Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    +1 on those awful wheels

completely agree, even if I was in the market, those wheels would be enough to stop my buying a specific car. Oh plus the fact every one I have seen advertised doesn't have low range.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

Equilibrium wrote:
    Think those new wheels are awful though, look like they should be on a Golf or Corolla, not a 2.5t SUV.

Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    +1 on those awful wheels

mordred1973 wrote:
    completely agree, even if I was in the market, those wheels would be enough to stop my buying a specific car.

I totally agree, the old 22" wheels were light years ahead aesthetically! It's why I paid the extra to have them in black, so it hides the 5 spoke design more.

mordred1973 wrote:
    Oh plus the fact every one I have seen advertised doesn't have low range.

I'm glad you say that. I initially put the AORCP on mine just for 'resale' appeal, but my dealer was trying to talk me out of it. I left it on because for the sake of £600 I thought WTHN, so it's good to read at least one person will find my spec more desirable come resale! Mr. Green

2021 D300 R-Dynamic HSE - Carpathian Grey.
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

Walk-around of the Charente Grey (Brown) HSE now live:

Nice to see something different, but it's a no from me, on both the colour and the interior.

... and a walk-around of the Byron Blue SE posted earlier in this thread, is also live:

• 2B
    Netherlands 

I love the Byron blue.. ... would have preferred the green
    that's now available on de New Defender, almost like the
    Vienna Green that I had on my old D3.. Embarassed

RR P400e hybrid Autobiography 2019 & MX-30 BEV
    D5 SD4 HSE 2018 Corris grey, Black roof/balckpack (SOLD), F-Type P300 Ultra Blue 2018 (SOLD)
  • Jayd5
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

The wheels are growing on me, which is good as they will be on my car. I also will have low range as I have ordered the tow pack. I can’t believe the twin speed box is not standard. I suppose it shows that most people don’t take their cars off the black stuff. For me though as I tow I find low range very useful especially hitching up in a field with an incline.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Biggest worry now is finding one with low range in the nearly new market will be almost impossible, in which case may as well go buy a XC90 or other 100% road biased SUV. Since the Discovery will have gone from being one of the most capable vehicles to purely another SUV.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

mordred1973 wrote:
    Biggest worry now is finding one with low range in the nearly new market will be almost impossible

If LR balls up the MY22 update for themselves, prompting me to cancel, then there will be at least 1 car immediately available for you! Laughing

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Laughing

• Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

As the majority of these are now used for school run, that's why single speed and part time awd as std now. Its all about getting Co2 ratings as low as possible.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

hang on you're saying its no longer a real 4 wheel drive either?

• Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 

Correct, it doesn't have a mechanical centre diff, it uses a clutch to drive the front prop shaft so can run as rear wheel drive only, also it disconnects the drive to front driveshafts so front prop, pinion and crown wheel stop turning to save fuel. There is a write up on the Defender forum as the I6D 21my's also run the same fuel saving drive line arrangement.

• Jayd5
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

A real 4WD has a transfer case, it runs in 2 wheel drive only on the road then you select 4WD on loose surfaces. They often have front and rear diff locks. This is mainly now only found on 4x4 pick ups like the Isuzu D Max. Original Defenders where 4WD,

Permanent 4WD has constant drive to all 4 wheels but has a twin speed box and centre diff. The centre diff can lock the power to front and rear axles to act like a 4WD on loose surfaces. All Discovery’s, Range Rovers have always used this

AWD has power to all 4 wheels ( typically with a front or rear bias that can be up to 95%) but these have open centre diffs, this means typically if only one wheel has traction the car gets stuck.

The 2021 disco has effectively permanent 4 wheel drive (low range) is an option. So it’s locked in 4WD when you need it but can also be awd or even 2wd to save fuel. Very clever if you think about it, but no detriment to capability.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

however based on Trevor's comment, it actually now normally runs in rear wheel drive and whenever the rear loses traction is engages the front wheels using a clutch. So basically runs the same system as all the high street SUVs that run a haldex clutch to engage the additional wheels. Offroad performance must suffer as I know on my previous haldex cars you could feel the momentary loss of traction until the other wheels engaged.

Sounds a notable step back in capability to my 2017 which says it runs normally with a torque split of 50/50 and if you have the 4x4i screen on, every time you accelerate the centre padlock shows the centre diff is locked.

• 2B
    Netherlands 

Good point : the 4x4 screen spills the beans.. Thumbs Up

RR P400e hybrid Autobiography 2019 & MX-30 BEV
    D5 SD4 HSE 2018 Corris grey, Black roof/balckpack (SOLD), F-Type P300 Ultra Blue 2018 (SOLD)
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 

The 21my will always start from rest with 4wd engaged, then disconnect the front drive once moving, in most selected TR modes it should be 4wd also. Its all done to maximise Co2 reduction where on test the car is always tested in "normal" mode, that's why stop start will always default to "on" at ignition start and has to be turned off, and can't be latched off at ignition on.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum