Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

LR will be fine with independent servicing as long as you use genuine parts. The main reason I would with JLR servicing is if you have anything that the warranty wont cover ,and one of those is a biggy( no warranty will cover broken crank) in which case you rely on JLR goodwill .
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

For the sake of a few hundred quid, I would rather pay the extra and go for the LR warranty. Less running about getting quotes and paying out of my own pocket, for the repairs and the hassle of reclaiming of the insurer. LR warranty seems far less of a headache.

As much as I like saving the pennies I have seen sense and gone down the LR route. Never had an extended warranty ever until last year.

(Thankfully my Subarus have had bombproof engines, even after remapping, and still running it a year out of warranty from new, with no issues whatsoever. My last one I ran 2 years out of warranty with no issues).

End of the day you get what you pay for imo. LR can do all the running about as that's what I have paid them for. Better things to do with my time. I just wish LR was as reliable as the Japanese manufacturers.

When was the last time you heard of a LandCruiser with a snapped crankshaft?

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Washbay33
    United Kingdom 

Update

Thought I would tell you what I decided

After reading all your comments (thx) and realising their were a lot of probs with early models I decided not to go ahead with the purchase.

I thought that would be that. But I placed a £99 reservation fee to hold the car for 48hrs. The fee is refundable according to their website. That was almost a month ago. Noticed on ccard they haven’t refunded it.

So I phoned twice and was told they would look into it and call me back, but they didn’t. They didn’t reply to 3 emails either.

I am now trying a chargeback via ccard.

I thought JLR would be a bit above petty Arthur Daley behaviour. Another reason not to get a LandRover.

Relieved I didn’t go ahead.
  • Whippetman
    England 

UNBELIEVABLE!

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Nothing surprises me anymore about LandRover dealers, apart from they apparently haven’t all gone bust by now. Maybe they needed your £99 as a loan. Rolling with laughter
  • BSE Disco
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 SE Loire Blue

In a lot of overseas markets JLR give a standard 5-year warranty. Why is the UK market not given this?
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

Re: Update

Washbay33 wrote:
    Thought I would tell you what I decided

After reading all your comments (thx) and realising their were a lot of probs with early models I decided not to go ahead with the purchase.

I thought that would be that. But I placed a £99 reservation fee to hold the car for 48hrs. The fee is refundable according to their website. That was almost a month ago. Noticed on ccard they haven’t refunded it.

So I phoned twice and was told they would look into it and call me back, but they didn’t. They didn’t reply to 3 emails either.

I am now trying a chargeback via ccard.

I thought JLR would be a bit above petty Arthur Daley behaviour. Another reason not to get a LandRover.

Relieved I didn’t go ahead.

Name and shame the dealer.

Discovery 5 D300 Metropolitan.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Whats the difference between the Extended and Selected please,??

Your Land Rover Warranty Quote

Land Rover Extended Warranty. Twelve months cover is available for £99.20 per month (payable in 10 monthly installments) or a one off payment of £992*

Land Rover Extended Warranty with Land Rover Assistance. Twelve months cover is available for £114.20 per month (payable in 10 monthly installments) or a one off payment of £1142*

Land Rover Select Extended Warranty. Twelve months cover is available for £78.50 per month (payable in 10 monthly installments) or a one off payment of £785*

Land Rover Select Extended Warranty with Land Rover Assistance. Twelve months cover is available for £93.50 per month (payable in 10 monthly installments) or a one off payment of £935*

Your Land Rover Warranty includes

- 12 months protection

- MOT Test Insurance

- Your choice of Land Rover retailers for repairs

- Warranty protection tailor made by Land Rover

If you would like to purchase the Land Rover warranty please call our team on 0161 505 0179

If you would like to read more information about this product, you can do so by clicking on the buttons below.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Ian_S
    United Kingdom 

The select warranty has a per claim limit of around £5000, and a maximum claim value per year of the value of the vehicle.

The 'full' warranty covers more parts and the per claim limit is the value of the vehicle.

So, for example, the full would probably cover engine replacement but the select would not. You would be relying on goodwill from LR in that scenario with the select warranty.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Thanks Ian_S Thumbs Up
    Just had a call back from LR - told me up to £3,500 per year on the select.
    Seems like i will do the same as last year and pay the £200 odd extra for peace of mind.

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

[/img]
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Ian_S wrote:
    The select warranty has a per claim limit of around £5000, and a maximum claim value per year of the value of the vehicle.

The 'full' warranty covers more parts and the per claim limit is the value of the vehicle.

So, for example, the full would probably cover engine replacement but the select would not. You would be relying on goodwill from LR in that scenario with the select warranty.

If the dreaded crank problem neither level of LR warranty will cover you . Will be goodwill at best if you qualify!
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

According to the bumph, the Select warranty limit is £3k. The higher cost Extended warranty is unlimited.

My car has done 29k miles. It’s in its 3/4th year from new.

The LR Extended warranty renewal with AA cover is £1,142, no excess obvs.

There one or two things the warranties don’t cover, but others do. Mind you, the car was purchased new from a main LR dealership and if I continue to get the car serviced at the main dealer and have their named warranty, I’d be surprised if they didn’t offer 100% goodwill if the car required a repair that the warranty didn’t cover. Nothing is foolproof that said.

The closest one is Warranty Direct. They have a good reputation. Their prices with the AA are,

No excess - £1,310.40
    £150 excess - £814,80
    £250 excess - £652.0

I did get a quote from them last year when the car was approaching 3 years old and they were about £480 at that time. It was tempting. Given the price hike this year, that was an introductory offer designed to pull you in. If I’d have gone for that, it would have been problematic to go to the LR named warranty after that, so WD shove the renewal prices up.

I was a hound for new cars, but post pandemic I can’t be bothered now tbh. There more important things in life, but also because I can’t get one within a reasonable timeframe. Secondly, the car has a low mileage and does everything I want. Thirdly, it’s a merry go round as a cash buyer, costing me £20k plus when for £1k I can get a warranty. It’s a no brainer.
  • drwhopilot
    United Kingdom 

I had a WD policy a few years back.

I recall claiming being a bit of a faf, but my stand-out recollection was them charging two lots of excess when a suspension component failed at the same time both near-side and off-side!!!

On top of that, as the car got older the warranty cost went up and the coverage went down

I guess you get what you pay for. When the time comes I will use LR.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Me too.

That said I did insure the boys Vauxhall with WD. Cost is £14 per month including AA, no excess.

An O2 sensor went, got it into the main dealership, nearly £300 later it was fixed, he had to pay upfront, but apart from having to wait a month to get the money back, it was a good experience.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum