Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• 33Lurcher
    United Kingdom 

Web Browser

In my DS which went 2 weeks ago I was able to use the Web Browser via the touch screen , had a look at the screen in our new D5 this morning and I couldn't fathom out it is available or not .
    The DS screen showed the connectivity signal next to the phone signal and what how many MBites were used each month .
    Cant see anything like that in Pivi Pro .

Anyone with any knowledge ?

TIA

2021 D250 S Eiger Grey HSW Privacy Hi/Low Ratio
  • 33Lurcher
    United Kingdom 

Been doing a bit of research and looking on the new Defender forum which uses Pivi Pro , no mention of Web Browser in the supplied Online Data Pack .
    It provides Spotify/Deezer/Tunein and weather app as far as I can see .

• DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

to be honest, it was a PITA to use the web browser in the D5 on ICTP. Couldn't imagine a scenario where I would need to use one.

Android Auto / Apple Car Play are standard on the Defender...and were given to me for free on my D5.
  • 33Lurcher
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for reply , have you downloaded any car play apps that can be used alongside the ones already installed (on my iPhone} that are useful ?

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

There’s sod all apps that are useful tbh. I’ve downloaded them, used them once or twice for novelty, then deleted hem. They really are crap.
  • 33Lurcher
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for reply , not much to get exited about then Laughing

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

Very poor quality tbh. Can’t even get excited over the crappy Satnav app. It’s total 1980’s retro.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

CarPlay apps for me:

Waze - incredible navigation app if you actually want to get somewhere, particularly across busy cities with fluctuating traffic hot spots.

Deezer - with a hifi subscription to get the best out of the meridian surround sound.

Google maps - if you want pretty nav views or satellite views on the screen and decent enough navigation.

Siri, of course, so you don’t have to fiddle around with the screen much. Ask and she will do (currently in a South African accent for me Very Happy )

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Darras, it would be great to have a Darras voice over option for Siri, to give a more worldly wise, some might even say cynical, view.

“Siri, play song xyz”
    Siri: “you don’t want that, it’s crap, here’s some morrissey”

“Siri, navigate to waitrose”
    Siri: “overpriced rubbish, setting destination to Aldi”

Sorry mate, just kidding 👍

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • 33Lurcher
    United Kingdom 

Just as a matter of interest ( new car play user ) , when I download a car play app such as Waze how do I add it to the list of apps that are already shown in settings of my iPhone ?

Thanks

Last edited by 33Lurcher on 23rd Mar 2021 1:54 pm. Edited 1 time in total

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

Equilibrium wrote:
    Darras, it would be great to have a Darras voice over option for Siri, to give a more worldly wise, some might even say cynical, view.

“Siri, play song xyz”
    Siri: “you don’t want that, it’s crap, here’s some morrissey”

“Siri, navigate to waitrose”
    Siri: “overpriced rubbish, setting destination to Aldi”

Sorry mate, just kidding 👍

No, fair point, apart from I prefer quietness to music or talk to whoever is in the car and I don’t do Aldi, I draw the line there, besides which I get 10% discount occupational discount from Morrison’s ATM, so use them. Thumbs Up

PS I did update the maps the other day, don’t know why as nothing appears to change, but it saves the Censored reminder popping up on screen.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

I’m too scared to update INcontrol as a) I use nothing apart from CarPlay and 360 cameras and b) nothing broken right now.

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

33lurcher, I don’t quite understand the question. Are you downloading waze on the phone (which is right) or in the car.

I had waze on my phone already and it’s always just appeared in the list of apps in CarPlay. CarPlay just throws up a list of all of your phone apps that are compatible with CarPlay and granted permission in iOS. At least iirc. It’s all been totally seamless for me, across any Disco I’ve jumped into.

• 33Lurcher
    United Kingdom 

I downloaded it to the phone , when I open car play on phone its not shown with the other apps .

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

I’m probably being exceptionally dense, but how do you open CarPlay on the phone itself?

I have a CarPlay settings section but that’s about it.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum