Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• andynoiseboy
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Kaikoura Stone

How the hell do mice get in the cabin??

I recently found some mouse butt-nuggets on the passenger seat so I've been placing a trap in the car. I must stress, I'm not happy killing any animal but the potential for damage here outweighs my morals.
    So far, I have caught 3 field mice, and I suspect that's nt the end of it.

My question is, how can they get in there when the car can wade through 3 feet of water without cabin leaks?
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Can i ask if you transported bales of straw or hay in the boot by any chance, and its possible the mice were already nesting in there already.

My friends a farmer and advised me too always pick up straw,hay or chicken feed in the trailer as he got an infestation in his Vauxhall Frontera years ago which nibbled his wiring and set his car on fire.

(I find it's far easier hosing the trailer out than all the mess left in the boot, especially stuff like coal, logs, sand, cement and chuckies etc. I usually get straw for putting around the strawberry plants).

All that ever goes in the boot is the weekly shopping.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • andynoiseboy
    United Kingdom 

That makes sense Roadrunner, but I haven't had anything like bales in there since, as you say, you're better off with the trailer for that.
    I haven't been using the car very often since china attacked the world and I did leave it in the field for a while. So I can see that mice could be interested but never thought that the cabin might be accessible.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Mice are acrobatic little Censored , and they also chew through stuff pretty efficiently. Check your cabin air filter for a hole - my guess is they got in the fresh air intake for cabin air. That's all above the wading depth anyway. Had a coworker leave his beater truck in a field for 3 months, the first time he drove it, his A/c motor failed. Oh, well, just a beater, roll the windows down. Worked fine for a few days until the smell permeated the cabin from the dead mouse babies that had been killed when the motor seized on their squishy little bodies. You should also check the air box for a nest.

If they're inside the car, they're already chewing on wiring harnesses. A different coworker leaves his car out at night...rabbits chewed through a wiring harness for his airbags, which was a $3500 repair.
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

Chipmunks , although this one seemed to like German wiring!

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • andynoiseboy
    United Kingdom 

Thanks Diesel Ranger for your suggestions. I'll have a look to see if I can find anything around the air inlets, which I guess are at the upper bulkhead area.
    I didn't catch another overnight last night so I'm hoping that's it. We're very rural here and rodents are prevalent but this is the first such issue I've had. I put it down to the car standing for much longer than would be normal. Not sure what preventative measures I can employ to prevent this though.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

If you can't drive it regularly at least start it up daily and maybe run it around in a circle every couple days just to keep 'em guessing.

Nothing much you can do about mice other than help them understand their prospective home is a noisy, dangerous place to perpetuate the species.
  • andynoiseboy
    United Kingdom 

I'll try think of reasons to make journeys. Just become more difficult today due to national lockdown!
    I'm wary of short journeys at the moment since I've recently had 2 DPF full incidents with no warning, despite both happening after long motorway journeys. Feeling a little fobbed-off by the dealer...
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

You could try peppermint or clove oil around the intakes not too much that it distracts you but enough to deter the little blighters.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • andynoiseboy
    United Kingdom 

I've read mixed reports on 'smells that repel'. Some say that mice very quickly get used to it.
    In this weather, I'm not sure how long it would be effective.
    I haven't trapped any more for 2 days now so maybe it's under control.
    My advice though is be vigilant if you're not using your car (any car) much right now. Keep a close eye out for little butt-nuggets in the wells and on the seats.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum