Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• drwhopilot
    United Kingdom 

btw - noting you are in sussex (as am I) - have you noticed the Lewes dealership has moved to Brighton
  • adds58
    United Kingdom 

Yes, that is actually my dealership. I haven't been in the Brighton branch yet but it looks impressive.

Link to a virtual tour in case anyone else is interested:

https://www.harwoods.uk.com/brightonjlr/
  • adds58
    United Kingdom 

Just learnt that my build has unfortunately been pushed back by a week and due to be completed by 18th June now and at the retailer for 9th July Sad
  • MAPMA
    England 

drwhopilot wrote:
    Thanks

Letter in post just now blaming the chip shortage, but not explaining why a car with a defined build date didn't already have inventory assigned. Maybe I'm expecting too much!

You are expecting too much, car manufacturing works with a just-in-time supply chain. This applies to every brand, not JLR specific. No manufacturer commits to a specific date for a factory order. There are a number of good reasons for that but yes, it's frustrating for us (I've received the same letter).
  • adds58
    United Kingdom 

adds58 wrote:
    Just learnt that my build has unfortunately been pushed back by a week and due to be completed by 18th June now and at the retailer for 9th July Sad

My car has been built! Should be at the retailed 9th July as per revised date... I'm hoping no further delays!
  • drwhopilot
    United Kingdom 

Good news! - so should be plain sailing now?

My build date previously slipped from 18 June to 2 July and no further news

Strange thing is that it is expected at retailer on 23 July. 3 weeks to get from factory to dealer seems excessive!

If there is any more slippage I may reluctantly have to consider deferring delivery to new registration 1 Sept...
  • MAPMA
    England 

For a truck, it's a 3 to 4 day travel from Nitra in Slovakia to London plus a few more days to retouch any unavoidable minimal cosmetic damage resulting from transporting a car on a truck while dealing with paperwork... I think the delay is on this last part, on the paperwork front, due to covid, some DVLA services are working much slower than normal, plus there is industrial action taking place within the DVLA.
    It tooks 6 weeks for the DVLA to return my driving licence after an address update, it used to take 4 to 5 working days.
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

Are Land Rovers delivered by road from Nitra?

Discovery 5 D300 Metropolitan.
  • MAPMA
    England 

Good question. I do not know, Slovakia is not a coastal country so I'm sure it's not ship. Even if the answer is train (and maybe a boat to cross the channel?) it doesn't change much on the reply, the timings would be roughly the same I reckon as would the need for small cosmetic repairs. It's definitely the DVLA bit that takes longer.
  • drwhopilot
    United Kingdom 

The three weeks elapsed is from factory to dealer. But I would have thought the DVLA only get involved in the registration process, between arrrival at the dealer and delivery to customer? Same with repairs - they would also happen after arrival at the dealer

3 weeks is an average of 2mph!!!
  • adds58
    United Kingdom 

adds58 wrote:

My car has been built! Should be at the retailed 9th July as per revised date... I'm hoping no further delays!

Car is now showing as "On Ship" as of last Friday and should be with the retailer as of 2nd July (week earlier than previously)! Still says retailed date of "9th July" though, not sure if this is something that the dealer sets?
  • drwhopilot
    United Kingdom 

All very good news.

The build date (once delayed already) for my car is this Friday. But The Times reported this week that the factory is now closed until further notice because of the chip shortage. Of course I've not heard anything official, but I'm only the customer Sad

I still find it pretty astonishing that they publish a build date without having pre-assigned inventory - pretty incompetant "hope for the best" planning in my opinion, and reputationally damaging for an engineering firm
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

These factories work on a just in time supply model which has historically worked just fine and without issues. They don’t store large amounts of parts, in some cases they might only arrive half a day or a day before they are being put into cars.

It’s for this reason it was big news when Brexit pros / cons were being discussed because delays at borders for parts would completely ruin this model. Of course haven’t really got to see if Brexit did / didn’t have an impact on UK based car factories because COVID happened and they ran into parts shortages globally.

I wouldn’t be hard on Land Rover on this personally, it’s an issue all companies, not just car companies are facing that use electronic chips in their products. Demand spiked without warning and it costs around $10 billion and 2 years to build more capacity with a new fab. That’s why there’s only a couple of companies globally that make chips because only a few can afford to do it.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Drwhopilot - The Machine that Changed the World is a good read on why the car industry is how it is (and lessons across all businesses).

Apparently the car manufacturers have caused themselves some issues here. When sales dropped on 2020, they cancelled chip contracts. Just as global chip demand went through the roof thanks to the pandemic. Now they are back begging for chips, with suppliers who have a full order book and who they burnt bridges with, along with the fact that they buy relatively cheap chips. As a chip manufacturer, who are you going to deal with….

I hear Toyota didn’t do this and have a relatively uninterrupted supply line. The book in the first paragraph explains why this is likely to be.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • adds58
    United Kingdom 

adds58 wrote:

Car is now showing as "On Ship" as of last Friday and should be with the retailer as of 2nd July (week earlier than previously)! Still says retailed date of "9th July" though, not sure if this is something that the dealer sets?

Car is now with the dealer and I will be picking up on Friday! Thumbs Up
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum