Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• mwsedgwick

Leak in 2021 D5

Was greeted to a leak inside our 4 week old 2021 D5 this morning!!!

Leak seems to be coming through the unit above the rear view mirror. Through the plastic unit leaking down onto gear stick and v close to the pick pro system.

Not happy.

It's odd because yes it's rained a lot over the last 24 hours but the car has been washed a few times with jet wash etc and it's rain since we've had it.

Have called the dealership who will arrange for it to go back in on Monday. LR assist coming to have a look tomorrow morning.

Anyone else had this problem.

Hoping it's a loose seal but not ideal being so close to the electrics
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

I believe @farmerben has had the same problem on his MY21 D5. I am starting to worry about when I get my MY 21 don't want to have the hassle. Shocked

Discovery 5 D300 Metropolitan.
  • NCTT
    United Kingdom 

I had a friend who had a leak where the electric sunroof controls are in a 2020
    It was the robot in the factory forgot to add sealant
    There was a batch of cars that had to be recalled
    His was one , if it’s the same they will have a record of it and easily rectified
    Good luck 👍
  • Whippetman
    England 

MY 2017 HSE LUX filled with water to footwell today.
    Extended LR warranty cover EVENTUALLY managed to get car recovered to MD via Assist/AA but really a struggle.
    Can’t believe it .
    Going for good in August
    Good luck all!
    Will update later🧐🧐🧐

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

How did you struggle please? It’s just I am debating a warranty and if LR aren’t up to much or sticking their heels in, then I can discount them and take my chances with someone else.
  • Whippetman
    England 

You have a pm👍

• Farmerben
    United Kingdom 

Re: Leak in 2021 D5

mwsedgwick wrote:
    Was greeted to a leak inside our 4 week old 2021 D5 this morning!!!

Leak seems to be coming through the unit above the rear view mirror. Through the plastic unit leaking down onto gear stick and v close to the pick pro system.

Not happy.

It's odd because yes it's rained a lot over the last 24 hours but the car has been washed a few times with jet wash etc and it's rain since we've had it.

Have called the dealership who will arrange for it to go back in on Monday. LR assist coming to have a look tomorrow morning.

Anyone else had this problem.

Hoping it's a loose seal but not ideal being so close to the electrics

Good luck getting it sorted.
    Will be interesting to see if any others develop the same problem.
  • teaman
    United Kingdom 

Similar to me, I thought it was the sunroof leaking at first. Turned out to be the windscreen. If you apply on/off pressure to the top of the windscreen on the outside you might be able to see the seal squelching and water ingress as a result.

My 2019 was done under warranty, it lasted about 4 weeks until a stone cracked it, then it was an insurance issue.

If your car is out of warranty and LR won’t help, make sure your screen doesn’t have a chip that has turned into a crack, as that would naturally be an insurance issue.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Whippetman, how did you get on? I was speaking to the LR warranty people and was told they’d not cover water coming in from what ever cause with their extended warranty.
  • Whippetman
    England 

Definitely not covered on the £1000 LR extended warranty.
    Awaiting goodwill offer from LR………
    Not happy at all.

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

It surprised me tbh. You pay £1k for what you hope is a comprehensive warranty. I hope they make a goodwill gesture. In the past they were accommodating, although when I had a gearbox problem on a D4 just 2 months out of manufacturers warranty, the supplying dealership had to tell JLR head office how I was a long-standing customer who’d always had the car serviced with them etc. Bit rich when you consider in other markets the warranty is longer. I am not sure how they treat goodwill claims now.

On another front, it would be interesting to ask Warranty Direct where they stand on such matters.
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

From warranty direct policy ‘What is Not covered’:

2. BODY AND TRIM
    Any of the following components; paint, body panels or bodywork and its components, chassis and sub-frames, body aperture seals, glass, interior and exterior trim or decorative components, upholstery and interior door panels, wheels including wheel balancing.

Further on:

CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGE Any claim or losses relating to:
    a) the failure of a covered component directly or indirectly caused by the failure of a component that is not covered under this policy;

So I read that that if my windscreen develops a leak and destroys the wiring loom, I am on my own.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

so the 2017-2020 windscreen leaks have been carried over as a standard feature to the 2021 model as well?

I agree, mine was not covered under the LR extended warranty, in the end JLR paid 80% dealer paid 20% to reseal it, then 4 weeks later got a huge stone chip and it was replaced by my insurance anyway.

I was lucky, it was a small leak, no consequential damage to anything else.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

These leaks seem quite astonishing on a new car from a new factory in 2021. Just seems such a basic thing to get wrong...

So far so good and dry on my 2019 Solihull one, fingers crossed it stays that way.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum