Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Whippetman
    England 

AA man said he’s picking up a lot of LRs needing new engines so looks like an epidemic.
    Apparently whilst people like you and me keep buying them they not worrying about the cure.
    Hoping that I will now have a decent time of enjoyment but will definitely go for warranty when due.
    Can’t imagine keeping without a warranty.
    £17k ...........

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • marvin
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si4 HSE Corris Grey

I never would keep without warranty. It expired without me realising (I bought 3 months old from dealer). They never mentioned it and even thought it was still covered, along with breakdown which I ended up needing when it locked solid at a junction

Needless to say I won’t be paying it myself, they had already offered 80% for timing chain/solenoid which was replaced prior to the engine failing (on the way back from collecting).

Let me know how you get on please - good luck 🤞
  • rb1965
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Scotia Grey

I stupidly turned down the extended warranty because I thought £1k pa was extortionate. Now I know why it was so high... should have figured the logic... it's high because it would be needed...
  • marvin
    United Kingdom 

Just out of interest how were you notified?
  • rb1965
    United Kingdom 

Can't remember off hand... might have been the dealer, might have been JLR writing. I will have look at correspondence file but may not have kept. Nothing on email just done a search
  • ChrisPBlackburn
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (180) HSE Lux Montalcino Red

Exactly one month on and still no sign of a new engine, the saga continues.

Who knows how long this may take.

ChrisPBlackburn wrote:
    I also got the call today to say my engine would be replaced.

3 Years old 41k miles, only just in warranty.

• Whippetman
    England 

Trouble is now we’re in lockdown they will have plenty of excuses to delay it.

• marvin
    United Kingdom 

rb1965 wrote:
    I stupidly turned down the extended warranty because I thought £1k pa was extortionate. Now I know why it was so high... should have figured the logic... it's high because it would be needed...

JLR have just authorised my engine replacement at over £17k (100%). No idea how long it will take but at the end of its finance so will just hand the car back. Will be my first and last Land Rover car.
  • rb1965
    United Kingdom 

Just been into the garage this morning today - after the additional testing the replacement engine under goodwill has been approved and the parts ordered. Not a stock item so god knows when it will be in. Meantime have been advised not to use the car.

To add insult to injury I was responsible for a small tear to the lining of the rear passenger door on the Jag XF loan car. Just been charged £1000 - the full excess amount - because the entire door card needs replacing. A £1300 item.

Talk about falling out of love with a brand... Sad

Have ordered X5 PHEV as a replacement. Wont be arriving til March so at least plenty of time to sort out the engine before handing it in....

And no longer need the disco as all activities I would have used it for have been canned now with Lockdown - tell me, is this a silver lining? Doesn't feel like one Neutral
  • marvin
    United Kingdom 

Ouch! I know how you feel about the brand although I think the dealers also have a big part to play in this.

I’ll hopefully get my new car later this month (Tesla M3).
  • Whippetman
    England 

rb1965 wrote:
    Just been into the garage this morning today - after the additional testing the replacement engine under goodwill has been approved and the parts ordered. Not a stock item so god knows when it will be in. Meantime have been advised not to use the car.

To add insult to injury I was responsible for a small tear to the lining of the rear passenger door on the Jag XF loan car. Just been charged £1000 - the full excess amount - because the entire door card needs replacing. A £1300 item.

Talk about falling out of love with a brand... Sad

Have ordered X5 PHEV as a replacement. Wont be arriving til March so at least plenty of time to sort out the engine before handing it in....

And no longer need the disco as all activities I would have used it for have been canned now with Lockdown - tell me, is this a silver lining? Doesn't feel like one Neutral

I paid Enterprise £55 to loose any excess on the loaner, well worth the piece of mind!
    On the second round Enterprises came up with a Mazda something I just left It in my office car park and used the wife’s shopping trolley to avoid any bother Laughing

• karansav

2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Corris Grey

Reconditioned engines

Hi all. For some reason i bought the 2017 sd4i after having an absolute nightmare with the Disco 3 10 years ago. My engine has packed up as well so looking at options. I notice there are a few second hand and recon engines available. has anyone looked at this route and if so have any suggestions where to get them from?
  • rb1965
    United Kingdom 

given the experiences outlined here I'm not sure a 2nd hand engine is a great idea... dunno how the franchised dealer system works in Malawi, could your supplying garage not help or was it bought privately?
  • Whippetman
    England 

Re: Reconditioned engines

karansav wrote:
    Hi all. For some reason i bought the 2017 sd4i after having an absolute nightmare with the Disco 3 10 years ago. My engine has packed up as well so looking at options. I notice there are a few second hand and recon engines available. has anyone looked at this route and if so have any suggestions where to get them from?

I wonder what LR does with the failed engines.
    I was assured the replacement engine is not reconditioned but brand new.

• karansav

2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Corris Grey

I am not sure what they do but i have got a quote for a replacement remanufactured engine from a UK LR dealer for just under £7000. That would indicate that LR are also remanufacturing the engines.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum