Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Dohnut
    United Kingdom 

Should I get an XC90?

How many of you considered the Volvo when purchasing your D5’s and what was the deciding factor(s) that made you choose the disco?
  • Quasar
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Fuji White

Yes. I considered an XC90. Didn’t like the 2litre engine and found the touchscreen difficult to use on the move. More traditional buttons and switches would have been helpful. Fit and finish of the Volvo was better but more room in the Discovery.

Ended up with the Discovery.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

Considered the volvo as my parents have had volvos as long as I can remember and never had any problems with them. I have had 2 myself, and they have been great cars, but the xc90 can only tow 2800kg, and my horse trailer has a max weight of 2700, so i would regularly be towing nearly the maximum that the vehicle can tow.

Didnt like the thought of that.
  • Ronbo
    United States 
    2017 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Re: Should I get an XC90?

Dohnut wrote:
    How many of you considered the Volvo when purchasing your D5’s and what was the deciding factor(s) that made you choose the disco?

We had a ‘99 S70 AWD and an ‘06 XC90 V8. Good cars but the S70 required two converter box rebuilds.
    Seems there was a part that should’ve been brazed rather than soldered (according to the Parts Mgr).

The XC 90 V8 is great, engine built by Yamaha. However, the 8 speed trans is a problem and may fail at anytime.

Not pleased with the 2 liter 4 cyl supercharged/turbocharged engines of the new Volvo’s so went went the LR.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I wanted a XC90 or XC60. The cars seemed ok, build and materials alright on the XC90 but I feel slightly behind the D5 HSE and Lux. The dealer experience was so underwhelming that I used the rest of my lunch break to visit a LR dealer (unplanned) and the rest is history.

Four cylinder engines a major put off of the Volvo. At £60k plus levels they are not good enough imho.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • milesg
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

I had one of the first of the new shape as a 6-month lease. Nice R Design styling pack in black, 22" wheels, black leather & Suede... Looked nice... however.... every time I stopped at the light if I had not disabled Stop / Start, it would refuse to restart without me having to go through a recycle of turning the car on / off.

It was in the shop every 3 weeks for about 2 weeks at a time before they finally replaced the lease with an F pace... which was vile....

Oh well.

HSE Lux in Silver / Black
  • MalithS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Considered and looked at XC90. 2 litre engine put me off also the touch screen system wasnt very nice and the features on it. When you compare the Disco HSE the disco wins hand down. The quality of material inside, space, 3rd row seats offer much more room in the disco. XC90 was ok to sit in the 3rd row but its more suited to kids than adults (also 3rd row seats just manual while Disco was powered). To me the disco is more roomy, comfortable and better tech on it and you know it can handle a hell of a lot more off road than the XC90!
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

think its fairly safe to say, all new stuff with software seems to have issues....its about how well the individual dealer handles that which makes or breaks the brand and ownership perception.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Labbix

Had multiple Volvo’s myself and driven lots of them, I really like the brand, and some are still made in Belgium Wink
    The xc90 definitely looks better than the D5, but that 2 liter engine...
  • petet
    United Kingdom 

considered the XC90, my wife found it far more difficult to get in and out of compared to the d5. The geometry of the door is not as good - my wife has replacement joints but happily gets in and out of her VW transporter camper van and the D5. I looked at the plug in hybrid XC90, but the service guy who had one for day to day transport talked me out of that.
  • BSE Disco
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 SE Loire Blue

I looked at the XC90, but the lack of a V6 diesel option and lower towing capacity was the clincher. Although I tow within the XC90's max weight, the fact the Disco is operating with such a big margin of capability left over is very reassuring. As is the 516 lb ft of torque, which is about 50% more than the XC90.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Alas within the next 5 years, we will all be subjected to a 2.0 4 cylinder by the government. Will end a lot of the fun!

Then it'll be electric and loads of cars with flat batteries after sitting in traffic jams

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I have just ordered a BMW X5 45e hybrid.

It has an electric range of 54 miles and then has a 3 litre 6 cylinder petrol engine to take over.

It will suit me as I do not need the 7 seats and cannot bring myself to buy another diesel car.

I know it will not be to everyone's taste, but it is very comfortable, luxurious interior and far less cost than a Discovery.

Fingers crossed it is going more trouble free than the Disco!! Rolling with laughter
  • Craigp
    England 

Will you be leaving us? Who's going to redirect the punters from the other web site to this one Shocked
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Ha! ha! Rolling with laughter

I have not been on the other site very much lately, but instead prowling BMW sites to learn about their hybrid. Thumbs Up

I have enjoyed this Disco and my previous couple of Sports but my needs have changed and fancy something really different.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum