Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• ashields
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

RSE link

The online manual shows an option to link the two rear screens to the same source

http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/documen...c/G1920834

On mine this button is missing, and the adjacent button to lock the remote control is larger.

I'm guessing the image from the manual is for left hand drive as the cabin audio source is on the opposite side but I wouldn't have thought the link functionality would be market specific.

What do other people see?
  • ashields
    United Kingdom 

Seems to affect all vehicles

I think this affects all vehicles.

Had it booked in to the dealer this morning and it took some time to even explain the issue. Once it was understood they tried it on the showroom car and it's the same.

They are going to raise it with LR so hopefully there will be a fix in a few months time.

Not sure how something so obvious could slip through testing - you only have to look at the screen and confirm that everything is there. My guess is that somebody senior in the software development dept saw the button and didn't understand why it was necessary and asked for it be removed.
  • Mac
    United Kingdom 

Hi there, Yes I noticed the same. It would be helpful if they could fix it as it does take some time each time car is started to set up RSE. Also we have two further issues, the first is it is not recognising dvds, stating they need cleaning (even when they don't) but when you restart car the same dvd works fine. The second issue is when the DVD is working it doesn't remember which track it was on when car re-started meaning we have to go through the lengthy process to get through DVD menu and then fast forward. Have you noticed any of these problems?
  • ashields
    United Kingdom 

Yes I have to start the DVD from scratch each time.

Initially I went through a few DVD's that it didn't seem to recognise until it occurred to me that the procedure for starting it from the front is unintuitive - you have to let it play through a couple of intro tracks before you finally get an ok button on the third track that starts the main programme - if you try fiddling with it before then it just stops and you can't start it again. So I'm not sure whether the Discs I rejected may be ok with the appropriate "touch"

The other day it stopped recognising any content on my USB flash drive, I had to unplug it and put it in the other socket (the tech at the dealer had the same issue this morning on the showroom car, told him to try the other socket and it worked).

I think content from the media library or a flash drive plays from where it's left off but I'm not certain. I'll pay more attention next time. You still have to re select it each journey though and for each screen - hopefully that will improve when they fix the link.

The only reason I have a DVD in the car is because of the missing link function as I don't want the wear and tear on the headphones for short journeys.
  • ashields
    United Kingdom 

Heard from LR

The dealer heard from LR today.

They say RSE is working as designed, the issue is with the manual!

It was clearly realised at some point that this functionality is desirable - it was either in early software or design mock ups in order to make it into the manual.

Somebody then decided either:

a) they couldn't be bothered to implement it,
    b) we don't deserve it

So the £2000 factory fit entertainment system can't play the same content from flash memory on two screens simultaneously - something that a £200 diy kit off of ebay can manage easily.
  • SiliconFed
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Silicon Silver

When using the rear screens with DVD or HDMI I go into each screen, the left and then right and can select the same source for both screens. Be that DVD or HDMI 1 or 2 with the iphone plugged in.
    There isn't the sync button I had in the RR so takes a couple of more steps but get both screens showing the same input.
  • ashields
    United Kingdom 

The link functionality isn't necessary for a DVD or HDMI source as they both by nature provide a single stream, the second screen just gets a copy of the data that's already being sent to the first screen.

However when playing files from the internal hard disk or a USB attached drive each screen will play independently and are impossible to synchronise without this functionality.
  • SiliconFed
    United Kingdom 

That's not good
  • stuart_f
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

Very poor.

The wife and I have just been to the Land Rover Experience day at Luton and taken the D5 out for a good thrash off-road. You can't fault the mechanicals at all but the software on the car seems like a total bag of nails Sad
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Why
    Not had any issues with mine and miles better than D4

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • stuart_f
    United Kingdom 

You've never had any of?

"feature not available" when selecting something on the screen
    The 4x4 info screen freezing
    Air con forgetting its settings when you go to auto and back to manual
    Reversing camera failing to draw the predicted path lines over the video image
    Tow bar failing to deploy
  • forever
    United Kingdom 

Tbh, i have not had any of those on mine.. worst thing was having to remove and plug back in the usb drive...
  • stuart_f
    United Kingdom 

Reinforces my view that mine is a Friday car. Worse still, it's an early Friday car and JLR don't seem to know how to fix it and rather than working with me, they want to ignore it and hope it goes away - Newsflash: It won't.

I reached out to them on Twitter to see if I could get a response to all of my problems. They asked for my VIN and email to look into my problems. I DM'd those 4 days ago and still haven't heard back. Evil or Very Mad
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

There customers services are a nightmare. No call backs as promised. Tell you what you already know, plus bypass the issue. Just waffle nonsense which is totally unrelated too your problem. Must be reading from the same book of LR pre-prepared excuses, parrot fashion Sad
    I know how you feel mate, getting treated like Dog Censored
  • ashields
    United Kingdom 

I don't know what the D4 is like, I can compare it to the D3 I traded in and the BMW's I've had recently.
    Compared to my 2004 D3 the electronics are way ahead, as you would expect.
    But I would they are at least 5 years behind BMW,

The HUD is better in some ways (but not all) than the one on the 2004 onward BMW 5 Series, but not a patch on the one in my 2014 six series (that version launched in 2012)

The touch screen is ok except when you are on the move. Took me about 5 minutes to find a particular DAB station this morning - and you can't use the steering wheel buttons - they just switch back to FM!
    Once I'd finally got my station I thought I'd try to save it - couldn't figure out how to do it, it should be obvious. On any other modern car you get a list of the station names either on the information display or the HUD and you can navigate this list without taking your hand off of the wheel or your eyes off the road.

It's way too easy to accidentally leave the screen you are on, losing entered data, even when parked.

I've had the various camera or sat nav not available messages a few times. The sat nav one you can sort of understand (although not with technology from this decade) but for the camera there is no excuse.

I always assumed that car manufacturers spent time looking at competitors vehicles. Clearly as far as the electronics and software is concerned LR haven't.

It would be nice to think that as the majority of the issues various people are reporting are software related they will be fixed as they get feedback from users. However they aren't actively inviting feedback from users and judging from the response I got earlier this week they don't welcome it.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum