Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• ginogiov
    Italy 

Details about the Discovery 5 Si4 engine.

Hey there,

I am an owner of Discovery 3 V6 SE (190 HP) EURO4, planning to buy a new Discovery 5 HSE with the (more little) Si4 P300 petrol engine.

Does anyone have experience with this model/engine ?

I know for sure the 300 HP are not the cheapest solution, speaking about fuel consumption.

Thank you for any comment and/or suggestion

Giovanni
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

My wife has the 2L petrol (in 200bhp guise) in her epace.

It is basically the same engine.

It is, so far, been absolutely no problems (coming up for 2 years).

It is very smooth when warm. A little rough when cold.

Nice power delivery.

All in all... We don't regret getting it.
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

I have an F-Type with the 300hp engine. Its really a great engine. The torque is constant from 1500-4500 rpm, very unreal for a petrol engine. In my F-Type I get 8,5 L / 100km, but I do drive fast.

I also have an F-Pace 25t. The basic block is the same, but turbo, water- & oil-pump are different. It really lackt in power in the higher revs. We never really pushed it, since we ran it in upto 5000km, just a week ago a situation occured in which I floored it [9500km, well run in]. I was overtaking uphill a row of cars lurking behind a tractor, all small hatchbacks with 0,001 L engine capacity. But uphill and a bit heavier then the F-Type, makes a difference. It ran out of oempf.. .. revving like mad, but no breath to go !

I already traded it in, waiting for the D5 SD4 to be ready. Its not new like the F-Pace, but that is due to the insane car taxes here.

The F-Pace only has 250hp, and in normal driving it gives 9.5 L /100km. But if you drive sedately you can get up to 7 L /100 km !! I know since the car was collected by an elderly valet who took it to my dealer and back [ 120 km one way]. On the control site I checked where he went, but he drove 90km/h almost constantly... Rolling with laughter on the highway..

RR P400e hybrid Autobiography 2019 & MX-30 BEV
    D5 SD4 HSE 2018 Corris grey, Black roof/balckpack (SOLD), F-Type P300 Ultra Blue 2018 (SOLD)
  • Browser
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Fuji White

I had a 2018 2.0 si 300 bhp Petrol, was fantastic, superb power delivery, felt a bit strained at times but incredibly smooth and lighter on the front. Great car, slightly fast running on start up, but a good car overall.

2019 HSE LUX
  • ginogiov
    Italy 

Thanks everyone for the feedback !

I have just picked up my new Disco5 HSE Si4.

For now all ok, with one only bad surprise: my old MP3 CDs are not correctly recognized by the internal CD player. Probably due to the low bitrate (they use 192 Kbit).

On the -pervious- old Disco 3 SE TDV6 they was perfectly played, without any issue.

Thanks again
    Giovanni
  • AndyB
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Si4 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

SI4

I have an SI4 ..

Very pleased with the car and great to drive plenty of power on the road thats for sure.

I do a lot of short journeys and landrover Diesels for my own personal life style made no sense as most the jounerys around town my disco sport was only getting 26mpg and had problems with oil dioluation.. 12,000 miles and 5 oil changes was a joke especially when I specifically ask the sales about the issue and he said it wouldn''t be a problem

Having seen loads of issues with the diesels for my short journerys,,, DPF, Diolation I decided if I was going to stick with landrover then it had to be petrol or move brands after 25 years of owning different models..

So I origninally was going to order a Disco Sport P250 HSE but ! having missed my big Disco 3 for 8 years I decided it's time to buy with the heart not the wallet.

So Disco 5 P300 was only option for me, So far it's been great but yes it's thirsty ! ...

Around town 16-18mpg .. but don't forget it's not up to temp and I have seen a little higher.

On a run it's returning 27mpg @70mph which although not great is still great for a car of it's size and it can shift when it needs to and engine sounds more like a fast saloon than a big diesel and I have to say it's very quiet on the road...

I think my advice is this to anyone...

- Short Journeys a lot , school runs , commuting, (normal family use) - Si4 or si6
    - Towing Motor, Long Journeys once a week at least SD6 or TD6
    - SD4 - from what I have seen / read - avoid but maybe other owners can advise better but I have seen a lot of replacement engines,

They just my thoughts .. people may agree /disagree at end of day it's your wallet but in terms of fuel costs yes it's higher but factor in for me all the time I lost with DPF's, Oil changes ,... Petrol Made more sense than ever. Yes I was dreading fuel costs but then when you are paying so much for the car should you really worry.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum