Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Gareth
    United Kingdom 

It’s the automatic stabiliser. My Elddis does the same. Bumpy roads usually cause it. It senses movement between the caravan and car, and applies the caravan brakes briefly to help stabiise a snake.
  • Sodbury D5
    United Kingdom 

Hi Gareth,
    Thanks for this - has this been resolved on your Elddis ? And when you say automatic stabiliser do you mean it’s the AlKO stabiliser causing the ALKO ATC to brake the van? Sorry if stupid question am new to caravan and don’t quite understand all the additions or terms!
    James
  • Gareth
    United Kingdom 

Mine only does it on bumpy roads. On a normal smooth road ( a rare event these days) it does not cut in. Occasionally I hit a pothole and will feel the caravan retarding the car for a couple of seconds.

I towed the caravan out to Islay a couple of years ago, and on the bumpy roads of Arran and Islay, it was cutting in all the time, the caravan brakes were quite hot.

Mine is a BPW chassis with IDC stability, but I think the principle is the same.

To be honest, it’s never really bothered me, I thought it was normal behaviour.,
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

As Gareth says this also happens to my Swift with Alko stabiliser, but only on rough roads.

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

Craigp wrote:
    There has been two reports on another D5 forum of the electric deployable tow bar snapping off. Quite worrying to say the least.

That has been reported on this forum as well from memory

Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Sodbury D5
    United Kingdom 

Thanks Gareth/Russell,

Mine is happening on vaguely bumpy roads - basically any small undulation sets it off, even on the motorway.

Will call the van shop tomorrow.

James
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

How old is the van, has it been properley serviced

• Sodbury D5
    United Kingdom 

Brand new Russell and only a month old now, this was first time towing.

Seems like the ATC needs adjusting.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

Yes try towing with another vehicle and then take back and get them to re-adjust

• Craigp
    England 

Ive had both chassis so IDC & ATC and cant recall it coming into operation at all whilst driving normally. So unless you have a loose tow bracket but i think that was a problem with the electrically deployable tow bars. Then a return to your caravan dealer is on the cards.
  • Sodbury D5
    United Kingdom 

Tried with Defender 110 and exactly the same, so booked in to caravan dealer where bought it for next week.

Glad doesn’t seem to be an issue with Disco!
  • piggy36
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Namib Orange

Hi all, what tow bar are you towing with? We had the D4 previously and as stated it towed like a dream but we had a fixed tow bar. We previously towed with a D3 and the swan neck detachable tow bar which wasn't as sturdy or stable. When we purchased the D5 recently we asked for the fixed tow bar for stability however we have found that the D5 is lighter than the D4 and does have more movement while towing., but still a great tow car.
  • RB
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Hi chaps, towed with the d5 for the first time yesterday and was scarred sh!t!ess, really really unhappy and disappointed.

I have the deployable towbar and tow a twin axle INOS (bpw chassis), towed fine with a v6 amarok (you could feel the van push you around but never felt out of control at speed up to about 70) but the disco snakes like a pig at anything over 55 with the slightest of steering inputs!

Checking the winterhoff manual it says any paint on the towball must be cleaned off before use, I did not know that and disappointed it was not done by JLR/dealer as this is a safety issue! So off to do that and inflate the tyres as stated in earlier posts

Also just to throw this out could these problems be at least partially due air suspension lowering at certain speeds to improve efficiency (cannot remember or find what speed though) and changing the dynamics???

☹️☹️☹️

MY18 Corris Grey HSE Lux TDV6
  • Dpetchey
    United Kingdom 

We tow a nearly 2 ton twin axle with our 3l HSE using the detachable tow bar and the alko hitch. No problems at all- equally as good as the D4 was. Hope you get it sorted.
  • rogersmj
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Wow, that sounds strange!

I have an identical model and year to yours RB, and use the deployable tow bar many times to tow a horse trailer with 2, 17h horses.

Each horse weights around 1000kg, so we are looking at over 3000kg (3 tonnes). I've never had any kind of experience you are describing, so theres got to be something wrong here. On the other side of the spectrum, I also tow a small, single axle trailer, once again no problems.

I must admit when I had my D4, the towing seemed somewhat better, but I certainly have no issues with the D5 towing.

MY18 Corris Grey HSE Lux TDV6
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum