Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

For anyone thinking of selling....

Have you checked the value of your car lately?

The massive supply squeeze across 20/21 is having a major effect on values across all brands.

In Jan 2020 my five month old SD6 HSE-L booked at £47k. This is the one I rejected.

Two weeks ago, I ran my almost ten month old SD6 HSE-L through a couple of sites. WBAC returned £52k and evans halshaw £54k. This week WBAC emailed me offering £55k. Even allowing for them chipping the value for minor wheel/chip damage, this is pretty stonking.

New deals aren’t what they were, but if you were thinking of changing anyway it’s a good time to do the maths.

If they still did glacier interiors, I would seriously consider swapping mine for a facelift. But they don’t.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Also means, if your PCP is ending, don’t blindly hand it back, check what an independent dealer may pay you for it first.

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Wish there was an edit button on the mobile. That rejected car of mine went on the forecourt in August at £53k. That’s £2k less than the trade value of its replacement now. Pretty big difference, I’d imagine this one would now retail with a 6 at the beginning if they are willing to pay 55 for it.

• TechnoTurkey
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Lux Waitomo Grey

Very interesting, even We Buy Any Car value my Disco at £6k more than I owe on Finance which would give me a reasonable deposit for something new Confused
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

That’s got to be tempting....

I imagine that the equity in mine must be similar.

• BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

I guess the long waiting time for new D5s is helping keep values of second hand vehicles up.

Discovery 5 D300 Metropolitan.
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

TechnoTurkey wrote:
    Very interesting, even We Buy Any Car value my Disco at £6k more than I owe on Finance which would give me a reasonable deposit for something new Confused

If you put in minimal deposit and the depreciation has been in line with your monthly payment then that's great news, but if you put a huge chunk down at the start the £6k 'equity' will have to be factored into that before you can really base a true equity 'value'.

2021 D300 R-Dynamic HSE - Carpathian Grey.
  • teaman
    United Kingdom 

Indeed. Depreciation is a negative equity curve, whilst your PCP finance payments are linear. One can always generate a final settlement figure at anytime though if needed.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

WBAC now up to £57k for my car. Astonishing, and starting to feel like a gift horse.

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

Yes, but

1. It will fizzle out.
    2. You can’t get a new one anytime soon and there is little discount.

The only time you’d score is selling and NOT buying another.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Depending on brand, there are options available. Stock GLEs were available, for instance, discounted against new and with a £60k online offer against my D5. Similarly, Toyota were offering £60k online against a new Highlander with delivery next month.

A new Land Rover would require patience, but I haven’t actually gone down the road of enquiring.

As I may have mentioned earlier in the thread, my wife is very attached to this Disco. But if it was down to me I would swap it purely as a financial no brainer.

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

Wife’s are wonderful people. Mine too, she’s a snob. I personally don’t care, so long as I’ve got a good watch and a good pair of shoes, then the rest can be rags, I am happy. Thumbs Up
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Yes indeed, happy wife, happy life. That’s the theory.

With the vastly reduced mileage I do now, I reckon the Highlander (list 52k) would cost around £20k less over the next 4 years. Or about £1 a mile.

I’ve got one for the day in a few week’s time when our little Auris is in for a recall. So I will wave the Highlander under my wife’s nose. But not expecting a bite!

• BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

You could always offload your D5 now order a new one and just buy a hanger to run now until the new one arrives. That's basically what I have done. Your wife might not be to impressed. Big Cry

Discovery 5 D300 Metropolitan.
  • joness7
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 SE Santorini Black

Bought my D5 SDv6 SE Anniversary in July 2019 for £49k. Just sold it to WBAC (with v low mileage but curbed alloys) for £46.5k.

Cost me £2.5k for nearly 2 years D5 ownership, not too bad!!

2019 D5 SdV6 SE Anniversary black/black
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum