Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

My Defender MHEV review

Originally I posted this on a BMW forum, so a couple of references to that brand.

My Discovery was booked in for deployable steps to be fitted last Wednesday. Loaners are always Disco Sports, it appears, but the Sales Manager kindly agreed to lend a Defender to me from the sales fleet. Something of a bonus was that the workshop was busy and I ended up keeping the Defender for two full days. (There is a contrast here with the local BMW dealer, where I twice had M3 loaners booked that ended up being 118d and 218d respectively, and a 24 hour X5 test drive that morphed into a X3. Land Rover, at least my local, are in a completely different league that feels like a premium service).

Summary thoughts ... the Defender is an outstanding car. I'm certain that it will be one of the hottest sellers in the range. Every part of it feels like it works with the next one, a completely resolved design inside and out. And different to anthing else I have ever sat in.

The motor This was a MY21, complete with a MHEV diesel inline six. The installation of the engine is far better insulated and the mechanical refinement is excellent. And the power is perfectly adequate and well delivered. I suspect D200 or 250, not 300 as didn't feel as punchy as my V6

The drive Another revelation. I'd expected something slightly worse than a D5, as this would be even more tuned for off road. Not so. This steers with typical JLR sweetness and accuracy, they always know how to tune a steering 'rack'. The more I drove it, the more I realised it was better than the D5. Corners flatter, perhaps a lower CoG. Sits very solidly on the road. And the ride is sublime, again better than my D5. On a very similar platform, quite surprising. The four cylinder may play a part in a pointier nose versus a V6. Also at play were 20" wheels (my car has 21s, although 22s are possible). Bigger sidewalls for better ride and less unsprung weight. Got me thinking about 20s for mine....

Interior You've all seen pictures of the interior. Radically different to the normal large LR - where top of the range D5s, RRS and FFRR share very similar architectures, materials and style. This is not luxury, but it is a nice place to be, really solid and full of interesting detail. I'm guessing this was a lower/mid-spec model as no wood to be seen or any other highlight materials. One big drawback versus the D5/others, the doors are styled to be Defender items and thus have thin tops. I love the leather wrapped shelf that the D5 doortop is, a fantastic armrest. Would be a big miss on a long haul. Also no captains chairs, so no folding armrests on the front seats.

Tech Another flawed assumption on my part, that Pivi Pro was a worked over ICTP and would be alright but nothing special. Huge step forward, completely up there with iDrive for speed, responsivenes and features. As usual, the Meridian stereo, not the surround one, was excellent.

Space/practicality This and luxury are the two areas that put to bed the idea that the Discovery and Defender eat each other's breakfasts. The rear bench is fine and spacious, but not as cossetting as the electric D5 tilt/slide rear seat. This car didnt have 7 seats, but if it did they would be tiny. Far more X5 (or indeed RRS) for interior room than X7, the Disco being the other way around. The Defender is a much shorter car, so not surprising, and interior height feels markedly less. Defender boot seems smaller, but much lower to load, not having to accomodate a full size spare underneath with a good departure angle and overhang.

That's enough rambling. You can probably tell that I would happily have one. Easy to swap luxury for utiliatarian interest, refinement great in both cars. 7 seats, luxury and space the Disco wins. Drive, styling and interest the Defender wins.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Pics

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Don’t know how to edit my OP. But they told me it was a 4 cylinder. Only later did I realise it was a 6. Hence erroneous 4 cylinder reference in text. I thought it was astonishingly refined for a 4, for a while!!

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

very interesting to see your view. I had the privilege of a 2020 Defender 110 back in November for 3 days as a loaner.

I put the registration into google and found the dealer had it for sale, so knew exactly what it was. Mine was a D200 4 cylinder S trim with a couple of extras. Save for the nasty engine note I was amazed at the car.

As you say, not luxurious, not intended to be. Well equipped with goodies, Pivi streets ahead of our old D5s. Handling far more nimble and less wallowy, less roll etc than D5 made it feel considerably smaller on the road.

I use seats 6 and 7 probably 3 or 4 times a year and don't really need them. I could comfortably swap to a 2021 Defender with the 6 cylinder in it.....in many ways a much nicer vehicle that does what it says on the tin.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Interesting to hear your view too. Looks like we found the same. Being conscious that my adaptive D5 was better than the non-adaptive cars, I really was astonished by how far ahead the Defender was in road handling.

The thing with the Defender for me was what a well resolved design it is. It’s obvious that so much thought has gone into every inch living up to their concept of what a Defender should be. Where I was determined to have every spec box ticked on a Disco, the Defender felt like such trivialities were irrelevant.

It turned out to be a £62k-ish SE X-dynamic. I would probably throw HUD, large screen pivi and Meridian Surround at it and be done.

Shame the wife is very keen on 7 seats to help bring along relatives that I would perhaps be less fussed about bringing.

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Have to admit, when I spec'd both D5 and Defender, they were within £100 of each other with the extras I wanted...would be a tough choice I have to say (never driven a D5 with active dynamics which I know they all have now)

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Sorry, but it still looks like a 'modded' D4.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

I drove a D300 SE Defender this week, what a car. Brought back memories of first time driving a D4. As nice a car as the D5 is to drive, I won't be getting another one for sure. Price wise there wasn't much in it between what I paid for my D5 SE and a Defender SE spec.

I've mentioned before I find the steering wheel in the D5 to thin, steering itself too light. In the Defender this was pretty much how it felt in the D4. Feels much more solid on the road too compared to the D5.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Farmerben
    United Kingdom 

I was pretty dismissive of them initially until my Defender was being serviced and they gave me one as a courtesy car. Like Mordred, the 2litre engine was underwhelming but the ride was pretty exceptional. And huge compared with the cramped cab of my truck. Felt like a Hobbit driving it.
    Will definitely be looking to get a commercial for work in the next few months so my Puma can retire and get the soft top conversion it’s always wanted.
  • Roli
    Switzerland 

Honestly, cannot imagine that the drive would be that much better if you compare it with a MY2021 D5 D300 MHEV. They should be quite similar,
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

have to admit, when replacing current D5, will be interesting to test drive a new D5 D300 and a Defender D300 back to back...

• Labbix

I’m very curious about the 130. As for me the boot of the 110 is way too short (20 cm shorter then my D5 if I remember well) and a bit narrower so less practical.

D4 was by far the most practical, but if the 130 is out, it might be the better replacement than the more luxurious D5.
  • Roli
    Switzerland 

The 20cm shorter plus narrower boot made me to order a D300 D5.
    And the Disco is what it is whereas the Defender to me is a bit more like a wannabe or pretender.
    Would I be 20 years younger I might have got me a Defender but you learn a thing or two over the years.
  • dgardel
    Italy 

Roli wrote:
    The 20cm shorter plus narrower boot made me to order a D300 D5.
    And the Disco is what it is whereas the Defender to me is a bit more like a wannabe or pretender.
    Would I be 20 years younger I might have got me a Defender but you learn a thing or two over the years.

Thumbs Up
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

I love the look of the Defender. However I had one for 2 days when my D5 went in for service, this was earlier in the year when we had snow.
    First impressions was that the Defender wasn't as well poised in the snow. Junction out of my road is a normal T junction and my D5 pulls out there with no issues even in snow and even when you want to get out quickly. Defender did the same but each time it felt like the arse end was starting to break free to the point I was very steady pulling out of there.
    outside I love the look, inside I feel the Defender is poor on a number of fronts, Finish felt poor compared to the Discovery. inside materials and overall finish felt a lot lower spec despite it being the same spec as my D5. Boot was very small in comparison to my D5 and the centre consul I thought was a complete waste of space that could of been used far far better.
    Pivi Pro was good but I also found it to be a little slower than expected after all the comments.
    Over all a nice vehicle but for the money the inside space and quality was very very poor. for me I would say the Defender is at least 10K over priced in comparison with Discovery or may be even more.

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum