Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• duffer
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery TDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

13 to 7 pin converter

Hi All,

I have an electric tow bar (don’t ask, it was on there when I bought it) it has a 13 pin connecter.
    Can anyone recommend a converter to use 7 pin trailer electrics?
    There seems to be quite a choice on amazon and I want to make sure it will fit the genuine LR socket.

Cheers.

D
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

The 7 and 13 pin electronics are generic, as you’d expect, any old converter will fit to be honest.
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

If you are prepared to do it, I would cut the 7 pin plug off the trailer and replace with a 13 pin. Fewer potential points of failure.

I used an adaptor with an old caravan and ended up cutting both the 12N and 12S plugs off and rewring into a 13 pin plug. It was a tight squeeze with that much cable but was much more reliable. Should be easier with just a 12N cable and probably cheaper than an adapter too!

Regards

Jon
  • JackNorris
    United Kingdom 

Id also recommend you replace trailer wiring for ease

That said, A eBay adapter works well.

MY2020 Discovert 5 Landmark 3.0 | MY2019 Discovery 5 SE 3.0 - Gone| MY2016 Discovery 4 Graphite - SOLD | MY2015 Discovery 4 SE Tech - SOLD
  • bammmy

I bought the adapter for around £7, had no problems keep in in the car when not required, it’s there if I need it. As already said they are a generic fit👍
  • Mostyn
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Loire Blue

If you go with the adaptor, make sure you remove it before stowing the electric towbar...
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

I have a single adaptor for the trailer and also the dual adaptor, for a caravan and trailer. They are all universal fitting unless otherwise stated.

Store them under the small flap in the boot. No issues reliability wise with either of them.

Its all fine saying chop the wires off, but if family or friends want a shot of the trailer, there will be problems as they all have the old 7 pin as standard, unless they have a 7 too 13 pin adapter sitting about.

My new trailer i bought came with the 13 pin socket as standard though, so was a nice surprise.

What I will say is that the dual adaptor has a lever which just locks into place. Its alot easier than the single adaptor which if not lined up correctly is tricky too insert Thumbs Up

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum