Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

The power behind the throne. IMHO, she is an immensely pleasant and intellectual person.

• TeaforTwo
    United Kingdom 

Equilibrium wrote:
    Sort of agree, DieselRanger. In my opinion, the only brands that really do quality properly are Japanese and, perhaps, Korean. That’s taking quality to include reliability and robustness.

BMW are good, though, in my experience and in the general market. Certainly good enough.

I would say that no one is infallible though, Toyota’s European diesels were dreadful - hence eventually partnering with BMW. I know, as I had one of their 2.2 fours for 60k from new. Awful white smoke after a couple of years and quite a few issues dealt with under warranty.

Sorry teafortwo for diverting so far off topic.

No need to apologise Equilibrium, reliability is a concern not just of the JLR brand. On my RR the problems were all to do with the suspension, no electrics or engine issues other than replacement turbo hoses, so although infuriating I never experienced many of the problems others have had.

The problem is for expensive cars I expect them to get me from A to B when I need to and not with the worry of what warning light is going to come on next.

Saying that coming back to my original question of D5 v X5 (and now for me including Defender 110) reliability also needs to be coupled with the vehicle actually fitting all our needs. Life is never simple!
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

As a long time BMW owner, I was so close to committing to both the X5 (in early 2019) and X7 (in early 2020).

There’s no doubting that the D5 out points the X5 in many areas IMHO. Off road capability is a no brainer in favour of LR,
    obviously. For me, interior and boot space were the keys, as well as the fact that a bit of snow or a minor flood is less likely to trouble the D5. Those were the objective wins for the D5. It then won on the subjectives of luxury, looks and driving manners too.

The X7 closed the gap to the D5 by having the interior and boot space nailed, albeit at the cost of exterior length. Incredible second row space in that car.

The BMW home run for me is the tech - iDrive is just so great to use and has consistently the best capability on the market. Cameras much better than the pre-facelift D5 too, but facelift has fixed that hopefully.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • MauroL
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

I wrote to the Customer Care of LR asking a official statement on the infinitive Problems on my D5.

The answer will lead the decision of testing the MY 2021 or lease the X7 wich i tested for a entire WE and exceeded my expectations by far
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Seems you made your mind up already.

I don’t blame you. After a succession of LRs, I too believe it’s time for a change when the time comes.
  • MauroL
    Germany 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

Not really, but I need a reliable car.
  • TeaforTwo
    United Kingdom 

Just a quick update, we have decided to purchase a Defender 110, it was a very close decision with the Discovery 5 and the X5.

Thank you to everyone for their help and opinions I appreciate it very much. Although we haven't chosen a DIscovery 5 this time that doesn't mean there may not be one in the future.

LR have been given another chance!

Thanks again.
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

Which engine and spec have you gone for?

Discovery 5 D300 Metropolitan.
  • TeaforTwo
    United Kingdom 

Having driven the 3.0 MHEV and the 2.0 (240) we actually preferred the 240, it was smoother than the MHEV.

We have agreed a good deal with a 70 plate only a few weeks old with less than 500 miles, HSE spec with a few other options on.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Sounds nice Teafortwo. Hope you enjoyed the selection process. Always more fun for me than actually getting the new car!

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

TeaforTwo wrote:
    Having driven the 3.0 MHEV and the 2.0 (240) we actually preferred the 240, it was smoother than the MHEV.

We have agreed a good deal with a 70 plate only a few weeks old with less than 500 miles, HSE spec with a few other options on.

I am thinking about a new Defender against a new Discovery. Looking forward to trying both with the new D300 engine.

Discovery 5 D300 Metropolitan.
  • TeaforTwo
    United Kingdom 

Equilibrium wrote:
    Sounds nice Teafortwo. Hope you enjoyed the selection process. Always more fun for me than actually getting the new car!

Thanks Equilibrium, the process was stressful at times just trying to weigh up what is important for our needs versus the good old reliability issues, only time will tell on that one!
  • TeaforTwo
    United Kingdom 

BigCol66 wrote:
    TeaforTwo wrote:

I am thinking about a new Defender against a new Discovery. Looking forward to trying both with the new D300 engine.

Be interesting to hear what you think of the new engine, I couldn't really put my finger on what about the MHEV both husband and I didn't like, there did not seem to be much of a power difference and as I mentioned previously the MHEV just seemed to interrupt any smoothness (that is about the best way I can describe it).

Anyway decision made for us now and we are happy with it!
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Good luck with the D4 engine, probably the safer bet as at least its a known quantity, LR's track record introducing new engines and systems is not great - new I6 engines and 48V electrics not yet proven in real world over any length of time, plus you've got a proper 4WD vehicle not a part time AWD vehicle which is what the new I6D Defender and all I6 engine D5's come with.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • TeaforTwo
    United Kingdom 

Thanks Trevor, the Defender does seem to fit our lifestyle (for want of a better word) with living very rurally, having dogs and livestock etc. A world away inside from the old Defender's but as you quite rightly say the AWD capability is second to none which is important to us but now with a bit of luxury inside now.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum