Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• ThatMartinChap
    United Kingdom 

Squeak/Squeal after starting car

A while ago I noticed a squealing noise while driving that only occurs intermittently after starting the car from cold. Get a few squeals in the first mile or so then nothing.

It sounds very similar to break squeal - however occurs "randomly" and not coincident with using brakes. I started thinking maybe a slightly slicky caliper or something but had been too busy (ie. lazy) to investigate further.

However, while de-icing the car yesterday, I noticed the exact same noise when the car is stationary, just sat there on the drive warming up, maybe a minute of so after starting the engine I get a few intermittent squeals maybe 3 seconds long then silence. What could cause this type of squeak/squeal ? Some sort of acuator sticking ?

D5 D300 R-Dynamic HSE MY21
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

where does the sound appear to be coming from? What engine?

I get what I call a "creak" that occurs under the vehicle usually after I stop and turn off the motor. This is I believe related to the emissions system based on where it's occurring. It's a metal-on-metal sound that sounds like a metal butterfly valve seating itself closed inside a metal pipe.
  • ThatMartinChap
    United Kingdom 

maybe it's my age Laughing , but i found it hard to locate. Seemed to be coming from under the car, towards the front maybe. but I could be wrong on that. Need to check it some more when I get a chance.

The sound is like squealy brakes, or a squeaky garden gate - i.e. a high pitch squeal. Not super loud but loud enough to hear inside the car.

• B50int
    United Kingdom 

My guess would be a drive belt slipping.

MY23 (2022) D300 SE R-Dynamic Eiger Grey, Tow Pack, Matrix Headlights and a few other options
    Gone: 2018 HSE 3.0 tdv6 Santorini black
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Apparently there was a recall on the D300 engine for sqeak from fead caused by the air con compressor bracket being out of position.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • ThatMartinChap
    United Kingdom 

Trevorb1 wrote:
    Apparently there was a recall on the D300 engine for sqeak from fead caused by the air con compressor bracket being out of position.

oh ! interesting. Will defo check that out Thumbs Up

• Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Sticking fan belt tensioner caused my squeal
  • ThatMartinChap
    United Kingdom 

ok - also seems possible. The car's going in for service soon so I will get it checked out.

• Aldo
    United Kingdom 

I have a belt type noise when I start on cold. I think it’s the alternator belt.
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

@Martin

I had mine done last week, due to squealing on cold (start) which started at Xmas. It's the FEAD belt, but the belt is not the actual first cause of the squeal...

On MY21, the Air Con unit bracket isn't/wasn't torqued correctly at factory, and over time (mine took nearly 20k miles to start!) it works loose, this then cause the FEAD belt to move, and in turn causes the squeal.

I called LR assist out, who diagnosed it, he said it was common and LR know about it. He advised me not to drive the car anywhere but to the dealer as there is a risk of the belt snapping.

The dealer replaced the bracket, re torqued correctly and also replaced the belt etc. It was all done FOC.

Smile

2021 D300 R-Dynamic HSE - Carpathian Grey.
  • ThatMartinChap
    United Kingdom 

Hi Windy

Many thanks. Actually just after new year my car developed exactly that additional squeal which is constant for about 10minutes then fades as engine warms up. Mine is booked in to get done, although I have been driving it Embarassed

I am not yet convinved that this is the same problem as I originally stared with. The belt slipping noise is like classic high pitched "fan belt" squeal, whereas the other occasional noise is more like an unoiled garden-gate sound that happens in 1 or two second bursts. I can still hear that occasionally in addition to the now-constant squeal. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, LR will take a look at it. Hopefully both get sorted.

Thanks.
    -Martin

• ThatMartinChap
    United Kingdom 

Well, I had the FEAD belt done. At least that noise is resolved.

However the original squeak is still there, LR thought it might get solved with the belt fix, clearly not. Evil or Very Mad

• Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

I had a similar response when taking my car in for 2 noises back in 2021.

They fixed one noise (belt tensioner seized) but not the other. They too, ‘assumed the two noises were connected’. No one thought to roadtest the car after the belt/tensioner fix.

It’s not rocket science, just common sense.
  • ThatMartinChap
    United Kingdom 

Yep, fully agree. Oh well, next time maybe. At least the original noise seems quite benign (for now).

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum