Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

I agree, there is a worrying trend of very expensive sales showrooms, poor dealer support, reduced warranty (although in the UK only the manufacturers original 3 year warranty covers the 2 most significant regular failures, the used and extended warranty doesn't).

JLR are as you say, very much digging their own grave I think. All of the dealerships anywhere near my home are part of a couple of huge dealership chains (the 2 I am thinking of each have more than 114 and 140 dealerships of various brands) so it is all just numbers. The dealers are paid by JLR for fixing the numerous issues some people have so dealers are not bothered either.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

In the end we all drive cheap disposable Chinese cars. In 10-15yrs we wont be allowed
    to drive at all. Then the majority of cars will be driver less taxi's, running on 5G, and as
    a expert said on TV "drive millimeters apart" . It will be too dangerous to drive as a human,
    and they wont allow you too.

RR P400e hybrid Autobiography 2019 & MX-30 BEV
    D5 SD4 HSE 2018 Corris grey, Black roof/balckpack (SOLD), F-Type P300 Ultra Blue 2018 (SOLD)
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

On the risk of buying approved used - I don’t doubt that there are a number on the forecourts that are unfixed rejections.

For my own rejected car, I’m confident it was properly fixed. The rejection happened because they didn’t fix it the first time, not because they didn’t fix it the second time. Covid build delays meant that i tested the fix thoroughly!

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

On JLR digging their own grave - yeah, I think they have a real problem. The basics of decent manufacturing quality control are so way off that I wonder if anyone at JLR has ever picked up a book on TPS/lean. It’s a real shame when the product design is insanely good.

I mean, we still talk about misaligned tailgates and leaking windscreens four years into the model lifecycle. It’s incredible that they allow that to happen.

The Discovery is by far the best car I have owned, in countless ways. It’s also the car that’s convinced me that perhaps all I really want is a Toyota Highlander.

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Have to admit, in many way I love the Discovery, even as a July 2017 model. However, it is quite worrying as you say that faults such as leaking screens are still appearing on 2020 models.

The best car I owned I think was my XC60, rattly 5 cylinder diesel, used more fuel than the D5 does but always gave the impression of being solid and wouldn't let you down. I felt more than comfortable driving it to Spain and back towing 1800kg as it turned 100,000 miles, without a warranty.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

LR are no better or worse than other makes. It’s certainly not a premium brand to my way of thinking. Their prices however, have been creeping up vs. the dealership and product support, which in the majority of cases is 3rd world unlike their showrooms that are out of this world, but we are paying for in one form or another.

In the past I have complained to JLR about a main dealership, who we’re absolutely dreadful and we’re breaking the SOG Act re a new car.

JLR executives answer was to try and broker a round the table discussion to clear up ambiguities with this main dealer after I had to get a Solicitor onto them re a rejection.

Oh, that’s a brilliant idea, let’s have a group hug, say sorry and promise to forget everything. That sort of thing belongs in marriage guidance, not what is in essence a shop with shop assistants aka sales executives. What f***ing world do they live on?

I did buy another new LR from another dealership and it’s been fine, I must be hitting double figures of new LRs by now, but I won’t buy another.

What will I buy, dunno, a friend of mine purchased a new Volvo XC90 and he had problems. He works offshore, bit of a bear at 6’6” and more direct than me. No Solicitor for him, he just threatened in Anglo-Saxon adjectives to return the car by driving it through the car showroom window. They immediately resolved things. Sad we’ve got to do that sort of thing to get dealerships sit up and take notice, but that seems to be what passes as normal these days.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Unfortunately I agree, LR are not a premium manufacturer in anything other than price. If you want good service and value, its Kia, Hyundai, Skoda that provide that.

As a result of spending the sort of money we do (or have) I would expect the dealer and manufacturer to be running around us like they do in an expensive hotel. Whereas I can safely say they are inferior to anything I have experienced in the past from Seat, VW or Volvo. Indeed my one failure on the Volvo was an auto gearbox at 72,000 miles, 18 months out of warranty and probably because I hadn't had the fluid change at 36,000 miles as they recommend for vehicles that tow (which wasn't clearly in the service book). Volvo agreed within 2 days to supply me with a XC90 loan car and pay 75% of the replacement gearbox and labour. Not bad considering they could potentially have rejected on the basis of fluid change and it was 18 months out of warranty.

• 2B
    Netherlands 

In my 40 years experience ( about 80 cars, mostly 2/3 the same time), I realised
    it is not as much the make of the car, but the quality of the garage.

I found this in a small LR dealer, more then an hour drive from my home, beyond 3 other main LR dealers.

After ten years of problems with the D3, brilliantly solved by their mechanics, with very reasonable pricing for the labour, the owner got pushed out for a marble/glass palace. And the staff left as they also wanted a small company..

So now, the service goes down the tubes. I have an F-Type with 2yrs more warranty, and the D5 with 3yrs approved. But I don't know to which dealer I will go. Stay with this one, after they moved to the marble palace, 1,5 h away ? Or one of their other branches, 20 minutes away. Or another dealer : one about one hour east, one about 45mins west of where I live.

We have a perfectly fine BMW active tourer for shopping, and that is a perfect garage too..

Or will I be completely fed up, sell the expensive cars off, buy an old banger and go to the corner indy..

D5 SD4 HSE 2018 Corris grey, Black roof/balckpack (SOLD), F-Type P300 Ultra Blue 2018 (SOLD)
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Darras- I’m genuinely interested in how you can say that JLR are not better or worse than any other manufacturer.

I’m not saying they are definitively the worst, but I am saying that they are not in the league of the likes of Toyota (brilliant) and BMW (average to good) when it comes to designing in reliability and putting a car together. It baffles me that they are as useless as they are, but the experiences of hundreds of thousands of owners demonstrate it.

As for the dealers - yeah, they make or break any testing ownership experience. Mine were amazing in pre-sales and sales, better by far than anyone I’ve ever dealt with. Then supportive through rejection, ultimately striking a deal that made 12
    Months in my first Disco pretty much free. I’d recommend them to anyone.

• nigels888
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

just to add to this as I started it. I have had many landrovers over the years. all second hand some with a lot of miles on and some with a few miles. anyway I have had several that have run to over 100,000 miles and never given me any problems. the last one I got with 13500 miles on and ran to 80k without any major issues apart from standard recalls. this has been the first one to need the garage and need another car for a week. so overall not bad other makes have problems as well. perhaps I am lucky my normal dealer is good and my indi is brill. but what does make a big difference with the garage no matter who you use is the customer service. my normal dealer the service lad I deal with knows me and takes me seriously as he knows I read the forums and know things he hasn't realised and even thanks me for pointing them out. but if I get one of the other service people they don't realise that and it takes a while. my indi are friends so that makes a difference. they are good vehicles and and can be reliable but as with all makes you can get bad ones. overall I have not found another vehicle that can do the same as I ask from a landrover. that is pull loads easily. go off road and also cruise motorways with ease.
    and I supposedly get mine back tomorrow
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Equilibrium wrote:
    Darras- I’m genuinely interested in how you can say that JLR are not better or worse than any other manufacturer.

I’m not saying they are definitively the worst, but I am saying that they are not in the league of the likes of Toyota (brilliant) and BMW (average to good) when it comes to designing in reliability and putting a car together. It baffles me that they are as useless as they are, but the experiences of hundreds of thousands of owners demonstrate it.

As for the dealers - yeah, they make or break any testing ownership experience. Mine were amazing in pre-sales and sales, better by far than anyone I’ve ever dealt with. Then supportive through rejection, ultimately striking a deal that made 12
    Months in my first Disco pretty much free. I’d recommend them to anyone.

I can only say in my experience. SWMBO had a BMW from new and I had problems from arranging the servicing to being sent a video when it was in saying I needed new disc pads, which I didn’t. By the time I’d got to the garage, the service advisor corrected the video saying they still had 10k miles left in them.It thereafter went from bad to worse when after two years from new, their salesman tried to flog us a new BMW and when I told him we pay cash, not finance or lease, he told me we were mad. Yes, mad to be still talking to you! Whatever happened to the customer is always right or has the choice to decide how to pay for a car. Car was okay, it went, but quite a few cosmetic blemishes on a relatively new car.

Or the Audi dealership, who didn’t want to sell us a Q5, but did want to sell us a Q7 and the moment we told him we will decide what we want, took half an hour looking at his computer without a word said until we got up and walked out.

Oh, the list is endless,
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

Maybe those are salesmen in the UK, who work on commission ?

When I bought the BMW active tourer, then 18 months old at 55% of the new price,

with 24mnts guarantee, 2 yrs full maintenance and 2 years maps, later extended to 4yrs

since it had only one update every year, not 4 as advertised, but I never paid for it...

They traded in our Mito 1.4T 135hp then 7yrs old add a high value as it came from a

well known dealer.. We had excellent service, free 'end-of-guarantee-check' that

actually extended the guarantee with 3 months if they missed that issue !!

Then, they had an offer online to extend the maintenance for 3 yrs of up to 100.000 km

for € 240 .....

From me nothing but praise for BMW. But the problem is : I don't fit in the X3 or X5,

and the X7 is a bit to expensive for me... The 418 330 would have been a steal instead

of the F-Type at 65% of the purchase price of the F-Type, but I didn't check. Fell blindly

in love with the F-Type.. .. still are actually... Laughing

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

2B wrote:
    In my 40 years experience ( about 80 cars, mostly 2/3 the same time), I realised
    it is not as much the make of the car, but the quality of the garage.

I found this in a small LR dealer, more then an hour drive from my home, beyond 3 other main LR dealers.

After ten years of problems with the D3, brilliantly solved by their mechanics, with very reasonable pricing for the labour, the owner got pushed out for a marble/glass palace. And the staff left as they also wanted a small company..

So now, the service goes down the tubes. I have an F-Type with 2yrs more warranty, and the D5 with 3yrs approved. But I don't know to which dealer I will go. Stay with this one, after they moved to the marble palace, 1,5 h away ? Or one of their other branches, 20 minutes away. Or another dealer : one about one hour east, one about 45mins west of where I live.

We have a perfectly fine BMW active tourer for shopping, and that is a perfect garage too..

Or will I be completely fed up, sell the expensive cars off, buy an old banger and go to the corner indy..

Have to say, the "banger and the local indi" does have a certain appeal after the LR experience.

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

The boys Corsa is 9 years old. He’s had it 3 years. It cost me £2,700. I get it serviced yearly at roughly £130. In that time it’s had a couple of front suspension springs and a couple of O2 sensors replaced. That was about £350 total and that’s it. What’s not to like? If it craps out, it’s not the end of the world and he’s had good use of it.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

our "other car" is a 2012 Seat Ibiza 1.2 TSI.

Had it since it was 11 months old (it spent first period of its life as a Hertz daily rental, then VW used to have a deal where they bought them back and sold as approved used).

Its 9 years old, 74,000 miles, had 6 tyres, 1 set of brakes, a turbo actuator under warranty at 2 years old and a coil pack.

Worth ....£2500....servicing like your lads Corsa at local indi, £30 road tax, and when one of the keys was stolen in 2019 local Seat dealer was falling over themselves to order and code a new key, loan car without asking, car cleaned before it was picked up, and they hadn't seen the car since it was 2 years old so we weren't a regular customer.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum