Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

My dealer is fantastic. When presented with a series of independent lab tests, they told me, "just bring it in on schedule and ignore the warnings." JLR North America CRC was engaged early and stated there was no problem with me changing oil on schedule rather than as it requests it as they could find no cause and thus no solution to the vehicle requesting oil changes early. I retain the communications and case numbers which remain on file with them.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Interesting, in the UK the dealers were all saying it had to have the early oil and filter, some were charging some were doing it FOC.

JLR refused to comment when I wrote to them other than saying "if the vehicle is used for a lot of short journey's, which a diesel shouldn't be, then it will require more frequent oil and filter changes due to oil dilution caused during forced regenerations of the DPF".

Doesn't matter now anyway, car is out of the 3 year manufacturers warranty, I have the extra oil change recorded by the dealer (at their cost) and the n241 update cured the notifications.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Thanks to Volkswagen, I believe there's a reticence on the part of manufacturers to discuss any customer issues related to diesel engines in depth. I've never had a problem with my dealer and have had good experience with the North American CRC, so I can't complain.

Anyway, If you're out of warranty, I recommend switching to Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 as you'll get more life out of the oil. If you want to stick with JLR approved oils then supposedly Amsoil or LiquiMoly has better performance than Castrol.

I had a virgin oil analysis done on fresh Castrol Edge 5W30 carrying the STJLR.03.5005 spec (from the dealer, no less) for the Td6 engine, and it came back as not meeting industry specifications for 5W30 viscosity, and low in TBN (a measure of additives that mitigate shear and other oil-life extending properties associated with acidification). So while the FIO dilution doesn't happen as the engine thinks, there is risk of running that oil in high load situations close to the stated 16,000 mile service interval.

I provided these results to the CRC as well...they said they would take that to engineers but I never got any feedback on that.

EDIT: looks like Mobil Super 3000 5W30 now also carries the STJLR oil specification.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Have to admit I have never considered changing it earlier than the car asks for it. it was 16500 miles between the last oil changes and due to lockdown shorter trips is currently aiming at about 15,000 miles currently.

Since it has never yet been to the dealer without a list of other items to look at, servicing will still be at the LR dealership for the 4th service. (one day they will fix the parking sensor issue that's been on-going for 2 years).

Undecided yet whether I risk keeping it to 5 years old or get rid in summer 2021......

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum