Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Flinders
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

D5 - Which 3.0L TD6 or SD6?

Looking to swap out my Evoque for a D5 in April so looking at the options now to decide which to go for.

Do I go for a TD6 or SD6? Any issues need to be aware of with either option?

I need to tow up to 3.5 tonne so it will be the 3.0L and diesel due to the number of miles a day I travel so petrol or 2.0L not an option.

I see there is a First Edition and Landmark are these better than the HSE? Looking at HSE trim or above.

Also looking for electric deployable tow bar. Are these safe and sturdy or am I better having fixed tow bar to tow horse trailer?

Any advise what to watch for when buying from dealers to avoid or obvious problems to check for on a vehicle I’m interested in? Thank you Very Happy
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Don’t want to be rude, but new members are asking the same questions every week. Please use the search facility and you’ll see the answers you’re looking for.
  • Flinders
    United Kingdom 

Thanks Darras i understand you’re not being rude. I have been lurking for a while and carried out searches and read as many of the posts but still was unsure on TD6 or SD6 Neutral
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Used to be SD over TD, but I am sure it’s no more than personal preference or urban myth. You can find horror stories about both.
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Flinders, basically TDV6 & SDV6 are the same engine, single turbo 256Hp 600Nm torque on TDV6, Twin turbo 306Hp 700Nm torque on SDV6. The TDV6 power and torque are the same as the Twin turbo V6D fitted to the Discovery 4. Early TDV6's flagged early oil dilution due to DPF regeneration, the oil dilution is based on a calculation, not measured, the dilution algorithm was updated during 18MY as a result of the work done to certify the SDV6 which came in at 19MY. My first D5 was a TDV6 18MY and was flagging an oil service every 5000 miles, after the engine management was updated with the revised calibration it then went the subsequent 2 service intervals of 16000 mile each. Note, 17MY cars cant be updated to the later engine management due to different electrical architecture, so will continue to flag early oil service requirements. 18MY got an electrical system upgrade, which basically delivered In Control Pro with 10 inch centre screen on S & SE trims, and full configurable instrument pack screen on HSE & Lux. I've just swapped to a SDV6 Landmark, but due to Covid have only done 850 miles in 2 months whereas I did 350 miles a week in the TDV6.
    Towed 1800Kg caravan with the TDV6 with no issues, expect the SDV6 to be better due to more torque when eventually can get out. Both my D5's have had the electically deployable tow bar with no issues. The fixed tow bar, to my mind, is a pretty ugly looking thing, and is not even available on the revised 21MY cars.
    Landmark trim sits below HSE, it is basically an SE with fixed glass roof, Meridian stereo and black wheels / dynamic exterior pack. My Landmark was 1 of the last available V6D cars with electrically deployable tow bar in country and is fitted with a whole host of additional extras which brings it close to HSE spec.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • bammmy

Hi, I have the 2019 HSE. The engine is the SDV6 absolutely no problems with it at. Due to this engine being the twin turbo version it has no problems with oil dilution (if it ever actually existed), either way my advice is SDV6, this is only available on MY19 onwards so will be buying a newer car. Being the HSE it has all the toys I require, also during manufacturing had fitted the detachable tow bar, not used that often but when required was again faultless. I’m sure others will have their opinion but that’s mine👍
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

bammmy wrote:
    Hi, I have the 2019 HSE. The engine is the SDV6 absolutely no problems with it at. Due to this engine being the twin turbo version it has no problems with oil dilution (if it ever actually existed),

This is wrong. The 306hp SDV6 found in the 2019> Disco 5 is the exact same 306hp SDV6 found in the 2015> RRS. The engines are identical, and they suffer badly from oil dilution if only used for short journeys, and that's before we start talking about the crank snapping issues.

My 2016 RRS suffered with the oil dilution problem, so yes it did exist, and Land Rover admitted there was nothing they could do about it apart from replace the engine. They also refused to cover the specific issue in any of their extended warranty, so I got rid.

2021 D300 R-Dynamic HSE - Carpathian Grey.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

There are documents which were posted on one of the D5 facebook groups that indicate that the change from TD6 to SD6 in the D5 coincided with Ford (who manufacture the engine) starting to use a strengthened crankshaft.
    I don't have any access to any actual data comparing the rate of crankshaft failures in the SD6 compared with the TD6 but if the documents are correct then it should be lower.

Quote:
    The article is not accessible from the EU unless you use a VPN and put you IP elsewhere.
    http://www.trucktrend.com/features/1905-de...l-engines/

I have added a bit here

"During design, changes were made to common components that Ford shares with JLR's variants of the engine. "For example, we put many updates and tweaks important to the durability of the engine into the crankshaft line. JLR also received the benefit of those updates," Pumford told us. "Other parts of the Ford engine are entirely new, like the block, EGR system, and a different fuel system. Everything existing (in the older engine family) was modified for F-150."

Ford's center of small-engine excellence is in Essex, England, at the 44-acre, 1.9-million- square-foot Dagenham Engine Plant. If you're looking for specifics, there is an 84mm bore and 94mm stroke. The engine produces 250 hp and 440 lb-ft of torque. Cannell F 150 3l 1909

With several engines being built and the new engine running down the same production line, some parts remain common. "To keep costs manageable (and because the heritage is sound), bore spacing stayed as it was, and pistons are common, but the systems are different," Pumford explained. "The internals are different; we've made sure the internals work for F-150. We toughened the crankshaft, and we've done the analysis for pistons, rings, and cylinders. For F-150 durability requirements we changed the bearings."

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

For comparison, the US spec F150 PowerStroke is rated to tow 10,100lbs on a ladder frame vehicle (11,400 lbs for a regular cab/2-door RWD only). In theory, the ladder frame is actually a weak point as the D7U platform is far stiffer than any ladder frame vehicle - the difference is in the engine.

The changes according to Car & Driver:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1477308...ails-news/

Unfortunately here in the US we don't get the SDV6, or the new D300 - we still only get the TdV6 and the Si6 through MY2020.

In 2021 we only get two choices - the P300 and the P360 MHEV.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Perhaps another point to take into consideration is; if you go for a 2017 HSE or Limited addition for good spec, you could save annually on road tax as the later models RFL is considerably more. I'm not sure if the Gov have decided what the renewal rate will be for the higher band after the first 3 years fixed cos.t

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Flinders
    United Kingdom 

Thank you for all this great advice! I was looking at the 2017 but I think I’ll look for anything from 2018MY upwards.

My husband has the 2011MY RRS and this is the 3.0L SDV6 engine. So is this the same as the D5 SD6 engine? We’ve also had a 2006 RRS with the TDV6 engine so is this the same as the TD6? Much prefer the SDV6 RRS.

The reason I’m getting the D5 is because I need to tow trailer and horse and my OH won’t let me put an ‘ugly’ tow bar on his motor! Lol! I’ll hold out for the deployable tow bar on whatever D5 I get then!

I’ve read about the oil dilution in evoque’s thats why I went for the 2.2L 2015 evoque rather than the later models that had the issues. Hadn’t realised this issue was also on the D5’s. I’ll just make sure good warranty or remaining time on the Land Rover warranty still in place.

Thumbs Up
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

Just a small comment to add... I have a very early 2017 D5. It was given the update for oil dilution and gives me perfect service intervals, so it CSN be done on a 2017 model.
  • Flinders
    United Kingdom 

That’s great! Opens my options again Very Happy to look at the 2017 models.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

Just for info, the chassis number on my D5 is HA000408 so in theory it was the 408th off the production line. So it is an early one.

I am very happy with it.

It has been almost faultless except for the window leaking (common fault that was covered under warranty).

The oil dilution complaints have not shown up on mine at all but I had already asked the dealer to update it when I bought it 2 years ago. It was exhibition stock so it was "new" even though it was actually 2 years old. It had a mileage of only 70kms so for me that was a new vehicle.

It also has the deployable towbar. Works great. Advise you to spray the mechanism (in particular the small spring for the electric socket) with white grease regularly to stop it from corroding. This is apparently the biggest issue with the deployable towbar.

I use mine for pulling my Ifor trailer with 2 Friesian horses on a regular basis. It does it with total easy. I often do longer trips with the horses (500kms is common) and the D5 shows no sign of stress.

All in all... It is a really nice comfortable vehicle and I have NO plans on replacing it!!!!!
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

nebc100 wrote:
    Just a small comment to add... I have a very early 2017 D5. It was given the update for oil dilution and gives me perfect service intervals, so it CSN be done on a 2017 model.

Yes my March 2017 HSE was one of the first and the update sorted the service interval.

2017 HSE now sold, if you own WF17AXN then you have a well sorted car!
    2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum