Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

Even though the spare is mounted on the rear door on the Defender, the jack is stored under the rear floor panel. So you may still have to remove your dog cages.

Discovery 5 D300 Metropolitan.
  • TeaforTwo
    United Kingdom 

Yes of course you are right, but although I can change a tyre, there is no way I can on my RR or Discovery or Defender if I was driving by myself, I couldn't even lift the tyre!
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Teafortwo, is there an argument right there in your last post for a X5/X7. Runflats. Very Happy

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • TeaforTwo
    United Kingdom 

That indeed is a positive Very Happy
  • MauroL
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

After 21 Years and 5 Discovery , 2 Discovery Sport and 1 Jaguar F-pace. I'm persuade to change the Carmaker.
    Massive quality Problems not solved on my Disco 5 since 3 Years, 1 engine blow up of Disco 4. I'm very skeptical of the future of JLR.

They have to fix their Problems, starting from Design to Quality and not only design.
    It's a real shame how the credibility of the company has detoriorated,

The most beautiful car design on the Market do not help, on the contrary it's increase disappointment.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

I was saying to my wife yesterday “imagine how could this car would be if BMW built it, or even better, Toyota”. The design and feel good factor is awesome, if only they could screw them together properly and make every feature work every time you try to use it.

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • TeaforTwo
    United Kingdom 

MauroL wrote:
    After 21 Years and 5 Discovery , 2 Discovery Sport and 1 Jaguar F-pace. I'm persuade to change the Carmaker.
    Massive quality Problems not solved on my Disco 5 since 3 Years, 1 engine blow up of Disco 4. I'm very skeptical of the future of JLR.

They have to fix their Problems, starting from Design to Quality and not only design.
    It's a real shame how the credibility of the company has detoriorated,

The most beautiful car design on the Market do not help, on the contrary it's increase disappointment.

Welcome.

Sadly you summarise what some owners have experienced and as far as this thread is concerned is still a worry for me. Sorry you have had so many problems.
  • TeaforTwo
    United Kingdom 

Equilibrium wrote:
    I was saying to my wife yesterday “imagine how could this car would be if BMW built it, or even better, Toyota”. The design and feel good factor is awesome, if only they could screw them together properly and make every feature work every time you try to use it.

It is a good point.

I am sure any car of any make can have problems, and although we all hope for a 100% reliable car we are all probably realistic that a problem may occur. I can only talk from my RR, but it does seem as soon as the problems start they keep coming thick and fast.

I do not know if LR rush their products to market or it is a lack of QC or I suppose more worryingly they are not tested thoroughly. Having just driven 2 Defenders and a Discovery 5, when they work they are very nice cars.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

It’s very frustrating. Our other car is a seven year old Toyota, which has not had a single issue since new. Which is exactly as I would expect from the brand.

Prior to the D5, I had BMWs for 9 years. Both very good, one of them I had for almost 7 years and 105k miles. The stuff that plays up on my Disco now was never even a consideration on the BMs - it just worked.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the car and chose it the first time because it had so many strengths and appeals way beyond the X5. And then I chose another despite having to reject the first one, still preferred it to the X7.

It’s just very frustrating that they are not even close to having the basics of build and reliability nailed. Especially disappointing when my D5s were the third and fourth years of production of the model.

• MauroL
    Germany 

It’s really a very deep shame how a national champion has been destroyed trough the time.

I’m driving as company car since 15 Years a premium limousine engineered in Munich, therefore I have a reference where nearly I wish JLR should be.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Equilibrium wrote:

Interestingly, in the US, BMW quality is nothing to aspire to.
  • MauroL
    Germany 

Because the JDpower classification it’s different from the European standards.

Fact is that JLR it’s by far not comparable to other Premiums carmakers.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Sort of agree, DieselRanger. In my opinion, the only brands that really do quality properly are Japanese and, perhaps, Korean. That’s taking quality to include reliability and robustness.

BMW are good, though, in my experience and in the general market. Certainly good enough.

I would say that no one is infallible though, Toyota’s European diesels were dreadful - hence eventually partnering with BMW. I know, as I had one of their 2.2 fours for 60k from new. Awful white smoke after a couple of years and quite a few issues dealt with under warranty.

Sorry teafortwo for diverting so far off topic.

• MauroL
    Germany 

Fully Agree!
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Equilibrium wrote:
    Sort of agree, DieselRanger. In my opinion, the only brands that really do quality properly are Japanese and, perhaps, Korean. That’s taking quality to include reliability and robustness.

BMW are good, though, in my experience and in the general market. Certainly good enough.

I would say that no one is infallible though, Toyota’s European diesels were dreadful - hence eventually partnering with BMW. I know, as I had one of their 2.2 fours for 60k from new. Awful white smoke after a couple of years and quite a few issues dealt with under warranty.

Sorry teafortwo for diverting so far off topic.

The BMW problems people claim here are engine/mechanical related, not so much the electrical gremlins that generally plague JLR and most other luxury automakers. But yes, the Japanese automakers, and at least Hyundai/Genesis from Korea, generally do quality engineering very well. I would love to see JLR poach some production design engineers from one of those brands. Maybe with Frenchie La French in the seat now we will see a change. Confused Wink Very Happy
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum