Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

Possible braking issue

My D5 seems to have developed an issue under braking. The symptoms are that for a given pressure on the brake pedal, the brakes feel like the are braking then easing off then grabbing again and so on until you come to a stop. It doesn’t happen every time I brake, and it doesn’t feel like brake shake as I had that on both one of my D3’s and really bad on a D4. Done nearly 27k miles and there still looks like a decent amount of front pad material left.

I do have a new set of front pads sitting in the garage so tempted to throw them in, but I can’t say this feels like a pad or disc issue.

Air in the brake fluid?

Any thoughts?

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Qwertyd5x
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Check your rear brakes. Mine were thru to the metal in 23k miles, no warnings, disks also f*****. Suddenly the fronts and ABS were having to work a lot harder. Front pads and disks still had plenty life left in them.
  • John C
    United Kingdom 

Is it definitely your brakes? I have a weird thing which feels just like that, but I am sure it's the engine braking... it's almost like you are downshifting through the gears as you come to a stop, but it's changing into too low a gear (you can actually see it happening on the rev counter). Never been aware of an autobox engine braking under normal driving before. I can't work out if it's a feature or a fault, but is maybe linked to some odd transmission whine I have.

Last edited by John C on 24th May 2021 3:54 pm. Edited 1 time in total

2024 Defender 130 Outbound Dynamic HSE, Carpathian Grey
    2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey, 2005 TDV6 D3, Cairns Blue 290K miler.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 

Now you mention it, maybe it is engine braking, I hadn’t noticed the Rev counter changing but will look next time it is happening.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 

Your right, it is engine braking, noticed the Rev counter change on the downshifts. Wonder why it’s started doing this recently?

More noticeable when coming to a stop downhill.

Al

• John C
    United Kingdom 

V interesting! Do you have any sort of transmission whine at low speed on overrun?

• John C
    United Kingdom 

(Ps autobox flush and reset doesn’t solve it)

• al cope
    United Kingdom 

None that’s noticeable

Al

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum