Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Reasonable expectations

I have been very happy with my D5. Until a couple of annoying noises developed.
    It has taken 4 visits to the dealer to fix one of the more obvious faults (fan belt idle pulley) but they have struggled to identify and fix the other (transmission) fault. They have acknowledged there is a noise changed a bearing to no avail and another prop shaft component also to no avail. They have reported it to Landrover and it’s in ‘their hands’. Which means my car has been sat for 3 weeks at the garage while LR technical come up (in their own dilatory time) with the next suggestion to try. There is no urgency in the communication with the dealer …so the dealer says.

Fortunately I have no need for my car at the moment (being retired and happy to stay isolated from people and places at the moment) and a I have got an Evoque ( Big Cry ) courtesy car to use if required.

But I am getting just a tad frustrated that they are dancing round the problem, trying quick, cheap ideas rather than biting the main bullet….whatever that may be.

I appreciate these vehicles are a lot more complicated than the prop and diff on my old Triumph Herald (back in the day) But what clearly ‘sounds’ like a diff problem to my ear seems to scare them to even look into that suggestion.

So where do I go from here?

Do I just sit and wait it out for x more weeks or can I (and how to) apply some pressure to get LR to commit to a bigger effort to get it sorted? What are reasonable expectations for repair times?

The car is under extended LR warranty and the fact they have heard the noise and considered it to be ‘out of the norm’ (or they wouldn’t have started replacing bits already) should mean there is something there to be fixed.

I would be interested in any suggestions from member similar experiences as to how to press the right button to speed things up.

Thanks
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

As it’s under extended warranty shouldn’t you get onto the schemes provider, namely Care Care and complain to them? They are under writing the bill, so any work is carried out on their behalf.

Isn’t there also something about they give you 7 days worth of a curtesy car and that’s it? Just avoid that topic or tread warily round that one if it comes up unless the dealerships doing it off their own bat.

Anyway, gives you some focus when your retired. Laughing
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Contact JLR customer services and try to get them to help expedite the process from their end.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

Another week, another 7 days rest for the car….nothing happening at the dealers. Censored

Called in to make sure they were still in business.

Apparently they have been waiting for a ‘special tool’ to (hopefully) locate the source of
    the transmission noise.

I did wonder if it was a long handled screwdriver they will try sticking to their ear in the old fashioned way😂

Then Today, the car took a short trip to a racing performance garage round the corner from the dealer (don’t you love the remote app?) I assume to use their Maha dyno facility…and the ‘special tool’.

Trying hard not to get excited 🙄
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

It’s a dilemma. I’ve known people to have waited six months and longer to get a resolution in your situation. The dealerships would say they’ve given you a courtesy car and are doing all they can.

You really need to know what wrong with it to progress under the Consumer Law Act, you have 6 years to reject it, but with a car of this age, you have to prove the fault was something inherent at the time of manufacture.

The other way is to appeal directly to LR to resolve the situation, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

That’s a depressing prospect. 😱
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

Update:
    Well after a month of mainly head scratching, the ‘special tool’ has diagnosed the supercharger causing the pulsating noise at 30mph. Really? 🤔

Unfortunately, the parts they need are apparently on back order with no timescale for delivery available.

My car is therefore being ‘discharged’ until they get the parts….or something blows up, shortly before I do!

Never experienced such protracted and clueless performance from a (Inchcape) dealership.

My previous (Volvo) dealers seemed to know their cars. In 30+ years they never had the car in their garage longer than overnight. Maybe it’s a sign of the times?

Apparently Inchcape have a ‘super tech’ who only visits on a weekly basis (touring round all the garages in the area where there are more thorny problems) It’s as if the resident mechanics don’t know their own vehicles and need to wait for him.

Moan over.
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

This sounds like the issues we have in the IT sector to be honest where I feel like we are approaching peak complexity. That's not to say things won't get more complex, they obviously will but less and less people are skilled enough to be able to deal with that complexity.

Once you get to this point, training people up also takes such a long time and at such a great cost that companies will just try to hire already skilled people plus pay them more to do so as it's cheaper. Then you hit the problem that new people aren't getting trained up hardly at all.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum