Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Jemoss
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Firm up the ride?

Hi,

We have recently purchased a 2017 discovery 5 First Edition in Orange with black 22" wheels and we love it. We would however prefer it if it didn't wallow as much on windy roads. I'm sure our disco 4 was firmer in the corners. Is it possible to adjust the firmness of the suspension? If not via the infotainment can the dealer do it?

Thanks for your help!
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

You could set the suspension in offroad mode but would have to stay under 50mhp. But if that works for you, you could look at suspension rods to get the lift so to avoid it dropping down.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Jemoss
    United Kingdom 

Thanks Ron,

I would have thought putting the vehicle in off-road mode and being sat higher on the road would make the rolling in corners worse? Or does it adjust some of the dampner settings also?

We'll have a play with the ride hieght this weekend and see. The main issue is the kids are getting car sick and they never used to!
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

had exactly the same issue, we only have 20" wheels, so ride even softer. We came from a XC60 with ultra low profile tyres and Rdesign suspension, almost no give in the suspension.

22 months later the kids have got over feeling sick now!

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Adaptive Dynamics (which is only an option from MY19 on iirc) is the only thing that makes further difference beyond tyre size.

It’s particularly good at improving the response within multiple direction changes whilst the car is unsettled and gives less uncontrolled rebound over a quick country road. I’ve found that non-AD cars lose composure more quickly - and did ramble on at length in a post when I had a loaner.

All academic though, sorry, as it’s not a retrofit possibility afaik. But worth knowing if you ever buy another.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Jemoss
    United Kingdom 

Thanks Mordred1973 and Equilibrium.

Sounds like we've got another 18months of car sick kids then!! Will definately make sure AD is an option when we look for our next one!
  • Brownie
    Singapore 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

Switch to sport mode will firmed up the ride.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I thought sport mode was gearbox only?

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Brownie
    Singapore 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

I do feel that the ride is more firmed everytime I switch to sports mode or at least my wife say so. Everytime she will complain the car feels very "Boaty" till I use sport mode. 😁
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

If possible,stay with same tyre diameter but increase tread width and reduce aspect ratio, that will firm up the ride.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

20's make the car more boat like as more tyre wall flex.

22's meanwhile make for a sportier ride and alot less body roll, and better handling.

Difference was like chalk and cheese.

(I did a big post on this way back).

We too had issues with the kids feeling sick.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Labbix

So pump the tyres up to minimize flex and boat feeling, is what I did.
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

I have 20" wheels and the only times it feels "boaty" is when I do river crossings. Maybe I have too much air in my tyres.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

I agree it is the most wallowy slightly out of control car I have driven in 20 years. even on motorway the other day in the wind it was actually rocking side to side.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Labbix

I agree it’s my most wallowing car as well, but not most out of control, the first Audi A6 was horrible, lifting the front wheels when turning if too much on the throttle, never liked that car, luckily the second and third generation A6 never had this.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum