Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• jimbg
    United Kingdom 

No idea? There are 2 options, light load and heavy load
  • B16 KJR
    Scotland 

What part of the settings menu do you input that information to?
  • Craigp
    England 

Yes TPM . So it knows if the tyre pressure has dropped any from the high set pressure (heavy) or the low set pressure. Forget the actual figures.
  • B16 KJR
    Scotland 

Thumbs Up
  • Craigp
    England 

Steering wheel menu button. Or it is on the 4. I believe it only appears when stopped ie parked.
  • Seaby
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

I have tow bar fitted, but mainly for bike rack Embarassed but will be towing horse trailer so will report back...

And now I have the D5, I have an excellent D3 (great tow car) for sale, that's probably going to increase in value if the D5 is a lemon at towing... Very Happy
  • stuart_f
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

I'd love to give you some feedback. I have a Coachman 470/2 but when I went to hitch it today the car decided it didn't have a towbar fitted and stubbornly refused to deploy it!

I'm back to the dealers (again!) tomorrow morning and if that fixes it I'll post a tow report.

You have me worried. I was already nervous about going for the 2.0 but now I also have to be concerned about stability Sad
  • stuart_f
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

Sorry. No review from me. My car is deader than a Dodo and not even the dealer can seem to revive it.
  • B16 KJR
    Scotland 

With any brand new car design, there are always going to be some teething troubles (the D3 had lots of them) hopefully the issues will be addressed quickly and you will be back on the road soon Thumbs Up
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

Just back from our jaunt. I checked and re-checked the tyre pressures before the return journey. I also removed the fuse that according to the hand book was the feed for the ATC (pin 9 on the socket) but as we hitched up, the ATC still kicked in so I don't believe I managed to disable it.

Anyway, all seemed to be reasonably OK for the first few miles although Mrs PDES said that she could still feel some swaying. I, however, though that the problem had improved - until we were going downhill on the motorway and the swaying started. It got to a point where some automatic braking kicked in. I have to say, we nearly cacked ourselves. To have the swaying and then uncontrolled braking on a motorway is no fun!!

So we came home at no more than 55mph and all was well.

I had mailed my dealer on Friday with the details and asked him urgently to raise this up the line to whomsoever was appropriate and have chased this with him today, emphasizing in no uncertain terms just how serious this could be. I have also mailed Alko to try and get a dialogue going with someone in the know but Alko sees to be one of these companies that says "speak to the service rep". We all know what that means.

Anyway, just thought you would like an update. I think we need to keep this thread going until others have ventured out with their vans and can report back.

D5 HSE SDi6, 2019, Santorini Black, privacy glass, HUD, loads of gizmos!! 😃😃😃
    Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Process of elimination.

Glad you got back home safely mate. Yes I totally agree the consequences could have been a whole lot worse Sad

Just a query, is it possible this could maybe be down too the type of towbar being used?

That is, have people gone for the electronically deployable tow ball, the detachable, or fixed-height adjustable one. Would be good too know what tow bars are being used. I know from previous years that the detachable had issues for failing and wear and tear and detaching totally from the tow bar as well as the electronically deployable one having issues also. I have always went for the fixed one as seems a far safer bet. Never had any problems. What's the point of aesthetic looks when in fact the product could seriously injure or kill someone?????? Sad

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 27th Mar 2017 8:26 pm. Edited 2 times in total
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

This is a little worrying as I toe a Swift elegance 645 which is similar to yours and with the D4 it towed really well. However I did have to keep the nose weight up at around 100 otherwise it was a little twitchy.
    What nose weight are you running. Are you running with the on board water tank full or empty, and what tyre pressures are you running in the rears

There was a post ofn D3 forum a while back that said there was a delay in production due to towing issues, will see if I can find it

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Craigp
    England 

Glad to hear you got back safely. So it seems you have to travel just marginally below the max speed limit for towing Laughing
    Did you have any joy with the camping or caravaning club? I wouldn't think it will be long before they carry out their tests. If not already on with it. Looking to take mine out in just over a fortnight. We are going to Scotland about a 250 the 300 mile trip. And this will be the first time out. That's if I get my car.
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 

Re: Process of elimination.

Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    Glad you got back home safely mate. Yes I totally agree the consequences could have been a whole lot worse Sad

Just a query, is it possible this could maybe be down too the type of towbar being used?

That is, have people gone for the electronically deployable tow ball, the detachable, or fixed-height adjustable one. Would be good too know what tow bars are being used. I know from previous years that the detachable had issues for failing and wear and tear and detaching totally from the tow bar as well as the electronically deployable one having issues also. I have always went for the fixed one as seems a far safer bet. Never had any problems. What's the point of aesthetic looks when in fact the product could seriously injure or kill someone. Sad

I have the manual detachable tow ball. I ordered the auto one just as they ran out but didn't want to wait until May!

Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 

Russell wrote:
    This is a little worrying as I toe a Swift elegance 645 which is similar to yours and with the D4 it towed really well. However I did have to keep the nose weight up at around 100 otherwise it was a little twitchy.
    What nose weight are you running. Are you running with the on board water tank full or empty, and what tyre pressures are you running in the rears

There was a post ofn D3 forum a while back that said there was a delay in production due to towing issues, will see if I can find it

Not sure what the nose weight is but it can't be heavy as we left the awning at home (and it's twin axle)! One thing not to lose sight of is that this van towed perfectly with the D4.

Rears are 50psi. I ran them lower but didn't make any difference

Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum