Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• DiscOlly
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

Can you fit roof bars without roof rails

Hi, sorry if this is covered elsewhere - I’ve search and drawn a blank.

My D5 doesn’t have roof rails and I wanted to fit a pair of old Thule Aerobars, but can’t find a fitting kit that will allow attachment to the roof without rails. Has anyone managed to fit bars without rails? I don’t want the monster roof rack system (versatile?) as I have bike carriers and roof box that fits with the aerobars...just don’t seem to be able to fit them to the car Surprised(

Olly
  • joness7
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 SE Santorini Black

No, you will need the roof rails.

The fittings are different to the old D3/D4 in that the Thule foot clamps around the rail rather than a T track system.

The rails are a fairly simple self fit job.

2019 D5 SdV6 SE Anniversary black/black
  • DiscOlly
    United Kingdom 

Thanks Joness7,

I was thinking that was going to be the answer Surprised(

For such a capable car, I’m surprised by the 60kg limit on the roof rack - I was thinking this limit was because it’s balanced on the rails, so was hoping I’d misunderstood. Might need to look a lighter bikes moving fwd too then - doh!!! (Tow bar mounted bike carrier not an option when towing a caravan).
  • joness7
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 SE Santorini Black

Bikes on the roof are difficult. It was easier with the D3/D4 where you could lower the bottom part of the tailgate and get a helper to stand on it.

There are some options for a rear bike rack AND still tow, www.pbr.co.uk for example. I have their tow ball mounted rack, and it works fine.

2019 D5 SdV6 SE Anniversary black/black
  • DiscOlly
    United Kingdom 

I was hoping that fitted on the tow-ball that’s there and then adds another, but I think this would fit on the tow bar (not ball)...maybe I should patent this idea quickly Surprised)

I already have the electrically deployable tow ball, so I think adding this would be a very costly retrofit. I am wondering if I can make something to fit on the A-frame of the caravan - I think there’s head room on weight there...will need to check.

Thanks for the thought - much appreciated.
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

You need to be careful mounting anything between car and caravan especially when maneuvering, UK built caravans tend to have comparatively short A frames in comparison with German and I think Adria also bear in mind, although the electrically deployable towbar on Disco is rated to 350Kg, the A frame on Alko chassis are only rated to 100kg although the hitch itself is likely to be stamped 150Kg,

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • DiscOlly
    United Kingdom 

Thank you Trevorb1 - I’ll look into the Alko hitch limit - from memory, it was more than my Honda could take, which was 100kg, so I always pushed it to 90-95kg. I’ve not towed with the Disco yet, but my intention was to increase the nose wheels weight some more...will have a dig through the manuals!!!! Thanks for the advice.

First time joining this forum - I’m already glad I asked the initial question.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

Alko hitch limit is 100kg, and the electrically deployed towball has an odd shape to it, so even some of the clamp around bike racks don’t fit ( I have looked at this for our bikes whilst towing the ‘van.)

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • GEOBLRDISCO4_SOFAR
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Corris Grey

Bike bags

DiscOlly. i bought some padded bike bags, the ones designed for putting bikes on flights, tied down at the front of the caravan inside, gets round the problem
  • DiscOlly
    United Kingdom 

Thanks GEOBLRDISCO4_SOFAR, I’ve not seen these before - just had a look on Amazon and can see what you mean. I’ve set 2 cycle carriers up in the middle of the caravan before (fixed to a couple of bits of wood) but when they have been used on hols they get a bit dirty...and I’ve managed to wipe the gears on the sofa before when putting them in Surprised(
    These bags look like just the job!! Thanks for the tip.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum