Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• John C
    United Kingdom 

Check your earth now!!!

Hi,

Broke down this morning - complete loss of power (no hazards!!!) on a very busy dual carriageway. Had the police out closing the lane waiting for recover etc.

Seriously scary - glad it wasn't at night.

Am pretty sure it's a lose earth somewhere, and after a bit of googling it appears it's not an uncommon fault. A friend had very similar and it was the body earth (pull off the batter cover in the boot and look for the one on the left at the bottom of the battery). So definitely check it's not lose!!! My friend's earth got moved to another point.

Key things :

- Check your earth

- If it happens, you can't access the boot (especially if you have electric seats like mine!), so might be worth keeping essential items like your recovery eye/torch not in the boot.

- I've just bought a battery powered hazard light

- If it happens on a busy road you are likely to be recovered by someone who is not familiar with the car... so make sure you are aware of how to release the transmission manually (it's not covered in the manual and is in a different place in different engined cars). I won't post it up here for security reasons, but feel free to DM me if you have a load of posts on this site

Hope that helps!

John

2024 Defender 130 Outbound Dynamic HSE, Carpathian Grey
    2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey, 2005 TDV6 D3, Cairns Blue 290K miler.
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

possibly related to this service bulletin?

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • John C
    United Kingdom 

Ah. Good spot!

Thank you!

John

2024 Defender 130 Outbound Dynamic HSE, Carpathian Grey
    2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey, 2005 TDV6 D3, Cairns Blue 290K miler.
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

happened to me last winter!

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • Dickthebuilder
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Happened to me - it started being weird when Start/Stop - then died after Sop, didnt start, pressing Start button killed the car completely

It was the earth in the boot - LR Assist came out and moved the earth - it's a recall, but not a safety recall - so you can book in to have it done but they wont write to you

Time flies like an arrow - but Fruit flies like a banana
  • B McP
    Scotland 
    2020 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

I got notified last March about this and asked about it then, but LR had not supplied the tools and parts at that tiime. I got a second notification in August last year for N400 - SAFETY RELATED RECALL - Discovery - Startup Battery Ground Stud - Insufficient Ground Contact. I booked the car in and waited 20 minutes - job done and no issues since.[/b][/i]
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Got ours done when we had an issue with the battery draining last year and the window mechanism failing. AA guy was called out. Took the panel off in the boot and said oh, I see your earth stud had not been moved. Simply unscrewed the old stud and moved it further up. Took all of 30 secs if that. Never asked him to move it, but we never had issues with it, but better safe than sorry I suppose. Told me he had done a score of them already, plus I did say that there was a bulletin issued about it, but we never bothered chasing it up.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

I asked dealer about my June 2017 Td6 needing the earth recall, was told my car wasn't "in the range of cars affected" so fingers crossed it carries on ok....

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum