive got no idea, but its the better car for me, most comfortable and the sir suspension is a dream..

2019 HSE LUX
  • eelpout
    United States 

Labbix wrote:
    New defender, if it wasn’t for the dealer Wink

Not sure I could go back to a side-swinging cargo door. On my older vehicles I remember I had to be conscious of what was parked behind me, the door would occasionally close on its own when parked on a slant, etc.

And especially one that for me is on the ahem, "wrong side." Wink

As for dealers, I know there is this (mostly Tesla-owner fueled) idea that all dealers suck, but I use to love my LR place... until they merged with their sister Jag dealership and tried to be all posh. Smile
  • Dohnut
    United Kingdom 

So after driving both I’ve decided the XC90 is the better car for me.

I love the look of the disco, the SDV6 and the driving position but for me the XC90 (on air) rode better and it’s cabin is a lovely place to be. In R-Design Pro trim it looks great too. Also, with all 7 seats up it has the bigger boot.

Off road I think the disco wins but I don’t need that extra capability.

Thanks for the help/advice on here. It’s a great forum/resource.
  • mack1979
    United Kingdom 
    2020 Discovery SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

The X5 hybrid loses the 3rd row of seats as well. Hope LR don't do that when the 2021 D5 comes out.

New D5 HSE 3l SD6 MY20. Black and all the black options!
    Old: (sold) D4 MY11 3.0l SDV6 (black obviously)
  • DangerMouseUK
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Dohnut wrote:
    So after driving both I’ve decided the XC90 is the better car for me.

I love the look of the disco, the SDV6 and the driving position but for me the XC90 (on air) rode better and it’s cabin is a lovely place to be. In R-Design Pro trim it looks great too. Also, with all 7 seats up it has the bigger boot.

Off road I think the disco wins but I don’t need that extra capability.

Thanks for the help/advice on here. It’s a great forum/resource.

There's a lot of things I'd give to an XC90 (having owned one XC90 and 2x XC60) but riding better is not one of them !!

They're definitely better built and the interior is a nice place to be that has to be said, but the engine, drivetrain and the chassis really lets the cars down if you enjoy driving in my opinion.

With that being said as a vehicle to safely transport people around they're great, I just got very little enjoyment from any of the three I used - still good cars though - just not for me personally.

MY20 SD6 HSE Luxury
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum