Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• drwhopilot
    United Kingdom 

Having been "committed to build" since early june, mine has slipped two weeks again. And yet I read the the factory is closed until further notice.

I'm beginning to suspect that my "committed to build" has been donating scarce parts eg chips to other builds - he who shouts loudest?
  • adds58
    United Kingdom 

Meant to post last week but the car has been handed over! Unfortunately side steps are still on back order so no idea when we will get those fitted. Car is a dream, very happy with it.

A photo of old and new:

A (not that great) photo of the new car:

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Mudflaps and door mouldings then your sorted
    Cool Thumbs Up

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • drwhopilot
    United Kingdom 

Hi Adds58

Reassuring that you are pleased with it. My last one was a D4 which was great. So after an interval with Mercedes will be pleased to get in D5.

Build date is today, so hoping it won't slip again. At least it has a VIN number now.
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

Looks lovely, which colour is that?

Also with regards to the side steps, is this so you can reach the roof easier or can get in our better?
  • MAPMA
    England 

I know the question wasn't for me but in my case (I also ordered the sidesteps) it's to access the roof. I 6ft tall and I struggle a lot to reach the roof of wife's Volvo XC40 to put bikes on, roof box, etc, I can only imagine on a Discovery.
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

Yeah, thanks for the answer. I'm also 6 foot and the one option I didn't add on mine was the £900 black roof. I think it probably does look nice but I'd probably only see it on my tip toes so not worth the money Laughing

I toyed with the idea on the side steps but at the moment not planning to put anything on the roof so going without, can always add on a bit later if change my mind. The boot with the rear seats down will already be far bigger than anything I've had before.
  • adds58
    United Kingdom 

FastLaneJB wrote:
    Looks lovely, which colour is that?

Also with regards to the side steps, is this so you can reach the roof easier or can get in our better?

Its Carpathian Grey and we love the colour!

Bit of both really for the side steps. With younger children and ferrying older parents its just useful to help them get in. Getting into the 3rd row seats is a bit tricky so hoping the steps will help with that too,
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

Looks lovely, I didn't want anything too dark as I'm not sure I have the time in my life to have both a wife and a black car with the demands both place on you Very Happy

Obviously, this isn't black but I wonder how close you can get with a dark colour before it becomes a lot of work to keep it looking clean. Of course do love a good dark colour, just the maintenance that puts me off.

It looks like a much darker colour on their configurator than it looks in your photos though you've got a lot of sunlight in the photos which might be why it looks lighter than I was expecting.

Jealous, want mine as well Big Cry
  • adds58
    United Kingdom 

The colour looks different in different lights and having come from a Black Disco 4, its a nice change and really works well with the black wheels and R-Dynamic accents. I'd highly recommend it.
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

Awesome. I had a Sahkir Orange M5 in the past which I had a love / disappoint lets call it relationship with the colour. On a sunny day it really popped and I loved it. However on a dark and dull day it looked more red and while not bad, it didn't have the same impact at all. Obviously with this country and our clouds, there were more days that didn't do it justice than there was which did sadly.

Mostly had blue cars though more often than not but don't think there's a really nice blue and it's again a time for a non-blue colour for me. A non-saloon, non-blue car both at the same time. I might need someone to hold my hand when I pick it up I'm so far out of my comfort zone Laughing
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

My 2019 build D5 was Carpathian Grey, coming from a carbon black BMW. CB was a gorgeous colour, but needed sunlight and to be clean. Carpathian was much easier, and still very special when clean and in the right light. When she spent Xmas and New Year in a dealer, and I had an Eiger Grey loaner, I realised that’s an easier colour in our climate. So that’s the colour of my current 2020 build car.

Side steps - auto access height is useful in the disco. But I actually prefer it in normal height, passengers didn't so was forever changing that setting. A 65% off offer from my local dealer persuaded me to fit deployable side steps a few months back. They are a nice bit of theatre and have made it so easy for my 4 year old to bound into the car, she couldn’t climb in easily before. Elderly relatives also find it much easier. Recommended if you carry either group

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Carpathian and Eiger re. my previous post. Sorry for the thread hijack!

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

Equilibrium wrote:
    My 2019 build D5 was Carpathian Grey, coming from a carbon black BMW. CB was a gorgeous colour, but needed sunlight and to be clean. Carpathian was much easier, and still very special when clean and in the right light. When she spent Xmas and New Year in a dealer, and I had an Eiger Grey loaner, I realised that’s an easier colour in our climate. So that’s the colour of my current 2020 build car.

Side steps - auto access height is useful in the disco. But I actually prefer it in normal height, passengers didn't so was forever changing that setting. A 65% off offer from my local dealer persuaded me to fit deployable side steps a few months back. They are a nice bit of theatre and have made it so easy for my 4 year old to bound into the car, she couldn’t climb in easily before. Elderly relatives also find it much easier. Recommended if you carry either group

Yeah I only had a black car once and that was enough for me with that colour. I’ve also tended to avoid silver as I had company cars for around 10+ years. I could have any colour I wanted as long as it was silver…

Both colours look nice to be fair on your cars. I feel like the newer Charente Grey might be a half way house between the two colours but not seen these in person.

I’ve ordered a Lantau Bronze but it’s a gamble as never seen it in person. It looks nice in the press photos…

I’ve told my wife that the Discovery is a Yorkie car, only for men. She’s quite small and has no interest at all on cars didn’t come with me on a test drive. Side steps are expensive. I’ll get her a little child’s step or something instead Laughing
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

I really like the bronze tinted colours and they’re a great look on the D5 imho. Much more interesting than the greys. Pre-facelift there was a lovely colour called silicon silver, much less bronze but still in that range (to my eye). But….my wife’s car is bronze and she didn’t want two the same (ish) colour on the drive!

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum